Hibiscus Plants

  • sunny19971
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2008
      Hi

      I have 2 Hibiscus Bushes growing outside. They are over 20 years old. I live in South
      Florida. I have never had a problem before but all of a sudden in 1 day all the leaves fell off
      both plants that are on opposite sides of my yard. Has anyone heard of anything like this?
    • siderea
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 15, 2008
        Hi Sunny
        Did you have an overnight freeze? This has to me before here in Ca, with
        frost tender plants. Cover them with paper grocery bags, if they are
        small enough, or a breathable clothe tarp, and a bank of heavy mulch to
        protect the new buds till all danger of frost is over. Hibiscus are
        sturdy plants, and will very likely recover just fine. Like rosemary and
        fuschias, an occasional frost won't do much harm.
        hope that helps
        left coast carol