Harvesting tilia americana

  • leifweaver
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2008
      I am looking forward to havesting the pods as well as some of the
      flowers of my tilia americana, but I can not figure out how this might
      be done. These treee are about 60' tall with their first branches at
      about 40'-45' or more. The flowers are at the end of the branches
      (obviously) so even if I did have a ladder that tall, there is nothing
      that I could lean it against. Does anyone have any experience on this
      sort of thing? Thanks in advance.
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2008
        Seems like yu have to cut it down....

        Here the Linden trees (Tilia cordata) is growing much like you describe,
        but by steep hillsides there is possible to reach long slender
        branches, weeping down to earth.
        Generally Tilia x europaea have branches set and kept much lower,
        often reachable from ground. -
        These flowers are among my favourite harvest...
        Geir Flatabø

      • Infowolf1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2008
          use some sort of sling to get a few ropes over it, and jiggle the
          branches till stuff falls off?

          Mary Christine

          2008/2/3, leifweaver <_leifweav@..._ (mailto:leifweav@...) >:
          > I am looking forward to havesting the pods as well as some of the
          > flowers of my tilia americana, but I can not figure out how this might
          > be done. These treee are about 60' tall with their first branches at
          > about 40'-45' or more. The flowers are at the end of the branches
          > (obviously) so even if I did have a ladder that tall, there is nothing
          > that I could lean it against. Does anyone have any experience on this
          > sort of thing? Thanks in advance.

          48)