Green potatoes from Bolivia

  • stephen barstow
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 24, 2007
      Thanks for your suggestions, Dan. This put me on the right track as you can
      read here (I posted the same question on the new Seed Savers Exchange Forum
      in the US)

      HYPERLINK
      "http://seedsavers.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~47.asp"http://seedsavers.forum
      co.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~47.asp

      It turns out that it wasn�t a potato at all, but Ullucu (Ullucus tuberosus),
      a veggie I�ve been looking for for some time � and I had it all along!

      Stephen

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      17:27

    • Dan Culbertson
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 24, 2007
        Hi Stephen,

        That is interesting. Ullucu tuberosus is one of the "Lost Crops of the
        Incas" I've been looking for. Only ones of those I've found is Oca which
        doesn't thrive here in north Florida and Canna edulis which isn't all that
        tasty (probably not one of the better varieties). Let us know how your
        Ullucus tastes! Of course since it is one of those Deliciosus unobtainicus
        species telling us how it tastes might me considered mental cruelty. :-)

        You mention in the seed savers forum that you are eating madeira vine root.
        I haven't found a way to cook it that doesn't result in a sort of
        mucilaginous tater (i.e. "slimy"). Any hints on that?

        Dan