Re: [pfaf] Re: my HUUUUGE problem with S L U G S. Help!!!

  • Allmende Verden
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 4, 2007
      Hi!
      We do not have good experiences in using beer traps. The beer doesn't
      only attrack the slugs you've got in your garden, it also attracks
      every slug in the neighbourhood. So you are always going on catching
      them, while the next ones are arriving.
      The other thing I did not like was that not only slugs got drowned in
      the beer, but also flys, worms, beetles, and other small animals.
      And that happened although the hole of the traps was above soil level.

      Greets from northern Germany,
      Alex

      Zitat von Light2uToo@...:

      > "Travis Philp" _trphilp@... _
      > (mailto:trphilp@...?Subject=
      > Re:%20my%20HUUUUGE%20problem%20with%20S%20L%20U%20G%20S.%20Help!!!)
      > wrote:
      >
      > << Cut a few one-inch square or triangular doors into the container sides
      > and use the lid to deflect rain and prevent dilution of the beer.
      > Position the
      > holes just below the container rim and dig the container into the soil,
      > leaving the cut holes at or just slightly above soil level. >>
      >
      > That was so well-explained. Thank you! We have a lot of trouble with slugs
      > around here, which is southwestern Oklahoma. The odd thing is that
      > it can get
      > so, so hot and dry, especially in the summers, and yet we'll have problems
      > with slugs. I only use plants that are fairly drought resistant, because we
      > have to ration water sometimes. And still, the slugs will be a problem. They
      > must be little creatures.
      >
      > I think the idea of killing them with beer is a really good one, even mock
      > beer. Somehow it seems more humane than most other ways I've heard of.
      > Probably the most humane way would be to quickly smash them with a shoe or
      > something, but I can't deal with those sluggy guts. Bleecchhh.
      >
      > Lena
      >

      > _Click to Donate - Free donations to your favorite causes! _
      > (http://www.care2.com/click2donate/)

      Artilleriestr. 6
      D-27283 Verden
      Tel (+49) 4231- 90 50 30
      Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
      http://davyd.de/allmende
    • Allmende Verden
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 4, 2007
        I´d support what Alex says. Before we startet baiting/collecting we
        used beertraps for years in a way that they where always at the outer
        boarders of the bed (hoping to catch the slugs coming from outside),
        though always slugs were caught in control-traps in the center. And in
        the end maybe we breeded beer-resistant slugs: this year when the
        population aroused enormous, the number of slugs in the traps didn´t.
        greets from Klaus

        Artilleriestr. 6
        D-27283 Verden
        Tel (+49) 4231- 90 50 30
        Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
        http://davyd.de/allmende
      • veronica giselle lescano
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 4, 2007
          Hi,
          If releasing the slug´s natural predator do not work, perhaps you can try with trap crops ( these are plants which are known to be attractive to the pest and which are used to lure the pest away from the actual crop), or intercropping (two crops are grown together, either intimately within the same row or in adjacent rows, when onions and carrots are grown together , the strong smell of the onions masks that of the carrots which are thus given protection from the carrot rrot fly, for example, some plants are known to be repellent to some invertebrates pests. Here in South America, as the soil is very humid, we usually use some of these techniques to protect crops from being damage by invertebrates,
          Greetings
          Veronica

          Infowolf1@... escribió:

          In a message dated 12/3/2007 6:10:56 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
          ingrid_glass@... writes:

          sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a balanced
          ecosystem.

          I would love to have a cute little hedgehog, but they are illegal
          in California and my cats might get hurt pouncing on it. Also,
          I might run over it in the driveway. Frogs would get eaten. Birds
          are my best bet.

          Do you know if rats eat slugs and snails? there is enough of a rat
          population here in the ivy to support owls who barf the results.

          Mary Christine

        • vic_doyle
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 11, 2008
            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Infowolf1@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 12/3/2007 6:10:56 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
            > ingrid_glass@... writes:
            >
            > sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a
            balanced
            > ecosystem.
            >

            > I would love to have a cute little hedgehog, but they are
            illegal
            > in California and my cats might get hurt pouncing on it.
            Also,
            > I might run over it in the driveway. Frogs would get
            eaten. Birds
            > are my best bet.
            >
            > Do you know if rats eat slugs and snails? there is enough
            of a rat
            > population here in the ivy to support owls who barf the
            results.

            > Mary Christine

            Reply-

            Hi Im new here, but I can recommend that you manage a small flock of
            Khaki Campbell ducks as they eat all slugs in the area and they lay
            lots of eggs, so go get ducking!!!