black walnut trees - growing under

  • Peggy
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3 4:54 AM
      What kinds of nuts, fruits, vegetables, and herbs, will grow under or
      near black walnut trees? We have alot of these on our land and don't
      want to cut them down or make this a walnut farm.
    • Travis Philp
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 4 8:42 AM
        Heres a great link to get you started. Its has a list of naturally occuring companions as well as other 'useful' plants that are juglone tolerant. Here you go:

        http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/permaculture/2005-February/021522.html

        What kinds of nuts, fruits, vegetables, and herbs, will grow under or
        near black walnut trees? We have alot of these on our land and don't
        want to cut them down or make this a walnut farm.
      • vic_doyle
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 5 6:20 AM
          I think you will find that walnuts are among the most voracious in
          terms of non companionship, they like to be on their own, it is almost
          impossible to grow anything else anywhere near them except perhaps
          asparagus, which is delicious when served with walnuts.

          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Travis Philp" <trphilp@...> wrote:

          > Heres a great link to get you started. Its has a list of naturally
          occuring companions as well as other 'useful' plants that are juglone
          tolerant. Here you go:

          > http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/permaculture/2005-
          February/021522.html

        • Griselda Mussett
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 5 6:50 AM
            I agree it is v hard to grow anything under walnut, esp American black
            walnut (European not so bad).

            The leaves - especially with rain dripping off them - exude a toxin or
            poison which gives the tree a clear area with no competition. I
            managed to grow spring bulbs and flowers near to the trunk of mine, but
            nothing further out under the branches and I wondered if I would want
            to eat leaves which had had this poisonous drip on them. I never tried
            asparagus!

            Traditionally on smallholdings walnuts were grown in hedges to push
            this bad effect out onto the neighbours' land, and in return some of
            the crop would be given as compensation.

            Each year some of the walnuts were picked while green, pierced, salted
            in brine, and left to dry in the sun when they turned black, and then
            bottled.

            Griselda

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 5 7:21 AM
              I would have to disagree with the notion that "it is almost
              impossible to grow anything else anywhere near them".
              I have seen a great variety of plants grow amongst mature and sapling black walnut trees. Yes, the juglone toxin that Walnuts release does limit what species you can use in a walnut polyculture but as many on this pfaf list may already know, and as the link I have provided will show, there are still a lot of options. I just realized that the link I sent before was not the full web address. My apologies, here is the link:

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 5 7:47 AM
                Maybe this is a regional issue but I don't see how anyone can say that nothing can compete with or grow near Black Walnuts. I have seen wild polycultures with my own eyes. There was a row of 6 mature american black walnut trees at the farm I worked at this season. Underneath the walnuts were gooseberries, currants, both red and black raspberries, as well as wild grapes and a few shrubs which I couldn't identify. They were all doing very well despite the shade and the juglone. I have seen walnuts in the wild of all sizes that sometimes had the appearance of being choked out by a variety of other plants. Could it be that the ground cover underneath the walnuts could be the major suppressor? Its hard for many plants to get established in say, a tallgrass situation.

                I can only account for actually seeing a few of these examples with my own eyes but I would like to know if any of you have seen these plants fail under a walnut, knowing full well that it was the presence of the walnut tree, and not some other factor that stunted the other plants:

                American Black Currant - Ribes americanum
                European Currant - Ribes nigra, Ribes rubrum, Ribes alba
                Missouri Gooseberry - Ribes missouriensis
                American Elderberry - Sambucus canadensis
                Black Raspberry - Rubus ideaus
                Siberian Pea Shrub - Caragana arboescens
                Mulberries - Morus nigra, Morus alba
                Alpine Strawberries - Fragaria vesca
                Goldenseal - Hydrastis canadensis
                Wild Ginger - Asarum canadense
                Pawpaw - Asimina triloba
                Redbud - Cercis canadensis - legume
                Bamboo - Phyllostachys spp.
                "Rose of Sharon" Hibiscus - Hibiscus Syriacus
                Lamb's Quarters - Chenopodium alba
                Catnip - Nepata cataria
                Daylily - Hemerocallis sp
                Sunchokes - Helianthus tuberosa

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 6 3:16 AM
                  Ive pasted this from a UK Permaculture website: Sometimes, the toxins
                  of one plant totally destroy the health or growth of certain other
                  plants. A Black Walnut tree, planted within 60 feet of your garden,
                  can inhibit the growth and/or development of vegetables, azaleas,
                  rhododendrons, blackberries, lilacs, peonies, and apple trees. It
                  gives off a toxin called juglone which can do some serious damage to
                  other plants. This chemical reaction is known as allelopathy.
                  Sunflowers also have allelopathic properties.

                • Gloria Alexander
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 7 5:24 AM
                    Must say I have black walnut trees and there are dogwood trees and red bud (Judas Trees) growing fine near them, within the stated 60'. I also had one come up next to my veg garden couple years ago and need to remove it due to shading the garden, but my lima beans, herbs, a volunteer squash vine (which did tooooooooo well for me) collards did fine. These are within 50' or less from my black walnut trees.Know there is medicinal use for parasites with blackwalnut leaves etc. Just thought you might like to know that.

                    vic_doyle <vic_doyle@...> wrote: Ive pasted this from a UK Permaculture website: Sometimes, the toxins

                    Gloria Hartis-Alexander
                    Believing God
                    www.marykay.com/truthgha
                    MaryKay Shopping24/7

                  • omoak108
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 10 11:47 PM
                      What about fruit and nut small tree size? Or nitrogen fixing
                      shrubs?...augustifolia (not sure of spelling).