Re: Seeds

  • Peggy
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 3 12:47 AM
      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Pat Meadows <pat@...> wrote:

      > American paw-paw is a tree, incidentally. It's perennial, too, of
      course,
      > but it is definitely a tree. :)
      >

      > I live in the USA, in the state of MO - zone 5b. Paw paw trees can be
      found in alot of our wild wooded areas. This year, the conservation
      dept has added paw paw's to their plant list. I've ordered 25 of the
      small seedlings. They are a great understory tree. The fruits are
      bigger than pears and taste like bananas. Old timer's ate then all the
      time. Now days, many people have never even heard of them. Wildlife
      treasure them also. Years ago, there was a song about them - "picking
      up paw paw's, putting them in my pocket -". Must have had big pockets.
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 3 7:04 AM
        I live in Norway,
        a bit difficult getting plants / seedlings,
        preferably seeds of the northernmost localities would be nice to get hold of ..

        Geir Flatabø

        2008/2/3, Peggy <peg6012@...>:
        > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Pat Meadows <pat@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > American paw-paw is a tree, incidentally. It's perennial, too, of
        > course,
        > > but it is definitely a tree. :)
        > >

        > > I live in the USA, in the state of MO - zone 5b. Paw paw trees can be
        > found in alot of our wild wooded areas. This year, the conservation
        > dept has added paw paw's to their plant list. I've ordered 25 of the
        > small seedlings. They are a great understory tree. The fruits are
        > bigger than pears and taste like bananas. Old timer's ate then all the
        > time. Now days, many people have never even heard of them. Wildlife
        > treasure them also. Years ago, there was a song about them - "picking
        > up paw paw's, putting them in my pocket -". Must have had big pockets.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Gloria Alexander
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 5 7:31 AM
          Peggy, how would the Paw Paw tree do in NC close to SC line?
          they sound good, and do remember this song, my mother used to sing to us.
          Paw, paw patch!
          gloria

          Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote: I live in Norway,

          2008/2/3, Peggy <peg6012@...>:
          > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Pat Meadows <pat@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > American paw-paw is a tree, incidentally. It's perennial, too, of
          > course,
          > > but it is definitely a tree. :)
          > >

          > > I live in the USA, in the state of MO - zone 5b. Paw paw trees can be
          > found in alot of our wild wooded areas. This year, the conservation
          > dept has added paw paw's to their plant list. I've ordered 25 of the
          > small seedlings. They are a great understory tree. The fruits are
          > bigger than pears and taste like bananas. Old timer's ate then all the
          > time. Now days, many people have never even heard of them. Wildlife
          > treasure them also. Years ago, there was a song about them - "picking
          > up paw paw's, putting them in my pocket -". Must have had big pockets.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Gloria Hartis-Alexander
          Believing God
          www.marykay.com/truthgha
          MaryKay Shopping24/7

        • Mathew Waehner
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 6 7:28 AM
            Pawpaws would do quite well in NC- I am going to plant several here in
            Raleigh. I'm researching the best sources and varieties- feel free to
            contact me, I will have mine picked out in a week or two.

            The pawpaw needs shade for the first couple years of life, they were greatly
            reduced when the forests were clear cut. They are said to be quite common
            in the swamps of eastern NC.

            On 2/5/08, Gloria Alexander <truthgha@...> wrote:

            > Peggy, how would the Paw Paw tree do in NC close to SC line?
            > they sound good, and do remember this song, my mother used to sing to us.
            > Paw, paw patch!
            > gloria
            >
            > Geir Flatabø <geirf@... <geirf%40ulvik.org>> wrote: I live in
            > Norway,
            > a bit difficult getting plants / seedlings,
            > preferably seeds of the northernmost localities would be nice to get hold
            > of ..
            >
            > Geir Flatabø
            >
            > 2008/2/3, Peggy <peg6012@... <peg6012%40yahoo.com>>:
            > > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com <pfaf%40yahoogroups.com>, Pat Meadows
            > <pat@...> wrote:
            > > >

            > > > American paw-paw is a tree, incidentally. It's perennial, too, of
            > > course,
            > > > but it is definitely a tree. :)
            > > >

            > > > I live in the USA, in the state of MO - zone 5b. Paw paw trees can be
            > > found in alot of our wild wooded areas. This year, the conservation
            > > dept has added paw paw's to their plant list. I've ordered 25 of the
            > > small seedlings. They are a great understory tree. The fruits are
            > > bigger than pears and taste like bananas. Old timer's ate then all the
            > > time. Now days, many people have never even heard of them. Wildlife
            > > treasure them also. Years ago, there was a song about them - "picking
            > > up paw paw's, putting them in my pocket -". Must have had big pockets.
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            > >

            > Gloria Hartis-Alexander
            > Believing God
            > www.marykay.com/truthgha
            > MaryKay Shopping24/7

            Matt

            The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists
            who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood." - Dr. Martin Luther
            King Jr.

