Re: [pfaf] Re: Forever autumn?

  • Travis Philp
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 18, 2008
      Last year here in southern ontario canada we had a very extended fall. A friend of mine went canoing on her Christmas break which is unheard of around these parts. Except for a few flurries in November I don't think we got snow until after Christmas.

      This year was a little more normalized in the fall but about two weeks ago we were getting temperatures well above freezing for a number of days, which is definetly not normal for this area. Whether or not humans are the cause, things are definetly warming up lately...

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 21, 2008
        The snowdrops are out in London, another thing is that my honeysuckle is still flowering now in the last weeks of January!

        Travis Philp <trphilp@...> wrote: Last year here in southern ontario canada we had a very extended fall. A friend of mine went canoing on her Christmas break which is unheard of around these parts. Except for a few flurries in November I don't think we got snow until after Christmas.

        This year was a little more normalized in the fall but about two weeks ago we were getting temperatures well above freezing for a number of days, which is definetly not normal for this area. Whether or not humans are the cause, things are definetly warming up lately...

        Hi I think this is a global phenomenon - Im in Norfolk, East of England (Anglia) and last
        month a week before Christmas I had a Himalayan Poppy in full bloom! It normally only
        blooms in June. Now, mid-January we have not seen one Snowdrop yet - they are about
        three weeks overdue - same with crocus and all the spring flowers!

        Nessie x

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, siderea <siderea@...> wrote:

        > I have noticed the same thing here in coastal Northern California. Our
        > usual over lap of fall and spring for a mild winter is shortening. Some
        > of the sweetgums still held onto their fall dress till a storm came
        > through last week. but the tulip magnolias, and some early plums and
        > apples are blooming several weeks early. We just had the first thunder
        > storm I can ever remember in January, having lived here all my life.
        > Strange doings on the weather front....
        > Clear skies and apple pies!
        > lc Carol
        >
        > vic_doyle wrote:
        > > Late late flowering and dropping of leaves.
        > > I live in the Rhondda South Wales UK and approx 900' above sea level,
        > > our growing season is usually about a month behind neighbouring areas
        > > which are more like 500' above sea levels. I've noticed this year that
        > > the leaves at the tops on my willow trees have still not yet dropped
        > > off, and as I was taught 10 years ago when learning about taking willow
        > > cuttings, that you can usually transplant after the second week of
        > > November as the leaves will have all dropped off by then, this 2 month
        > > extension of autumn is significant. Also I have still got chamomile
        > > flowering, a little tatty maybe, but again this is significant,
        > > especially as we are at altitude. No question really, I'm just happier
        > > sharing this with the group!
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Vic Doyle
        Arts Development Officer