cross pollination

  • Travis Philp
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6 2:21 PM
      I know this is a very novice question but its one that I haven't found a clear answer for. I'm self taught and have never come across this information. I was hoping someone on the list would be so kind as to shed light on this for me:

      If I plant say, wild strawberries near a cultivated variety, will the offspring of the wild strawberry plants take on some of the cultivated varieties genes and traits? I am assuming yes but maybe I'm misunderstanding things. I'd like to plant a native species forest garden but I also would like to have cultivars of some of the native plants but not if I will be weakening the gene pool.