Re: Edible Hibiscus

  • Traveler in Thyme
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2008
      I don't know if the seed pods are tasty, but hibiscus flowers are sweet and
      make lovely, edible decorations for cakes and buffets, and brew a great cup
      of tea. We eat our Althea (Rose of Sharon) flowers, also, as they are in
      the hibiscus family, not so strong flavored but like a hibiscus, they will
      stay open for a whole day, without being in a vase of water. This is why
      hibiscus flowers are used in Hawaiian leis, and they look beautiful as
      corsages and hair ornaments.

      I had a pet rat who LOVED althea blossoms and would eat a whole bouquet in a
      few minutes........

      ---Marcia Cash
      Traveler in Thyme
      http://www.travelerinthyme.com