eat your weeds 2

  • Traveler in Thyme
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2008
      Invasive weeds are some of my favourite foods. Who can beat all the
      lambsquarters, parsley, or garlic you can eat, for nothing except beating
      around the bush. My Rezolution this year is to battle rampant growth, the
      only garden problem we have since the major landscaping is finished. Not
      that it's going to be easy......one little granny lady vs. 1/2 acre of
      veggie jungle. We have such a plethora of bugs here in Texas, to make the
      adventure more exciting! Every year hatches a different adversary,
      depending on climate and soil conditions. I've been gardening in the Hill
      Country since the 70's of the last century, and have yet to experience a
      "normal" year. Average, maybe, but never normal. LOL

      But it's such good exercise, crawling around picking at the weedlings,
      insuring that only your favourites survive. I just have to remember to
      change out of my frock into my jeans before taking my walks, it's just too
      tempting to get down in it and WEED.

      We had some ferocious winter weather this year, so much for global warming.
      Global Wild Fluctuation is more like it. We live on a ridge called "The
      Divide" like it's the only one in the universe, but it does stop the weather
      crossing from north or south and turn the winds in peculiar directions.
      Our garden is on the southeast slope, about 20 ft lower than the crest, so
      we have deep soil and Gulf breezes, while the high, dry folks across the
      street face northwest toward the Rockies. Whole different world, 300
      yards away..............they can get high speed internet and satellite TV,
      but not me! We just have the garden.

      Spring is about to spring, so Forever Autumn has become Endless Summer in
      the blink of an eye. Saturday is Groundhog Day, Candlemas, or Imbolc,
      halfway between winter solstice and spring equinox. Light a candle and
      plant a seed, hope springs eternal.

      ---Marcia Cash
      Traveler in Thyme
      http://www.travelerinthyme.com