Plants Requiring Plant Passports (UK export restictions)

  • webmaster@pfaf.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2001
      Through a bit of browsing on Melane's sugestion I came
      across a list of plants which require a Plant Passport
      for export out of UK. I was quite suprised at how many
      of the favorite pfaf plants were included there.

      This information has been taken from DEFRA Guide to Plant Passporting.
      Which places restrictions on plants which can be exported from the
      UK mainly because they are carriers for pests and diseases.

      Beta vulgaris (Beet), Chaenomeles (Ornamental quince, Japonica),
      Citrus (Orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit, etc.), Cotoneaster
      (Cotoneaster),
      Crataegus (Hawthorn), Cydonia (Quince), Eriobotrya (Includes loquat),
      Fortunella and hybrids (Kumquat), Humulus lupulus (Hop (including
      ornamentals)), Malus (Apple (including ornamentals)), Mespilus
      (Medlar), Poncirus and hybrids (Ornamental citrus), Prunus (other than
      Prunus laurocerasus and Prunus lusitanica) (Includes almond, apricot,
      cherry, damson, greengage, nectarine, peach, plum, sloe and
      ornamental/flowering varieties), Pyracantha (Firethorn), Pyrus (Pear
      (including ornamentals)), Solanum (stolon or tuber forming types)
      (Potato), Sorbus (other than Sorbus intermedia) (Includes rowan and
      whitebeam), Stranvaesia (Stranvaesia), Vitis (Grape, includes grape
      vine
      and ornamental grape).

      Many other plants require pasporting for commercial growers, these
      include Abies, Allium ascalonicum, Allium cepa, Allium porrum, Allium
      schoenoprasum, Apium graveolens, Plants of the family Araceae,
      Argyranthemum, Aster, Brassica, Castanea, Capsicum annuum, Cucumis,
      Dendranthema, Dianthus and hybrids, Euphorbia, Exacum, Fragaria,
      Gerbera, Gypsophila, Helianthus annuus Impatiens, (all varieties of
      New
      Guinea hybrids) Lactuca, Larix, Leucanthemum, Lupinus, Lycopersicon
      lycopersicum, Plants of the family Marantaceae, Medicago sativa,
      Plants
      of the family Musaceae, Nicotiana, Pelargonium, Persea, Phaseolus,
      Picea, Pinus, Platanus, Populus, Prunus laurocerasus and Prunus
      lusitanica,
      Pseudotsuga, Quercus, Rubus, Plants of the family Solanaceae (other
      than plants of stolon or tuber forming species of Solanum and their
      hybrids), Solanum melongena, Spinacia, Plants of the family
      Strelitziaceae, Tanacetum, Tsuga, Verbena.

      Oh no, we can't let anyone have our hawthorns!

      Rich