Seeds

  • epicormicshoot
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 26, 2008
      Hi all,

      just wondering where i can source seeds for plants such as: ramps,
      eleagnus ssp, groundnuts, american paw-paw, good king henry, miners
      lettuce etc etc. - tasty and usefull perennials.

      im in melbourne, australia and these are all hard to come by.
      thanks

      raf
    • Michael Porter
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 27, 2008
        saw your post at seed savers also, --they probly can help more than I-- Ramps,
        G+N Ramp Farm,
        Box 48 ,
        Richwood, WV. 26261
        USA

        Good King Henry
        Fedco Seeds
        www.fedcoseeds.com

        you might also try Richters Herbs, www.richters.com

        Regards, Michael

        epicormicshoot <epicormicshoot@...> wrote:
        Hi all,

        just wondering where i can source seeds for plants such as: ramps,
        eleagnus ssp, groundnuts, american paw-paw, good king henry, miners
        lettuce etc etc. - tasty and usefull perennials.

        im in melbourne, australia and these are all hard to come by.
        thanks

        raf

      • Pat Meadows
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 27, 2008
          On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 02:15:05 -0000, you wrote:

          >Hi all,
          >
          >just wondering where i can source seeds for plants such as: ramps,
          >eleagnus ssp, groundnuts, american paw-paw, good king henry, miners
          >lettuce etc etc. - tasty and usefull perennials.
          >
          >im in melbourne, australia and these are all hard to come by.
          >thanks

          American paw-paw is a tree, incidentally. It's perennial, too, of course,
          but it is definitely a tree. :)

          I have been told - by someone who has very good reason to know - that
          Australia has very stringent restrictions on imported seeds, and that it is
          very difficult to get seeds into Australia.

          I think your best bet is to try to get them from an Australian source.

          See: http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/exoz/

          and http://www.seedsavers.net/

          Pat
          -- Northern Pennsylvania

          Good planets are hard to find; let's take care of
          the one we have.
        • Gloria Alexander
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 28, 2008
            This is so interesting.
            What are these plants good for?
            Ramp and good king henry and what is the value of miners lettuce?
            Paw paws I believe is a fruit?
            Sorry for my ignorance in this, but cannot resist asking.
            Gloria

            Michael Porter <michaels4gardens@...> wrote: saw your post at seed savers also, --they probly can help more than I-- Ramps,
            G+N Ramp Farm,
            Box 48 ,
            Richwood, WV. 26261
            USA

            Good King Henry
            Fedco Seeds
            www.fedcoseeds.com

            you might also try Richters Herbs, www.richters.com

            Regards, Michael

            epicormicshoot <epicormicshoot@...> wrote:
            Hi all,

            just wondering where i can source seeds for plants such as: ramps,
            eleagnus ssp, groundnuts, american paw-paw, good king henry, miners
            lettuce etc etc. - tasty and usefull perennials.

            im in melbourne, australia and these are all hard to come by.
            thanks

            raf

            Gloria Hartis-Alexander
            Believing God
            www.marykay.com/truthgha
            MaryKay Shopping24/7

          • Pat Meadows
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 28, 2008
              On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 06:44:59 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

              >This is so interesting.
              >What are these plants good for?
              >Ramp and good king henry and what is the value of miners lettuce?

              Ramps are a form of wild onion. Good King Henry is a perennial resembling
              spinach (it's in the same family). It is used in the same ways as spinach
              or chard. Miner's lettuce is a salad green.

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 29, 2008
                thanks

                Pat Meadows <pat@...> wrote: On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 06:44:59 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

                >This is so interesting.
                >What are these plants good for?
                >Ramp and good king henry and what is the value of miners lettuce?

                Ramps are a form of wild onion. Good King Henry is a perennial resembling
                spinach (it's in the same family). It is used in the same ways as spinach
                or chard. Miner's lettuce is a salad green.

                Pat
                -- Northern Pennsylvania

                Good planets are hard to find; let's take care of
                the one we have.

                Gloria Hartis-Alexander
                Believing God
                www.marykay.com/truthgha
                MaryKay Shopping24/7

              • Peggy
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 3, 2008
                  --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Pat Meadows <pat@...> wrote:

                  > American paw-paw is a tree, incidentally. It's perennial, too, of
                  course,
                  > but it is definitely a tree. :)
                  >

                  > I live in the USA, in the state of MO - zone 5b. Paw paw trees can be
                  found in alot of our wild wooded areas. This year, the conservation
                  dept has added paw paw's to their plant list. I've ordered 25 of the
                  small seedlings. They are a great understory tree. The fruits are
                  bigger than pears and taste like bananas. Old timer's ate then all the
                  time. Now days, many people have never even heard of them. Wildlife
                  treasure them also. Years ago, there was a song about them - "picking
                  up paw paw's, putting them in my pocket -". Must have had big pockets.
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 3, 2008
                    I live in Norway,
                    a bit difficult getting plants / seedlings,
                    preferably seeds of the northernmost localities would be nice to get hold of ..