          • Peggy
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 6 8:06 AM
              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Gloria Alexander <truthgha@...> wrote:

              > Peggy, how would the Paw Paw tree do in NC close to SC line?
              > they sound good, and do remember this song, my mother used to sing to
              us.
              > Paw, paw patch!
              > gloria
              >

              > Gloria, I am the last person to ask about trees - just about flunked
              out of the courses in hort. Ha,ha only it's not funny, it's really
              sad.
              There is a Paw Paw Foundation - they should be able to tell you.>
              http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/ppf/default.htm
              Hope this will help, Peg

              > ---------------------------------

            • Gloria Alexander
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 7 4:33 AM
                You are so funny Peggy, thanks for your reply and lead. I will check out this site.
                See Kentucky, so I bet we can grow them, since KY and NC are much alike in climate. Thanks!
                Blessings,
                Gloria

                Peggy <peg6012@...> wrote: --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Gloria Alexander <truthgha@...> wrote:

                > Peggy, how would the Paw Paw tree do in NC close to SC line?
                > they sound good, and do remember this song, my mother used to sing to
                us.
                > Paw, paw patch!
                > gloria
                >

                > Gloria, I am the last person to ask about trees - just about flunked
                out of the courses in hort. Ha,ha only it's not funny, it's really
                sad.
                There is a Paw Paw Foundation - they should be able to tell you.>
                http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/ppf/default.htm
                Hope this will help, Peg

                > ---------------------------------

                Gloria Hartis-Alexander
                Believing God
                www.marykay.com/truthgha
                MaryKay Shopping24/7

              • pazogie
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 30, 2008
                  Hello Jim,

                  What a great guy you are! I could use a few seeds of
                  the pinea and the monkey puzzle.

                  I am halfway around the world, but that should not
                  discaourage such a nice and determined man like you.

                  My address:

                  Paz B. Reyes
                  14-I Villa Teresita Rd
                  Osmena Blvd
                  Cebu City Philippines 6000

                  If it is possible for you to send the seeds thru my
                  brod Leo Reyes, an MD in Woodstock Illinois, I would
                  appreciate it very much. Leo is leaving in three weeks
                  time to visit our recuperating mom who is with me here
                  in Cebu.

                  I have cc'd him so he can give you his current
                  address, and a sister in Ca who may have the time to
                  contact you if you can give me your number.

                  Thanks Jim, I truly like people who try to help in
                  whatever ways they can in our fight to green the world
                  to give us more clean breathing air.

                  Sincerely,

                  Paz

                  Be a better friend, newshound, and
                • wellsforzoe
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 6, 2008
                    I am working in Northern Malawi and I'm looking for suitable seeds.
                    At present I need a supplier for Velvet bean and Yam bean seeds to grow
                    and research.
                    Can anyone help?
                    John
                  • Diane Lee Long
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 6, 2008
                      Hello John,

                      I believe that Michael who is a member of this web group has a web site that he sells the yams:

                      http://www.michaels4gardens.com/

                      I have received plants from him before and they are top quality plants. I was so pleased that I have just placed another order from him today.

                      Diane

                      wellsforzoe <wellsforzoe@...> wrote:
                      I am working in Northern Malawi and I'm looking for suitable seeds.
                      At present I need a supplier for Velvet bean and Yam bean seeds to grow
                      and research.
                      Can anyone help?
                      John

                    • malmulh
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 6, 2008
                        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "epicormicshoot" <epicormicshoot@...>
                        wrote:
                        >hi raf
                        try your local garden supply they are also known as abo seed

                        malachy
                        > Hi all,
                        >
                        > just wondering where i can source seeds for plants such as: ramps,
                        > eleagnus ssp, groundnuts, american paw-paw, good king henry, miners
                        > lettuce etc etc. - tasty and usefull perennials.
                        >
                        > im in melbourne, australia and these are all hard to come by.
                        > thanks
                        >
                        > raf

                        hi raf
                        try your local garden supply they are also known as abo seed

                        malachy
                      • Pat Meadows
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 6, 2008
                          On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 16:13:57 -0000, you wrote:

                          >I am working in Northern Malawi and I'm looking for suitable seeds.
                          >At present I need a supplier for Velvet bean and Yam bean seeds to grow
                          >and research.
                          >Can anyone help?

                          You might want to contact ECHO. This is *exactly* what they do - give seeds
                          to less-wealthy nations, also they supply technical support on how to grow
                          them, etc.

                          www.echonet.org

                          Pat
                          --
                          Northern Pennsylvania

                          CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
                          http://www.thehungersite.com/
                        • Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 14, 2008
                            Dear all,

                            I am having the seeds of the following fruits

                            Indian curry leaf - Murraya koeningii

                            http://www.fruitipedia.com/gandhelu-Murraya%20koeningii.htm

                            Jamun - Syzigium cumunii

                            http://www.fruitipedia.com/jamun.htm

                            You can see the details of these fruits at above Fruitipedia links.

                            If anyone is interested, he may get back to me.

                            Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
                            www.fruitipedia.com