Re: Edible/Useful Street Trees?

  • fairly obvious, I suspect
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2002
      I travelled to Moscow, Russia, recently. Apples were commonly used as
      street trees there, although due to fruit drop and other problems, I
      don't recomend this. Basswood (Tilia species) are commonly planted in
      Chicago. No one uses them, but the flowers could be used in tea.
      Frankly this seems more hazardous, in re. urban air pollution, than
      fruit because of the higher surface area (exposed to smog) to volume
      ratio. I've never seen *intentional* edible landscaping of any sort
      practiced in Chicago, though. Do New Englanders tap their street
      maple trees? I forsee a "tragedy of the commons" problem arising
      since (at least in the Rust Belt where I currently live) property
      rights to streetside areas have eroded to the point where they are
      practically city property.

      Street hedges seem to pose less of a hazard from fruit drop. Many
      plants seem suitable: nanking/bush cherries, Rosa rugosa, kumquats
      (subtropics), highbush cranberry (esp. for shade), even severely
      pruned mulberries. However shrubs don't shade drivers from the summer
      sun. Again, the "Commons?"

      --Erik.