RE: [pfaf] my HUUUUGE problem with S L U G S. Help!!!

  • Allmende Verden
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
      Hi everybody,
      here in Northgermany we get growing problems with slugs as the winters
      are getting warmer and fewer of the eggs are destroyed by frosts. So
      another method is to keep the soil without mulch over winter (what is
      bad for both, slugs and soil).

      In our project we`re trying to use only materials and technics that,
      at least in theory, can be made availible by smal groups of people
      under any economical circumstances.
      We`re using slug-fences. The overal principle of these can be seen here
      http://www.slugfence.com/slug_info/fence_info/hauptteil_fence_info.html

      It is an inteligence-barrier. To come over it the slug would have to
      climb in the opposite direction it wants to go.
      We built a fence from regional oak-wood which can be seen on the
      bottom of http://davyd.de/allmende/fotos3.html

      A good lute might be birch bark tar.

      still you`ll have the slugs and their eggs inside the fenced area and
      it`ll be ongoing reinfected by mulch or something. For these problems
      we found collecting of the slugs successful.
      for that we`re baiting them with selected rests from the kitchen:
      brassica, fruit, avocado, onion... (experiment what yours like best!).
      The best time for collecting is in the dark, when dew has fallen.
      Worse is in rain and daylight. In the sunlight you won`t find any.
      Best of all they like the cut and dead bodies of other slugs, so a
      second patrol over the area will be successful.
      greetings from Klaus

      Artilleriestr. 6
      D-27283 Verden
      Tel (+49) 4231- 90 50 30
      Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
      http://davyd.de/allmende
    • Travis Philp
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
        They themselves are not a problem but I had a problem with them. They produce a problem for me when they wipe out whole beds of plants.

        Too much moisture is impossible to avoid in the Frasier Valley except for freakishly dry seasons which are rare. We used only well rotted compost so that wasn't a factor...As for getting "some sun down there", I'm not sure what else I can do. The sun doesn't take my requests, and believe me I've asked for it. When slugs are in small numbers I let them do their thing but in a garden that is only two years old their population is too great. We knocked their population back and then once they stopped decimating our crops we left them alone. I think that taking 2 acres and leaving with them with about 78 isn't asking too much.

        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
          You're welcome. I don't know if I mentioned the spacing of the traps. I cant say what is optimal but I put them every 15 feet or so.

          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
            In a message dated 12/3/2007 6:10:56 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
            ingrid_glass@... writes:

            sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a balanced
            ecosystem.

            I would love to have a cute little hedgehog, but they are illegal
            in California and my cats might get hurt pouncing on it. Also,
            I might run over it in the driveway. Frogs would get eaten. Birds
            are my best bet.

            Do you know if rats eat slugs and snails? there is enough of a rat
            population here in the ivy to support owls who barf the results.

            Mary Christine

          • Allmende Verden
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 4, 2007
              Hi!
              We do not have good experiences in using beer traps. The beer doesn't
              only attrack the slugs you've got in your garden, it also attracks
              every slug in the neighbourhood. So you are always going on catching
              them, while the next ones are arriving.
              The other thing I did not like was that not only slugs got drowned in
              the beer, but also flys, worms, beetles, and other small animals.
              And that happened although the hole of the traps was above soil level.

              Greets from northern Germany,
              Alex

              Zitat von Light2uToo@...:

              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 4, 2007
                I´d support what Alex says. Before we startet baiting/collecting we
                used beertraps for years in a way that they where always at the outer
                boarders of the bed (hoping to catch the slugs coming from outside),
                though always slugs were caught in control-traps in the center. And in
                the end maybe we breeded beer-resistant slugs: this year when the
                population aroused enormous, the number of slugs in the traps didn´t.
                greets from Klaus

                Artilleriestr. 6
                D-27283 Verden
                Tel (+49) 4231- 90 50 30
                Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
                http://davyd.de/allmende
              • veronica giselle lescano
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 4, 2007
                  Hi,
                  If releasing the slug´s natural predator do not work, perhaps you can try with trap crops ( these are plants which are known to be attractive to the pest and which are used to lure the pest away from the actual crop), or intercropping (two crops are grown together, either intimately within the same row or in adjacent rows, when onions and carrots are grown together , the strong smell of the onions masks that of the carrots which are thus given protection from the carrot rrot fly, for example, some plants are known to be repellent to some invertebrates pests. Here in South America, as the soil is very humid, we usually use some of these techniques to protect crops from being damage by invertebrates,
                  Greetings
                  Veronica

                  ingrid_glass@... writes:

                  sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a balanced
                  ecosystem.

                  I would love to have a cute little hedgehog, but they are illegal
                  in California and my cats might get hurt pouncing on it. Also,
                  I might run over it in the driveway. Frogs would get eaten. Birds
                  are my best bet.

                  Do you know if rats eat slugs and snails? there is enough of a rat
                  population here in the ivy to support owls who barf the results.

                  Mary Christine

                • vic_doyle
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 11, 2008
                    --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Infowolf1@... wrote:

                    > In a message dated 12/3/2007 6:10:56 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                    > ingrid_glass@... writes:
                    >
                    > sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a
                    balanced
                    > ecosystem.
                    >

                    > I would love to have a cute little hedgehog, but they are
                    illegal
                    > in California and my cats might get hurt pouncing on it.
                    Also,
                    > I might run over it in the driveway. Frogs would get
                    eaten. Birds
                    > are my best bet.
                    >
                    > Do you know if rats eat slugs and snails? there is enough
                    of a rat
                    > population here in the ivy to support owls who barf the
                    results.

                    > Mary Christine

                    Reply-

                    Hi Im new here, but I can recommend that you manage a small flock of
                    Khaki Campbell ducks as they eat all slugs in the area and they lay
                    lots of eggs, so go get ducking!!!