RE: [pfaf] my HUUUUGE problem with S L U G S. Help!!!

  • ingrid glass
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
      Hi!

      I visited a wildlife friendly garden last year, run by Marc Carlton & his partner in SE London, and I remember him saying they didn't have a problem with slugs/snails eating their veg because they attracted sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a balanced ecosystem. It had taken many years to achieve this - seems like a sustainable (permaculture) way to approach the problem to me, tho' more of a long term approach I guess. His website is : http://www.foxleas.com/

      Ingrid

      ________________________________

      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      From: juliano8@...
      Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 08:49:35 +0000
      Subject: [pfaf] my HUUUUGE problem with S L U G S. Help!!!

      HI,

      This is my very first post here.

      I am TRYING to get as much inspiration as possible to try and create a
      permaculture garden where I live.
      It is a small garden and quite odd. But before I go off on a tangent, in
      order for me to even BEGIN the design--as it were--i need to know what
      to do about the slug problem we have here in Northwest UK, or at least I have.
      Manchester---well hwere I am anyway.

      I cannot tell you the amount of plants we have bought--not
      vegetables--that have simply become slug food. I have kept the garden
      organic, but in doing so kind of gave in to the slug problem by just
      keeping the plants they dont seem to eat!

      But...if I want to create an edible garden, I really need help with this
      first(?) MAJOR problem.

      I bought Michael Guerra's book Edible Container Garden, and before
      emailing you, I tried to find if he has a contact address (?) but cannot
      find one. because this is a question I would ask him.

      So I am looking for an idea or _IDEAS_ how to tackle this problem of slugs.

      Celeb spotting – Play CelebMashup and win cool prizes
      https://www.celebmashup.com
    • Allmende Verden
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
        Hi everybody,
        here in Northgermany we get growing problems with slugs as the winters
        are getting warmer and fewer of the eggs are destroyed by frosts. So
        another method is to keep the soil without mulch over winter (what is
        bad for both, slugs and soil).

        In our project we`re trying to use only materials and technics that,
        at least in theory, can be made availible by smal groups of people
        under any economical circumstances.
        We`re using slug-fences. The overal principle of these can be seen here
        http://www.slugfence.com/slug_info/fence_info/hauptteil_fence_info.html

        It is an inteligence-barrier. To come over it the slug would have to
        climb in the opposite direction it wants to go.
        We built a fence from regional oak-wood which can be seen on the
        bottom of http://davyd.de/allmende/fotos3.html

        A good lute might be birch bark tar.

        still you`ll have the slugs and their eggs inside the fenced area and
        it`ll be ongoing reinfected by mulch or something. For these problems
        we found collecting of the slugs successful.
        for that we`re baiting them with selected rests from the kitchen:
        brassica, fruit, avocado, onion... (experiment what yours like best!).
        The best time for collecting is in the dark, when dew has fallen.
        Worse is in rain and daylight. In the sunlight you won`t find any.
        Best of all they like the cut and dead bodies of other slugs, so a
        second patrol over the area will be successful.
        greetings from Klaus

        Artilleriestr. 6
        D-27283 Verden
        Tel (+49) 4231- 90 50 30
        Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
        http://davyd.de/allmende
      • Travis Philp
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
          They themselves are not a problem but I had a problem with them. They produce a problem for me when they wipe out whole beds of plants.

          Too much moisture is impossible to avoid in the Frasier Valley except for freakishly dry seasons which are rare. We used only well rotted compost so that wasn't a factor...As for getting "some sun down there", I'm not sure what else I can do. The sun doesn't take my requests, and believe me I've asked for it. When slugs are in small numbers I let them do their thing but in a garden that is only two years old their population is too great. We knocked their population back and then once they stopped decimating our crops we left them alone. I think that taking 2 acres and leaving with them with about 78 isn't asking too much.

          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
            You're welcome. I don't know if I mentioned the spacing of the traps. I cant say what is optimal but I put them every 15 feet or so.

            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
              In a message dated 12/3/2007 6:10:56 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
              ingrid_glass@... writes:

              sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a balanced
              ecosystem.

              I would love to have a cute little hedgehog, but they are illegal
              in California and my cats might get hurt pouncing on it. Also,
              I might run over it in the driveway. Frogs would get eaten. Birds
              are my best bet.

              Do you know if rats eat slugs and snails? there is enough of a rat
              population here in the ivy to support owls who barf the results.

              Mary Christine

            • Allmende Verden
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 4, 2007
                Hi!
                We do not have good experiences in using beer traps. The beer doesn't
                only attrack the slugs you've got in your garden, it also attracks
                every slug in the neighbourhood. So you are always going on catching
                them, while the next ones are arriving.
                The other thing I did not like was that not only slugs got drowned in
                the beer, but also flys, worms, beetles, and other small animals.
                And that happened although the hole of the traps was above soil level.

                Greets from northern Germany,
                Alex

                Zitat von Light2uToo@...:

                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 4, 2007
                  I´d support what Alex says. Before we startet baiting/collecting we
                  used beertraps for years in a way that they where always at the outer
                  boarders of the bed (hoping to catch the slugs coming from outside),
                  though always slugs were caught in control-traps in the center. And in
                  the end maybe we breeded beer-resistant slugs: this year when the
                  population aroused enormous, the number of slugs in the traps didn´t.
                  greets from Klaus

                  Artilleriestr. 6
                  D-27283 Verden
                  Tel (+49) 4231- 90 50 30
                  Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
                  http://davyd.de/allmende
                • veronica giselle lescano
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 4, 2007
                    Hi,
                    If releasing the slug´s natural predator do not work, perhaps you can try with trap crops ( these are plants which are known to be attractive to the pest and which are used to lure the pest away from the actual crop), or intercropping (two crops are grown together, either intimately within the same row or in adjacent rows, when onions and carrots are grown together , the strong smell of the onions masks that of the carrots which are thus given protection from the carrot rrot fly, for example, some plants are known to be repellent to some invertebrates pests. Here in South America, as the soil is very humid, we usually use some of these techniques to protect crops from being damage by invertebrates,
                    Greetings
                    Veronica

                    ingrid_glass@... writes:

                    sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a balanced
                    ecosystem.

                    I would love to have a cute little hedgehog, but they are illegal
                    in California and my cats might get hurt pouncing on it. Also,
                    I might run over it in the driveway. Frogs would get eaten. Birds
                    are my best bet.

                    Do you know if rats eat slugs and snails? there is enough of a rat
                    population here in the ivy to support owls who barf the results.

                    Mary Christine

                  • vic_doyle
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 11, 2008
                      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Infowolf1@... wrote:

                      > In a message dated 12/3/2007 6:10:56 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                      > ingrid_glass@... writes:
                      >
                      > sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a
                      balanced
                      > ecosystem.
                      >

                      > I would love to have a cute little hedgehog, but they are
                      illegal
                      > in California and my cats might get hurt pouncing on it.
                      Also,
                      > I might run over it in the driveway. Frogs would get
                      eaten. Birds
                      > are my best bet.
                      >
                      > Do you know if rats eat slugs and snails? there is enough
                      of a rat
                      > population here in the ivy to support owls who barf the
                      results.

                      > Mary Christine

                      Reply-

                      Hi Im new here, but I can recommend that you manage a small flock of
                      Khaki Campbell ducks as they eat all slugs in the area and they lay
                      lots of eggs, so go get ducking!!!