Re: Plot preparation: Cardboard...is it toxic?

  • Robert Alcock
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 26 1:09 AM
      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Travis Philp" <trphilp@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the tip Andrea. I checked out those "heavy metal"
      discussions you told me about but they didn't talk about cardboard
      though.

      > Does anyone else know whether cardboard is safe or not?

      I just happened to read about this in Patrick Whitefield's book "The
      Earth Care Manual" (highly recommended btw). On p197 it says "This was
      a problem in the past but heavy metals have now been eliminated from
      inks... this is dramatically illustrated by the analysis of recycled
      paper mill sludge.... it turns out that the content of heavy metals in
      the sludge is lower than in most natural soils." I think you can be
      safe in using cardboard, whether with or without ink.

      Here are some photos of our new raised beds complete with cardboard mulch!

      http://www.lesspress.com/twiki/pub/Media/Gallery/raisedbeds.jpg

      Robert