Re: [pfaf] Re:my HUUUUGE problem with S L U G S. Help!!!

  • Travis Philp
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
      They themselves are not a problem but I had a problem with them. They produce a problem for me when they wipe out whole beds of plants.

      Too much moisture is impossible to avoid in the Frasier Valley except for freakishly dry seasons which are rare. We used only well rotted compost so that wasn't a factor...As for getting "some sun down there", I'm not sure what else I can do. The sun doesn't take my requests, and believe me I've asked for it. When slugs are in small numbers I let them do their thing but in a garden that is only two years old their population is too great. We knocked their population back and then once they stopped decimating our crops we left them alone. I think that taking 2 acres and leaving with them with about 78 isn't asking too much.

      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
        You're welcome. I don't know if I mentioned the spacing of the traps. I cant say what is optimal but I put them every 15 feet or so.

        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
          In a message dated 12/3/2007 6:10:56 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
          ingrid_glass@... writes:

          sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a balanced
          ecosystem.

          I would love to have a cute little hedgehog, but they are illegal
          in California and my cats might get hurt pouncing on it. Also,
          I might run over it in the driveway. Frogs would get eaten. Birds
          are my best bet.

          Do you know if rats eat slugs and snails? there is enough of a rat
          population here in the ivy to support owls who barf the results.

          Mary Christine

        • Allmende Verden
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 4, 2007
            Hi!
            We do not have good experiences in using beer traps. The beer doesn't
            only attrack the slugs you've got in your garden, it also attracks
            every slug in the neighbourhood. So you are always going on catching
            them, while the next ones are arriving.
            The other thing I did not like was that not only slugs got drowned in
            the beer, but also flys, worms, beetles, and other small animals.
            And that happened although the hole of the traps was above soil level.

            Greets from northern Germany,
            Alex

            Zitat von Light2uToo@...:

            > "Travis Philp" _trphilp@... _
            > (mailto:trphilp@...?Subject=
            > Re:%20my%20HUUUUGE%20problem%20with%20S%20L%20U%20G%20S.%20Help!!!)
            > wrote:
            >
            > << Cut a few one-inch square or triangular doors into the container sides
            > and use the lid to deflect rain and prevent dilution of the beer.
            > Position the
            > holes just below the container rim and dig the container into the soil,
            > leaving the cut holes at or just slightly above soil level. >>
            >
            > That was so well-explained. Thank you! We have a lot of trouble with slugs
            > around here, which is southwestern Oklahoma. The odd thing is that
            > it can get
            > so, so hot and dry, especially in the summers, and yet we'll have problems
            > with slugs. I only use plants that are fairly drought resistant, because we
            > have to ration water sometimes. And still, the slugs will be a problem. They
            > must be little creatures.
            >
            > I think the idea of killing them with beer is a really good one, even mock
            > beer. Somehow it seems more humane than most other ways I've heard of.
            > Probably the most humane way would be to quickly smash them with a shoe or
            > something, but I can't deal with those sluggy guts. Bleecchhh.
            >
            > Lena
            >

            > _Click to Donate - Free donations to your favorite causes! _
            > (http://www.care2.com/click2donate/)

            Artilleriestr. 6
            D-27283 Verden
            Tel (+49) 4231- 90 50 30
            Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
            http://davyd.de/allmende
          • Allmende Verden
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 4, 2007
              I´d support what Alex says. Before we startet baiting/collecting we
              used beertraps for years in a way that they where always at the outer
              boarders of the bed (hoping to catch the slugs coming from outside),
              though always slugs were caught in control-traps in the center. And in
              the end maybe we breeded beer-resistant slugs: this year when the
              population aroused enormous, the number of slugs in the traps didn´t.
              greets from Klaus

              Artilleriestr. 6
              D-27283 Verden
              Tel (+49) 4231- 90 50 30
              Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
              http://davyd.de/allmende
            • veronica giselle lescano
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 4, 2007
                Hi,
                If releasing the slug´s natural predator do not work, perhaps you can try with trap crops ( these are plants which are known to be attractive to the pest and which are used to lure the pest away from the actual crop), or intercropping (two crops are grown together, either intimately within the same row or in adjacent rows, when onions and carrots are grown together , the strong smell of the onions masks that of the carrots which are thus given protection from the carrot rrot fly, for example, some plants are known to be repellent to some invertebrates pests. Here in South America, as the soil is very humid, we usually use some of these techniques to protect crops from being damage by invertebrates,
                Greetings
                Veronica

                ingrid_glass@... writes:

                sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a balanced
                ecosystem.

                I would love to have a cute little hedgehog, but they are illegal
                in California and my cats might get hurt pouncing on it. Also,
                I might run over it in the driveway. Frogs would get eaten. Birds
                are my best bet.

                Do you know if rats eat slugs and snails? there is enough of a rat
                population here in the ivy to support owls who barf the results.

                Mary Christine

              • vic_doyle
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 11, 2008
                  --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Infowolf1@... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 12/3/2007 6:10:56 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                  > ingrid_glass@... writes:
                  >
                  > sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a
                  balanced
                  > ecosystem.
                  >

                  > I would love to have a cute little hedgehog, but they are
                  illegal
                  > in California and my cats might get hurt pouncing on it.
                  Also,
                  > I might run over it in the driveway. Frogs would get
                  eaten. Birds
                  > are my best bet.
                  >
                  > Do you know if rats eat slugs and snails? there is enough
                  of a rat
                  > population here in the ivy to support owls who barf the
                  results.

                  > Mary Christine

                  Reply-

                  Hi Im new here, but I can recommend that you manage a small flock of
                  Khaki Campbell ducks as they eat all slugs in the area and they lay
                  lots of eggs, so go get ducking!!!