Re: [pfaf] Re: Slugs

  • Michael Porter
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
      --using rings of copper pipe around the base of plants that are free standing will also deter snails and Slugs, but it only works if they must crawl over them to get to the plant, slugs and snails have a copper based system, [not iron] and they don't do well on copper, --Michael Porter

      Adam Ormes Court <solar_wind@...> wrote: These people claim that using copper tools prevents slugs..

      http://implementations.co.uk/main_pages/slugs_and_snails.html

      Interesting, but you should make them yourself - I think theirs are very
      expensive.

      ***
      A.
      --
      http://campaigntosavethehumans.blogspot.com/

      http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html

    • Infowolf1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
        In a message dated 12/3/2007 4:05:24 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        michaels4gardens@... writes:

        --using rings of copper pipe around the base of plants that are free
        standing will also deter snails and Slugs, but it only works if they must crawl over
        them to get to the plant, slugs and snails have a copper based system, [not
        iron] and they don't do well on copper, --Michael Porter

        gotta keep that copper tape clean and bright, once it tarnishes it
        doesn't work.

        Whaddya mean copper based? are these guys from Mars or something?

        Mary Christine

      • omoak108
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007
          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Ormes Court" <solar_wind@...> wrote:

          > These people claim that using copper tools prevents slugs..
          >
          > http://implementations.co.uk/main_pages/slugs_and_snails.html
          >
          > Interesting, but you should make them yourself - I think theirs are very
          > expensive.
          >
          > ***
          > A.
          > --
          > http://campaigntosavethehumans.blogspot.com/
          >
          > --
          > http://www.fastmail.fm - One of many happy users:
          > http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html

          Yes slugs can be a huge problem - nightmare! All the methods pushed by
          the organic gardening catalogue I've found just DO NOT work. The
          copper tape - total waste of money and effort and building up of false
          expectations with a totally priceless crop you **** *****'s!!!!!

          ...and ...so you have some 'blue' slug petals..so what? they still are
          totally usless more or less because they don't contain the nasty
          chemicals that kill and turn slugs to a revolting liquid and last for
          ages. (but will also kill anything that eats (enough) of them.)

          Grassland here in England is the slugs home - they are less keen on
          woodland including clearings, so maybe theres a pointer to a slug free
          reality. Otherwise big is beautiful when it comes to slug
          defence...but in bad season (like UK this summer just gone), the
          plague in some settings can only be stopped by large and regular doses
          of blue slug death.
        • omoak108
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 7, 2007
            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "omoak108" <omoak108@...> wrote:

            > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Ormes Court" <solar_wind@> wrote:
            > >
            > > These people claim that using copper tools prevents slugs..
            > >
            > > http://implementations.co.uk/main_pages/slugs_and_snails.html
            > >
            > > Interesting, but you should make them yourself - I think theirs
            are very
            > > expensive.
            > >
            > > ***
            > > A.
            > > --
            > > http://campaigntosavethehumans.blogspot.com/
            > >
            > > --
            > > http://www.fastmail.fm - One of many happy users:
            > > http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html
            > >

            > Yes slugs can be a huge problem - nightmare! All the methods pushed by
            > the organic gardening catalogue I've found just DO NOT work. The
            > copper tape - total waste of money and effort and building up of false
            > expectations with a totally priceless crop you **** *****'s!!!!!
            >
            > ...and ...so you have some 'blue' slug petals..so what? they still are
            > totally usless more or less because they don't contain the nasty
            > chemicals that kill and turn slugs to a revolting liquid and last for
            > ages. (but will also kill anything that eats (enough) of them.)
            >
            > Grassland here in England is the slugs home - they are less keen on
            > woodland including clearings, so maybe theres a pointer to a slug free
            > reality. Otherwise big is beautiful when it comes to slug
            > defence...but in bad season (like UK this summer just gone), the
            > plague in some settings can only be stopped by large and regular doses
            > of blue slug death.

            It was so rainy and cloudy this last season that I found in some
            locations that growth was retarded by low light levels and excessive
            damp - which also lead to spider mite problems...but they can be dealt
            with easily by 2/3 soap washes. All that anti-drought mulching effort
            - and we have one of the wettest summers on record!

            Back to slugs: I don't like using blue slug death...so I will try and
            avoid the situations where the use is inevitable to save the crop.
            They seem to communicate with each other (slugs) and once they have a
            soft target, millions more converge. So anyway, I was thinking about
            forget garden woodland clearings and strong study plants, and the
            presence of toads and frogs...birds also...don't wanna see then dieing
            in pain. What is the point in making a natural alchemic heaven for the
            creatures of the Mother (including human beings) and then throwing a
            deadly poison around causing horror and pain?
          • Infowolf1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 7, 2007
              In a message dated 12/7/2007 6:41:38 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
              omoak108@... writes:

              What is the point in making a natural alchemic heaven for the
              creatures of the Mother (including human beings) and then throwing a
              deadly poison around causing horror and pain?

              I am Christian and with a change of name of originator of
              the creatures, I would say the same thing, why make a heaven
              for these things YHVH made, and then poison them with
              something nasty? They have feelings too.

              I have noticed that they love my bear's britches, maybe these
              can be a substitute home for them, along with some predators
              if they leave or when the giant leaves are less. The leaves are
              also good for the throat and stomach.

              Mary Christine

            • Pat Meadows
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 7, 2007
                On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 11:03:15 -0000, you wrote:

                >Back to slugs: I don't like using blue slug death...so I will try and
                >avoid the situations where the use is inevitable to save the crop.
                >They seem to communicate with each other (slugs) and once they have a
                >soft target, millions more converge. So anyway, I was thinking about
                >forget garden woodland clearings and strong study plants, and the
                >presence of toads and frogs...birds also...don't wanna see then dieing
                >in pain. What is the point in making a natural alchemic heaven for the
                >creatures of the Mother (including human beings) and then throwing a
                >deadly poison around causing horror and pain?

                I don't understand this.

                Do you not have the iron phosphate-based slug bait in your country? It
                works and is harmless to birds and animals. Iron-phosphate is a natural
                substance, found in the soil anyway.

                This is what I'm talking about; it is harmless to birds and wildlife:

                http://www.pestproducts.com/sluggo.htm

                Pat
                -- Northern Pennsylvania

                Good planets are hard to find; let's take care of
                the one we have.
              • Infowolf1@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 7, 2007
                  It sounds to me sluggo clogs their guts and they die of
                  blockage and starvation. I don't know if that's much
                  better.

                  Just catch them all, and feed them to something. Or
                  let them fall into beer and die happy.

                  Mary Christine

                • Pat Meadows
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 7, 2007
                    On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 11:58:42 EST, you wrote:

                    >It sounds to me sluggo clogs their guts and they die of
                    >blockage and starvation. I don't know if that's much
                    >better.

                    What's better about it is that it does not harm birds and other wildlife.

                    I'm not really concerned about the welfare of the slugs (sad but true) - my
                    garden comes first. On the other hand, if they don't eat my plants I leave
                    them alone.

                    >Just catch them all, and feed them to something. Or
                    >let them fall into beer and die happy.

                    I've tried beer and found it really ineffective.