Use, Not Discard Wash Water...

  • Ronald Greek
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2008
      Folks,

      I cannot understand why there would need to be choice
      made between washing, and watering the garden… Use
      garden-safe soaps, and water the garden with the wash
      water…

      "Traveler in Thyme" posted: "… Dry as a bone, no rain
      in sight… It takes 300 gallons of water to soak our
      garden patch… but I don't want to use up all our
      bathing and washing water…"

      Ronald Frederick Greek
      Yuma, Arizona, USA
      Attorney at Law

      SustainableTucson@yahoogroups.com

      "If an ethical foundation is lacking, a civilization collapses. Civilization exists in the effort to perfect humanity, and originates when a population is inspired to attain progress and to serve."
      Albert Schweitzer.

      ""You can't solve a problem with the same kind of thinking that created it in the first place."
      Albert Einstein

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • Pat Meadows
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 27, 2008
        On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 06:26:36 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

        >Folks,
        >
        >I cannot understand why there would need to be choice
        >made between washing, and watering the garden… Use
        >garden-safe soaps, and water the garden with the wash
        >water…

        It's a nuisance but it can be done, and it works.

        I've done it, during a drought. We put the washing machine exhaust hose
        into a garbage pail (and stood there and held it while it drained, so it
        wouldn't flop out again), and then carried the water in buckets to the
        garden. We also kept the bath plug in while showering, and scooped out the
        water and carried it to the garden.

        Although we now live in an area which (so far) has too much water (rain and
        snow) rather than not enough, I'd like to get rain barrels and catch the
        water from our roof for use in the garden. We live on a slope, and we
        wouldn't have to carry water from the rain barrels to the garden; a hose
        would work. There are gadgets that allow the first water to run off (to
        clean the roof) before catching it from the gutters.

        Pat
        -- Northern Pennsylvania
        http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/
        'Every one of us can do something to protect and care for our planet.
        We should live in such a way that makes a future possible.'
        - Thich Nhat Hanh
      • Warron van Riet
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 29, 2008
          Hi Happy people,

          Living on a greek island where we see no rain for 7
          months a year(summer) I`ve had to reuse everybit of
          water we consume. all goes into a 3 stage seperator
          tank and I pump the end product throughout the garden
          though not to the veggie patch as the toilet waste
          also goes to the tank. However If one were to
          redirect the waste water to a seperate tank it would
          be possible to use the grey water for everything. all
          of the above assumes that biodegrable cleaning proucts
          are used. I use the ecover brand name and all works
          amazingly well. I recover 100% of all water the house
          uses which adds up to 8 cubic meteres a week for our
          family of 4. In addition when we built the house I had
          an underground tank built to collect all the rain
          water which is quite alot as we have flat rooftops
          here which catch quite a bit of rain.

          Warron.

          Stinky water is better than no water! :)

          now.
          http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/