Re: [pfaf] Re: Seeds Paw Paw tree

  • Mathew Waehner
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 6, 2008
      Pawpaws would do quite well in NC- I am going to plant several here in
      Raleigh. I'm researching the best sources and varieties- feel free to
      contact me, I will have mine picked out in a week or two.

      The pawpaw needs shade for the first couple years of life, they were greatly
      reduced when the forests were clear cut. They are said to be quite common
      in the swamps of eastern NC.

      On 2/5/08, Gloria Alexander <truthgha@...> wrote:

      > Peggy, how would the Paw Paw tree do in NC close to SC line?
      > they sound good, and do remember this song, my mother used to sing to us.
      > Paw, paw patch!
      > gloria
      >
      > Geir Flatabø <geirf@... <geirf%40ulvik.org>> wrote: I live in
      > Norway,
      > a bit difficult getting plants / seedlings,
      > preferably seeds of the northernmost localities would be nice to get hold
      > of ..
      >
      > Geir Flatabø
      >
      > 2008/2/3, Peggy <peg6012@... <peg6012%40yahoo.com>>:
      > > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com <pfaf%40yahoogroups.com>, Pat Meadows
      > <pat@...> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > American paw-paw is a tree, incidentally. It's perennial, too, of
      > > course,
      > > > but it is definitely a tree. :)
      > > >

      > > > I live in the USA, in the state of MO - zone 5b. Paw paw trees can be
      > > found in alot of our wild wooded areas. This year, the conservation
      > > dept has added paw paw's to their plant list. I've ordered 25 of the
      > > small seedlings. They are a great understory tree. The fruits are
      > > bigger than pears and taste like bananas. Old timer's ate then all the
      > > time. Now days, many people have never even heard of them. Wildlife
      > > treasure them also. Years ago, there was a song about them - "picking
      > > up paw paw's, putting them in my pocket -". Must have had big pockets.
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > Gloria Hartis-Alexander
      > Believing God
      > www.marykay.com/truthgha
      > MaryKay Shopping24/7

      Matt

      The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists
      who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood." - Dr. Martin Luther
      King Jr.

    • Peggy
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 6, 2008
        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Gloria Alexander <truthgha@...> wrote:

        > Peggy, how would the Paw Paw tree do in NC close to SC line?
        > they sound good, and do remember this song, my mother used to sing to
        us.
        > Paw, paw patch!
        > gloria
        >

        > Gloria, I am the last person to ask about trees - just about flunked
        out of the courses in hort. Ha,ha only it's not funny, it's really
        sad.
        There is a Paw Paw Foundation - they should be able to tell you.>
        http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/ppf/default.htm
        Hope this will help, Peg

        > ---------------------------------

      • Gloria Alexander
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 7, 2008
          You are so funny Peggy, thanks for your reply and lead. I will check out this site.
          See Kentucky, so I bet we can grow them, since KY and NC are much alike in climate. Thanks!
          Blessings,
          Gloria

          Peggy <peg6012@...> wrote: --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Gloria Alexander <truthgha@...> wrote:

          > Peggy, how would the Paw Paw tree do in NC close to SC line?
          > they sound good, and do remember this song, my mother used to sing to
          us.
          > Paw, paw patch!
          > gloria
          >

          > Gloria, I am the last person to ask about trees - just about flunked
          out of the courses in hort. Ha,ha only it's not funny, it's really
          sad.
          There is a Paw Paw Foundation - they should be able to tell you.>
          http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/ppf/default.htm
          Hope this will help, Peg

          > ---------------------------------

          Gloria Hartis-Alexander
          Believing God
          www.marykay.com/truthgha
          MaryKay Shopping24/7

        • pazogie
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 30, 2008
            Hello Jim,

            What a great guy you are! I could use a few seeds of
            the pinea and the monkey puzzle.

            I am halfway around the world, but that should not
            discaourage such a nice and determined man like you.

            My address:

            Paz B. Reyes
            14-I Villa Teresita Rd
            Osmena Blvd
            Cebu City Philippines 6000

            If it is possible for you to send the seeds thru my
            brod Leo Reyes, an MD in Woodstock Illinois, I would
            appreciate it very much. Leo is leaving in three weeks
            time to visit our recuperating mom who is with me here
            in Cebu.

            I have cc'd him so he can give you his current
            address, and a sister in Ca who may have the time to
            contact you if you can give me your number.

            Thanks Jim, I truly like people who try to help in
            whatever ways they can in our fight to green the world
            to give us more clean breathing air.

            Sincerely,

            Paz

            Be a better friend, newshound, and
          • wellsforzoe
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 6, 2008
              I am working in Northern Malawi and I'm looking for suitable seeds.
              At present I need a supplier for Velvet bean and Yam bean seeds to grow
              and research.
              Can anyone help?
              John
            • Diane Lee Long
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 6, 2008
                Hello John,

                I believe that Michael who is a member of this web group has a web site that he sells the yams:

                http://www.michaels4gardens.com/

                I have received plants from him before and they are top quality plants. I was so pleased that I have just placed another order from him today.

                Diane

                wellsforzoe <wellsforzoe@...> wrote:
                I am working in Northern Malawi and I'm looking for suitable seeds.
                At present I need a supplier for Velvet bean and Yam bean seeds to grow
                and research.
                Can anyone help?
                John

              • malmulh
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 6, 2008
                  --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "epicormicshoot" <epicormicshoot@...>
                  wrote:
                  >hi raf
                  try your local garden supply they are also known as abo seed

                  malachy
                  > Hi all,
                  >
                  > just wondering where i can source seeds for plants such as: ramps,
                  > eleagnus ssp, groundnuts, american paw-paw, good king henry, miners
                  > lettuce etc etc. - tasty and usefull perennials.
                  >
                  > im in melbourne, australia and these are all hard to come by.
                  > thanks
                  >
                  > raf

                  hi raf
                  try your local garden supply they are also known as abo seed

                  malachy
                • Pat Meadows
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 6, 2008
                    On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 16:13:57 -0000, you wrote:

                    >I am working in Northern Malawi and I'm looking for suitable seeds.
                    >At present I need a supplier for Velvet bean and Yam bean seeds to grow
                    >and research.
                    >Can anyone help?

                    You might want to contact ECHO. This is *exactly* what they do - give seeds
                    to less-wealthy nations, also they supply technical support on how to grow
                    them, etc.

                    www.echonet.org

                    Pat
                    --
                    Northern Pennsylvania

                    CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
                    http://www.thehungersite.com/
                  • Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 14, 2008
                      Dear all,

                      I am having the seeds of the following fruits

                      Indian curry leaf - Murraya koeningii

                      http://www.fruitipedia.com/gandhelu-Murraya%20koeningii.htm

                      Jamun - Syzigium cumunii

                      http://www.fruitipedia.com/jamun.htm

                      You can see the details of these fruits at above Fruitipedia links.

                      If anyone is interested, he may get back to me.

                      Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
                      www.fruitipedia.com