Green potatoes from Bolivia

  • stephen barstow
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 22, 2007
      Can anyone help with this mystery plant. A couple of years ago, a gardening
      friend presented me with some small green potato-like tubers. He told me he
      had bought the tubers on a market in Bolivia and that they were considered a
      delicacy.

      Here is a picture of the leaves
      http://forum.hageselskapet.no/files/~thumbs/thumb_12222007044300_hpim5053.jp

      I haven't seen any flowers, but they are clearly a close relative of the
      potato (a wild species, perhaps).

      I harvested the tubers today:
      http://forum.hageselskapet.no/files/~images/12222007042651_img_2203.jpg

      Last year, the potatoes were tiny when I harvested them in October with my
      other potatoes. Decided they must be a short day plant and therefore grew
      them in a large pot and brought the pot inside before the first frosts in
      October. The result was much bigger but still smallish tubers.They are all a
      uniform lime green colour when harvested even though they haven't been
      exposed to light!

      I've tried to find out what species this is on the net, but without success.
      Can anyone help? Am tempted to try them, but the green colour makes me a bit
      wary....

    • Dan Culbertson
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 22, 2007
        Wow, that looks pretty neat. Real "Irish" green potatoes! :-) Does it
        produce seed each year and then come true from seed? Might be a wild
        Solanum species. How does it taste? Hope you can find out more about
        it!

        If you can find a library that has it you might check out the book "The
        Potatos of South America, Bolivia" Description of the book is at
        http://www.cambridge.org/us/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=0521380243 . You
        can do a search in the book and read some pages of the book at that web site
        but, unless you know good search terms it isn't all that helpfull. At $150
        it would be way too pricey to buy just to figure out one potato variety but
        it may be available in a good college library or available through an
        inter-library loan. A place to start anyhow. Libraries and real books are
        pretty neat (even neter than the internet sometimes). I'd also try doing
        some Google searches on the Solanum species listed at
        http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorting/Solanum.html . The links at
        that site seem to be mostly dead but it looks like a good catalogue of
        species names (in case it is not a variety of Solanum tuberosum but some
        other "wild" potato).

        Dan

        > Can anyone help with this mystery plant. A couple of years ago, a
        > gardening
        > friend presented me with some small green potato-like tubers. He told me
        > he
        > had bought the tubers on a market in Bolivia and that they were considered
        > delicacy.
        >
        > Here is a picture of the leaves
        > http://forum.hageselskapet.no/files/~thumbs/thumb_12222007044300_hpim5053.jp
        >
        > I haven't seen any flowers, but they are clearly a close relative of the
        > potato (a wild species, perhaps).
        >
        > I harvested the tubers today:
        > http://forum.hageselskapet.no/files/~images/12222007042651_img_2203.jpg
        >
        > Last year, the potatoes were tiny when I harvested them in October with my
        > other potatoes. Decided they must be a short day plant and therefore grew
        > them in a large pot and brought the pot inside before the first frosts in
        > October. The result was much bigger but still smallish tubers.They are all
        > uniform lime green colour when harvested even though they haven't been
        > exposed to light!
        >
        > I've tried to find out what species this is on the net, but without
        > success.
        > Can anyone help? Am tempted to try them, but the green colour makes me a
        > bit
        > wary....
      • stephen barstow
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 24, 2007
          Thanks for your suggestions, Dan. This put me on the right track as you can
          read here (I posted the same question on the new Seed Savers Exchange Forum
          in the US)

          HYPERLINK
          "http://seedsavers.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~47.asp"http://seedsavers.forum
          co.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~47.asp

          It turns out that it wasn�t a potato at all, but Ullucu (Ullucus tuberosus),
          a veggie I�ve been looking for for some time � and I had it all along!

          Stephen

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          17:27

        • Dan Culbertson
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 24, 2007
            Hi Stephen,

            That is interesting. Ullucu tuberosus is one of the "Lost Crops of the
            Incas" I've been looking for. Only ones of those I've found is Oca which
            doesn't thrive here in north Florida and Canna edulis which isn't all that
            tasty (probably not one of the better varieties). Let us know how your
            Ullucus tastes! Of course since it is one of those Deliciosus unobtainicus
            species telling us how it tastes might me considered mental cruelty. :-)

            You mention in the seed savers forum that you are eating madeira vine root.
            I haven't found a way to cook it that doesn't result in a sort of
            mucilaginous tater (i.e. "slimy"). Any hints on that?

            Dan