Re: aging insomniac

  • Vanessa King
    Message 1 of 38 , Feb 11, 2008
      Winnie

      I can recommend several herbs which either grow in the garden or are usually readily
      available.

      First things first - diuretics.

      There are several plants you can add to your diet which can help with this:

      Onions and garlic (also help to regulate blood pressure - good with hormonal ups and
      downs)
      celery
      dandelion (the old English name for this used to be called pisse-bed so you can guess
      how effective this is!) young leaves make a delicious salad, or you can buy commercially
      prepared tea from most supermarkets and chemists these days. The best way of taking
      dandelion is in a tea - bruise two or three leaves and place in a teapot, steep with boiling
      water for 5 minutes then pour. You can add cinammon which is a natural insulin regulator
      (another common side effect of menopause is the propensity to blood sugar problems).
      Beware when picking as the sap can stain your fingers brown though.

      If you want to be really natural I would recommend using cleavers or goose grass as it is
      also known. It has many different names depending on where in the world you come from
      (my native Hampshire we call it Bobby bright buttons!), This is the plant that gives the cat
      those sticky buds or bobbles in their fur! It is a powerful diuretic and was used in English
      herbal healing for the treatment of kidney stones and cystitus so is a very good diuretic.

      I dry mine (when weeding!) but as with the dandelion you can use fresh - you can use the
      bobbles (the fruits) as well as the leaves and the stalk. I like to mix it with normal tea for
      taste as it does rather taste of dried grass! Just a small handful (only 1 teaspoon of dried)
      will be enough. You can mix it with fruit teas also. I have not found this in any
      commercial preparation. I dont recommend taking this for more than a few days at a
      time.

      Somnulants

      I caution you about eating too much lettuce. Although we can eat lettuce, in quantity it is
      actually quite toxic. All it will get you is diarrhoea and stomach cramps! By all means have
      a lettuce for say, lunch or in a sandwich but dont eat too much. Try to eat the stronger
      varieties - lollo rosso, or even watercress or baby spinach if you can. Not only is this
      packed with more vitamins and iron (essential for menopause as there is a danger of
      anaemia).

      I would recommend St Johns wort tea - not only is this a natural mild anti-depressant (to
      counteract all those hormonal ups and downs) but it is also a good somnulant.

      If you are already on anti-depressant medication it is not a good idea to take this with it
      (it is itself an MOAI), also do not take at the same time as eating cheese and plain
      chocolate as these too contain MOAIs. The old wives' tale about cheese and nightmares is
      actually true!

      If you want a gentle sedative - I can highly recommend valerian root tea again - readily
      available in chemists and most supermarkets. Both St Johns wort and valerian has a
      pleasant fennel like taste. Neither are "knock out drops" so dont feel they are like sleeping
      tablets. I take Valerian most nights myself.

      It is available in health food stores and chemists in tablet form too.

      Hops is also a very good somnulant - Grannie's old remedy of a glass of stout before
      bedtime was a very good idea! Packed full of iron and malt and hops - all good for
      menopausal symptoms.

      In Norfolk, they used to use a herb that grows everywhere called "ale hoof" as a substitute
      to hops in beer making - also known as ground ivy. This can also be dried and used as a
      tea.

      Its a good stomachic (stops diarrhoea and stomach cramps) and also a diurtetic.

      Before using these herbs - I suggest you check them out first on the net to make sure you
      are able to take them or discuss it with your GP.

      Hope this helps!

      Nessie x

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Mary Lloyd <mary@...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone,
      > I am looking for some suppliers of Lactuca Virosa products, or
      > any other lactuca that would do the job as well. The sedative and
      > diuretic properties are of particular interest to me, since I am
      > struggling with insomnia and frequent urination through the night as a
      > result of...hormonal thingies...post menopausal...don't want sleeping
      > tablets.
      > My fridge is full of lettuce. I will munch my way through it
      > while I wait for your kind response.
      > Blessings!
      > Whinnie

    • Tim Randles
      Message 38 of 38 , Feb 22, 2008
        Great info here, and thanks for the recipie, I think I'll actually try that!

        Cheers.. Tim