climate change & plants ?

  • Peggy
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2008
      The climate is changing (for whatever reason). Right now, I'm going
      broke buying different varieties of seed, trying to find out what will
      grow best in my area. Do I have to keep going with "trial & error", or
      is there some way to figure in advance which varities will do best as
      our weather changes? For years, we could count on 3 weeks of snow
      cover in the winter and 3 weeks of rain in the spring. No more! Now
      it's more like: March = warm - rain - cold - summer/hot&dry. Spring is
      not what it used to be. How are other people dealing with these
      changes?
    • RJW
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2008
        Peggy, for me trial and error is the best way - seed is still excellent value. You could read and research for hours and ask 20 people but the conclusion you reach could still be wrong. That said, I'm (a) looking at plants that traditionally have only grown and produced a harvest in latitudes further south, and (b) seeking out the older and generally tougher varieties that used to survive in more hostile environments (e.g very dry summers) - these were often forgotten during the age of abundant and cheap artificial fertilisers but are now being looked at again by the big research institutes. Good luck!

        The climate is changing (for whatever reason). Right now, I'm going

        broke buying different varieties of seed, trying to find out what will

        grow best in my area. Do I have to keep going with "trial & error", or

        is there some way to figure in advance which varities will do best as

        our weather changes? For years, we could count on 3 weeks of snow

        cover in the winter and 3 weeks of rain in the spring. No more! Now

        it's more like: March = warm - rain - cold - summer/hot&dry. Spring is

        not what it used to be. How are other people dealing with these

        changes?

        <!--

        #ygrp-mkp{
        #ygrp-mkp hr{