canopy layer / Allmende forest garden project

  • Allmende Verden
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 21, 2008
      Thanks for your replies, Gloria & Niels! As Niels suggested I wrote an
      email to Martin Crawford.
      The goals of the Allmende project is to research if a small group of
      people can sustain themselves in regard of food supply by using nearly
      only ressources found in a given area. So what it means for our work
      on site is that we for example don't use any engine driven devices,
      but instead simple tools like scythes and hoes.

      Because forest gardening is said to be labor-extensive once the forest
      garden is established it is our primary interest and most of the 7 ha
      (about 17 acre) plot we are using is devoted to it. But we are also
      cultivating sun-loving annuals in a small area with no-digging mulched
      beds.

      We are documenting our work in detail and try to make it a model for
      other groups of people who want to satisfy their food needs through
      gardening under similar site conditions. Our site conditions include
      USDA hardiness zone 7b, 650 mm annual rainfall, 1376 hours of sunshine
      annually, 8,5 °C average temperature, dry and sandy soil and strong
      winds from the west.

      Our work is political driven. We want to explore how food supply can
      be archieved without capitalism. The utopia we (or to speak for
      myself: I) dream of is a decentralized anarchistic society.

      Regards,
      Boris