Re: [pfaf] black walnut trees - growing under

  • Travis Philp
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 4, 2008
      Heres a great link to get you started. Its has a list of naturally occuring companions as well as other 'useful' plants that are juglone tolerant. Here you go:

      http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/permaculture/2005-February/021522.html

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 5, 2008
        I think you will find that walnuts are among the most voracious in
        terms of non companionship, they like to be on their own, it is almost
        impossible to grow anything else anywhere near them except perhaps
        asparagus, which is delicious when served with walnuts.

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Travis Philp" <trphilp@...> wrote:

        > Heres a great link to get you started. Its has a list of naturally
        occuring companions as well as other 'useful' plants that are juglone
        tolerant. Here you go:

        > http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/permaculture/2005-
        February/021522.html

      • Griselda Mussett
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 5, 2008
          I agree it is v hard to grow anything under walnut, esp American black
          walnut (European not so bad).

          The leaves - especially with rain dripping off them - exude a toxin or
          poison which gives the tree a clear area with no competition. I
          managed to grow spring bulbs and flowers near to the trunk of mine, but
          nothing further out under the branches and I wondered if I would want
          to eat leaves which had had this poisonous drip on them. I never tried
          asparagus!

          Traditionally on smallholdings walnuts were grown in hedges to push
          this bad effect out onto the neighbours' land, and in return some of
          the crop would be given as compensation.

          Each year some of the walnuts were picked while green, pierced, salted
          in brine, and left to dry in the sun when they turned black, and then
          bottled.

          Griselda

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 5, 2008
            I would have to disagree with the notion that "it is almost
            impossible to grow anything else anywhere near them".
            I have seen a great variety of plants grow amongst mature and sapling black walnut trees. Yes, the juglone toxin that Walnuts release does limit what species you can use in a walnut polyculture but as many on this pfaf list may already know, and as the link I have provided will show, there are still a lot of options. I just realized that the link I sent before was not the full web address. My apologies, here is the link:

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 5, 2008
              Maybe this is a regional issue but I don't see how anyone can say that nothing can compete with or grow near Black Walnuts. I have seen wild polycultures with my own eyes. There was a row of 6 mature american black walnut trees at the farm I worked at this season. Underneath the walnuts were gooseberries, currants, both red and black raspberries, as well as wild grapes and a few shrubs which I couldn't identify. They were all doing very well despite the shade and the juglone. I have seen walnuts in the wild of all sizes that sometimes had the appearance of being choked out by a variety of other plants. Could it be that the ground cover underneath the walnuts could be the major suppressor? Its hard for many plants to get established in say, a tallgrass situation.

              I can only account for actually seeing a few of these examples with my own eyes but I would like to know if any of you have seen these plants fail under a walnut, knowing full well that it was the presence of the walnut tree, and not some other factor that stunted the other plants:

              American Black Currant - Ribes americanum
              European Currant - Ribes nigra, Ribes rubrum, Ribes alba
              Missouri Gooseberry - Ribes missouriensis
              American Elderberry - Sambucus canadensis
              Black Raspberry - Rubus ideaus
              Siberian Pea Shrub - Caragana arboescens
              Mulberries - Morus nigra, Morus alba
              Alpine Strawberries - Fragaria vesca
              Goldenseal - Hydrastis canadensis
              Wild Ginger - Asarum canadense
              Pawpaw - Asimina triloba
              Redbud - Cercis canadensis - legume
              Bamboo - Phyllostachys spp.
              "Rose of Sharon" Hibiscus - Hibiscus Syriacus
              Lamb's Quarters - Chenopodium alba
              Catnip - Nepata cataria
              Daylily - Hemerocallis sp
              Sunchokes - Helianthus tuberosa

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 6, 2008
                Ive pasted this from a UK Permaculture website: Sometimes, the toxins
                of one plant totally destroy the health or growth of certain other
                plants. A Black Walnut tree, planted within 60 feet of your garden,
                can inhibit the growth and/or development of vegetables, azaleas,
                rhododendrons, blackberries, lilacs, peonies, and apple trees. It
                gives off a toxin called juglone which can do some serious damage to
                other plants. This chemical reaction is known as allelopathy.
                Sunflowers also have allelopathic properties.

              • Gloria Alexander
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 7, 2008
                  Must say I have black walnut trees and there are dogwood trees and red bud (Judas Trees) growing fine near them, within the stated 60'. I also had one come up next to my veg garden couple years ago and need to remove it due to shading the garden, but my lima beans, herbs, a volunteer squash vine (which did tooooooooo well for me) collards did fine. These are within 50' or less from my black walnut trees.Know there is medicinal use for parasites with blackwalnut leaves etc. Just thought you might like to know that.

                  vic_doyle <vic_doyle@...> wrote: Ive pasted this from a UK Permaculture website: Sometimes, the toxins

                  Gloria Hartis-Alexander
                  Believing God
                  www.marykay.com/truthgha
                  MaryKay Shopping24/7

                • omoak108
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 10, 2008
                    What about fruit and nut small tree size? Or nitrogen fixing
                    shrubs?...augustifolia (not sure of spelling).