                    Geir Flatabø

                    2008/2/3, Peggy <peg6012@...>:
                    > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Pat Meadows <pat@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > American paw-paw is a tree, incidentally. It's perennial, too, of
                    > course,
                    > > but it is definitely a tree. :)
                    > >

                    > > I live in the USA, in the state of MO - zone 5b. Paw paw trees can be
                    > found in alot of our wild wooded areas. This year, the conservation
                    > dept has added paw paw's to their plant list. I've ordered 25 of the
                    > small seedlings. They are a great understory tree. The fruits are
                    > bigger than pears and taste like bananas. Old timer's ate then all the
                    > time. Now days, many people have never even heard of them. Wildlife
                    > treasure them also. Years ago, there was a song about them - "picking
                    > up paw paw's, putting them in my pocket -". Must have had big pockets.
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Gloria Alexander
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 5, 2008
                      Peggy, how would the Paw Paw tree do in NC close to SC line?
                      they sound good, and do remember this song, my mother used to sing to us.
                      Paw, paw patch!
                      gloria

                      Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote: I live in Norway,

                      2008/2/3, Peggy <peg6012@...>:
                      > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Pat Meadows <pat@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > American paw-paw is a tree, incidentally. It's perennial, too, of
                      > course,
                      > > but it is definitely a tree. :)
                      > >

                      > > I live in the USA, in the state of MO - zone 5b. Paw paw trees can be
                      > found in alot of our wild wooded areas. This year, the conservation
                      > dept has added paw paw's to their plant list. I've ordered 25 of the
                      > small seedlings. They are a great understory tree. The fruits are
                      > bigger than pears and taste like bananas. Old timer's ate then all the
                      > time. Now days, many people have never even heard of them. Wildlife
                      > treasure them also. Years ago, there was a song about them - "picking
                      > up paw paw's, putting them in my pocket -". Must have had big pockets.
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Gloria Hartis-Alexander
                      Believing God
                      www.marykay.com/truthgha
                      MaryKay Shopping24/7

                    • Mathew Waehner
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 6, 2008
                        Pawpaws would do quite well in NC- I am going to plant several here in
                        Raleigh. I'm researching the best sources and varieties- feel free to
                        contact me, I will have mine picked out in a week or two.

                        The pawpaw needs shade for the first couple years of life, they were greatly
                        reduced when the forests were clear cut. They are said to be quite common
                        in the swamps of eastern NC.

                        On 2/5/08, Gloria Alexander <truthgha@...> wrote:

                        > Peggy, how would the Paw Paw tree do in NC close to SC line?
                        > they sound good, and do remember this song, my mother used to sing to us.
                        > Paw, paw patch!
                        > gloria
                        >
                        > Geir Flatabø <geirf@... <geirf%40ulvik.org>> wrote: I live in
                        > Norway,
                        > a bit difficult getting plants / seedlings,
                        > preferably seeds of the northernmost localities would be nice to get hold
                        > of ..
                        >
                        > Geir Flatabø
                        >
                        > 2008/2/3, Peggy <peg6012@... <peg6012%40yahoo.com>>:
                        > > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com <pfaf%40yahoogroups.com>, Pat Meadows
                        > <pat@...> wrote:
                        > > >

                        > > > American paw-paw is a tree, incidentally. It's perennial, too, of
                        > > course,
                        > > > but it is definitely a tree. :)
                        > > >

                        > > > I live in the USA, in the state of MO - zone 5b. Paw paw trees can be
                        > > found in alot of our wild wooded areas. This year, the conservation
                        > > dept has added paw paw's to their plant list. I've ordered 25 of the
                        > > small seedlings. They are a great understory tree. The fruits are
                        > > bigger than pears and taste like bananas. Old timer's ate then all the
                        > > time. Now days, many people have never even heard of them. Wildlife
                        > > treasure them also. Years ago, there was a song about them - "picking
                        > > up paw paw's, putting them in my pocket -". Must have had big pockets.
                        > >

                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                        > >

                        > Gloria Hartis-Alexander
                        > Believing God
                        > www.marykay.com/truthgha
                        > MaryKay Shopping24/7

                        Matt

                        The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists
                        who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood." - Dr. Martin Luther
                        King Jr.

