Re: [pfaf] A question from Argentina (fwd)

  • hill8628
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 25 11:53 PM
      from Bradford Angier's FIELD GUIDE TO EDIBLE WILD PLANTS:

      Hawthorn (Crataegus)

      ....Although readily distinguished as a genus, the numerous species are
      difficult in the extreme to differentiate among, although this is not too
      important to the individual seeking wild food. The fruit of all is edible,
      although it does differ greatly in quality when eaten raw.

      ...Taste differs greatly, however, and the only way to determine the
      palatableness of the particular fruit you've come across is by sampling it.

      Jackie from NY
      Hill8628@...
      Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 19:03:49 -0300
      From: Andrea Cordone <drakaika@...>
      To: Richard Morris <webmaster@...>
      Subject: A question from Argentina

      Dear Richard,

      I write you now because I need this information: Are all the species of
      Crataegus edible? I´m look in books, internet and ask to some people, but I
      not find the answer. Can you help me, please?

      I identify these species of Crataegus in my area: C.crus-galli and C.
      lavallei, but there are more species in my country.

      Thank you, Richard (and sorry for my english)

      Andrea Cordone

      NetZero Platinum
      Only $9.95 per month!
      Sign up in September to win one of 30 Hawaiian Vacations for 2!
    • Linda Roberts
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 26 3:47 PM
        Andrea,
        I can only speak of the Hawthorns here in North America and of the 26 or so
        that are according to Elias and Dykeman distinguishable, they all have
        edible fruit and list no poisonous look alikes.
        Linda in Georgia, USA