                      • Peggy
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 6, 2008
                          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Gloria Alexander <truthgha@...> wrote:

                          > Peggy, how would the Paw Paw tree do in NC close to SC line?
                          > they sound good, and do remember this song, my mother used to sing to
                          us.
                          > Paw, paw patch!
                          > gloria
                          >

                          > Gloria, I am the last person to ask about trees - just about flunked
                          out of the courses in hort. Ha,ha only it's not funny, it's really
                          sad.
                          There is a Paw Paw Foundation - they should be able to tell you.>
                          http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/ppf/default.htm
                          Hope this will help, Peg

                          > ---------------------------------

                        • Gloria Alexander
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 7, 2008
                            You are so funny Peggy, thanks for your reply and lead. I will check out this site.
                            See Kentucky, so I bet we can grow them, since KY and NC are much alike in climate. Thanks!
                            Blessings,
                            Gloria

                            Peggy <peg6012@...> wrote: --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Gloria Alexander <truthgha@...> wrote:

                            > Peggy, how would the Paw Paw tree do in NC close to SC line?
                            > they sound good, and do remember this song, my mother used to sing to
                            us.
                            > Paw, paw patch!
                            > gloria
                            >

                            > Gloria, I am the last person to ask about trees - just about flunked
                            out of the courses in hort. Ha,ha only it's not funny, it's really
                            sad.
                            There is a Paw Paw Foundation - they should be able to tell you.>
                            http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/ppf/default.htm
                            Hope this will help, Peg

                            > ---------------------------------

                            Gloria Hartis-Alexander
                            Believing God
                            www.marykay.com/truthgha
                            MaryKay Shopping24/7

                          • pazogie
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 30, 2008
                              Hello Jim,

                              What a great guy you are! I could use a few seeds of
                              the pinea and the monkey puzzle.

                              I am halfway around the world, but that should not
                              discaourage such a nice and determined man like you.

                              My address:

                              Paz B. Reyes
                              14-I Villa Teresita Rd
                              Osmena Blvd
                              Cebu City Philippines 6000

                              If it is possible for you to send the seeds thru my
                              brod Leo Reyes, an MD in Woodstock Illinois, I would
                              appreciate it very much. Leo is leaving in three weeks
                              time to visit our recuperating mom who is with me here
                              in Cebu.

                              I have cc'd him so he can give you his current
                              address, and a sister in Ca who may have the time to
                              contact you if you can give me your number.

                              Thanks Jim, I truly like people who try to help in
                              whatever ways they can in our fight to green the world
                              to give us more clean breathing air.

                              Sincerely,

                              Paz

                              Be a better friend, newshound, and
                            • wellsforzoe
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 6, 2008
                                I am working in Northern Malawi and I'm looking for suitable seeds.
                                At present I need a supplier for Velvet bean and Yam bean seeds to grow
                                and research.
                                Can anyone help?
                                John
                              • Diane Lee Long
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 6, 2008
                                  Hello John,

                                  I believe that Michael who is a member of this web group has a web site that he sells the yams:

                                  http://www.michaels4gardens.com/

                                  I have received plants from him before and they are top quality plants. I was so pleased that I have just placed another order from him today.

                                  Diane

                                  wellsforzoe <wellsforzoe@...> wrote:
                                  I am working in Northern Malawi and I'm looking for suitable seeds.
                                  At present I need a supplier for Velvet bean and Yam bean seeds to grow
                                  and research.
                                  Can anyone help?
                                  John

                                • malmulh
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 6, 2008
                                    --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "epicormicshoot" <epicormicshoot@...>
                                    wrote:
                                    >hi raf
                                    try your local garden supply they are also known as abo seed

                                    malachy

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 6, 2008
                                      On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 16:13:57 -0000, you wrote:

                                      >I am working in Northern Malawi and I'm looking for suitable seeds.
                                      >At present I need a supplier for Velvet bean and Yam bean seeds to grow
                                      >and research.
                                      >Can anyone help?

                                      You might want to contact ECHO. This is *exactly* what they do - give seeds
                                      to less-wealthy nations, also they supply technical support on how to grow
                                      them, etc.

                                      www.echonet.org

                                      Pat
                                      --
                                      Northern Pennsylvania

                                      CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
                                      http://www.thehungersite.com/
                                    • Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 14, 2008
                                        Dear all,

                                        I am having the seeds of the following fruits

                                        Indian curry leaf - Murraya koeningii

                                        http://www.fruitipedia.com/gandhelu-Murraya%20koeningii.htm

                                        Jamun - Syzigium cumunii

                                        http://www.fruitipedia.com/jamun.htm

                                        You can see the details of these fruits at above Fruitipedia links.

                                        If anyone is interested, he may get back to me.

                                        Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
                                        www.fruitipedia.com