Re: my HUUUUGE problem with S L U G S. Help!!!

  • Light2uToo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
      "Travis Philp" _trphilp@... _
      (mailto:trphilp@...?Subject= Re:%20my%20HUUUUGE%20problem%20with%20S%20L%20U%20G%20S.%20Help!!!) wrote:

      << Cut a few one-inch square or triangular doors into the container sides
      and use the lid to deflect rain and prevent dilution of the beer. Position the
      holes just below the container rim and dig the container into the soil,
      leaving the cut holes at or just slightly above soil level. >>

      That was so well-explained. Thank you! We have a lot of trouble with slugs
      around here, which is southwestern Oklahoma. The odd thing is that it can get
      so, so hot and dry, especially in the summers, and yet we'll have problems
      with slugs. I only use plants that are fairly drought resistant, because we
      have to ration water sometimes. And still, the slugs will be a problem. They
      must be little creatures.

      I think the idea of killing them with beer is a really good one, even mock
      beer. Somehow it seems more humane than most other ways I've heard of.
      Probably the most humane way would be to quickly smash them with a shoe or
      something, but I can't deal with those sluggy guts. Bleecchhh.

      Lena

      _Click to Donate - Free donations to your favorite causes! _
      (http://www.care2.com/click2donate/)

    • ingrid glass
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
        Hi!

        I visited a wildlife friendly garden last year, run by Marc Carlton & his partner in SE London, and I remember him saying they didn't have a problem with slugs/snails eating their veg because they attracted sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a balanced ecosystem. It had taken many years to achieve this - seems like a sustainable (permaculture) way to approach the problem to me, tho' more of a long term approach I guess. His website is : http://www.foxleas.com/

        Ingrid

        ________________________________

        To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
        From: juliano8@...
        Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 08:49:35 +0000
        Subject: [pfaf] my HUUUUGE problem with S L U G S. Help!!!

        HI,

        This is my very first post here.

        I am TRYING to get as much inspiration as possible to try and create a
        permaculture garden where I live.
        It is a small garden and quite odd. But before I go off on a tangent, in
        order for me to even BEGIN the design--as it were--i need to know what
        to do about the slug problem we have here in Northwest UK, or at least I have.
        Manchester---well hwere I am anyway.

        I cannot tell you the amount of plants we have bought--not
        vegetables--that have simply become slug food. I have kept the garden
        organic, but in doing so kind of gave in to the slug problem by just
        keeping the plants they dont seem to eat!

        But...if I want to create an edible garden, I really need help with this
        first(?) MAJOR problem.

        I bought Michael Guerra's book Edible Container Garden, and before
        emailing you, I tried to find if he has a contact address (?) but cannot
        find one. because this is a question I would ask him.

        So I am looking for an idea or _IDEAS_ how to tackle this problem of slugs.

        Celeb spotting – Play CelebMashup and win cool prizes
        https://www.celebmashup.com
      • Allmende Verden
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
          Hi everybody,
          here in Northgermany we get growing problems with slugs as the winters
          are getting warmer and fewer of the eggs are destroyed by frosts. So
          another method is to keep the soil without mulch over winter (what is
          bad for both, slugs and soil).

          In our project we`re trying to use only materials and technics that,
          at least in theory, can be made availible by smal groups of people
          under any economical circumstances.
          We`re using slug-fences. The overal principle of these can be seen here
          http://www.slugfence.com/slug_info/fence_info/hauptteil_fence_info.html

          It is an inteligence-barrier. To come over it the slug would have to
          climb in the opposite direction it wants to go.
          We built a fence from regional oak-wood which can be seen on the
          bottom of http://davyd.de/allmende/fotos3.html

          A good lute might be birch bark tar.

          still you`ll have the slugs and their eggs inside the fenced area and
          it`ll be ongoing reinfected by mulch or something. For these problems
          we found collecting of the slugs successful.
          for that we`re baiting them with selected rests from the kitchen:
          brassica, fruit, avocado, onion... (experiment what yours like best!).
          The best time for collecting is in the dark, when dew has fallen.
          Worse is in rain and daylight. In the sunlight you won`t find any.
          Best of all they like the cut and dead bodies of other slugs, so a
          second patrol over the area will be successful.
          greetings from Klaus

          Artilleriestr. 6
          D-27283 Verden
          Tel (+49) 4231- 90 50 30
          Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
          http://davyd.de/allmende
        • Travis Philp
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
            They themselves are not a problem but I had a problem with them. They produce a problem for me when they wipe out whole beds of plants.

            Too much moisture is impossible to avoid in the Frasier Valley except for freakishly dry seasons which are rare. We used only well rotted compost so that wasn't a factor...As for getting "some sun down there", I'm not sure what else I can do. The sun doesn't take my requests, and believe me I've asked for it. When slugs are in small numbers I let them do their thing but in a garden that is only two years old their population is too great. We knocked their population back and then once they stopped decimating our crops we left them alone. I think that taking 2 acres and leaving with them with about 78 isn't asking too much.

            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
              You're welcome. I don't know if I mentioned the spacing of the traps. I cant say what is optimal but I put them every 15 feet or so.

              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                In a message dated 12/3/2007 6:10:56 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                ingrid_glass@... writes:

                sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a balanced
                ecosystem.

                I would love to have a cute little hedgehog, but they are illegal
                in California and my cats might get hurt pouncing on it. Also,
                I might run over it in the driveway. Frogs would get eaten. Birds
                are my best bet.

                Do you know if rats eat slugs and snails? there is enough of a rat
                population here in the ivy to support owls who barf the results.

                Mary Christine

              • Allmende Verden
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 4, 2007
                  Hi!
                  We do not have good experiences in using beer traps. The beer doesn't
                  only attrack the slugs you've got in your garden, it also attracks
                  every slug in the neighbourhood. So you are always going on catching
                  them, while the next ones are arriving.
                  The other thing I did not like was that not only slugs got drowned in
                  the beer, but also flys, worms, beetles, and other small animals.
                  And that happened although the hole of the traps was above soil level.

                  Greets from northern Germany,
                  Alex

                  Zitat von Light2uToo@...:

                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 4, 2007
                    I´d support what Alex says. Before we startet baiting/collecting we
                    used beertraps for years in a way that they where always at the outer
                    boarders of the bed (hoping to catch the slugs coming from outside),
                    though always slugs were caught in control-traps in the center. And in
                    the end maybe we breeded beer-resistant slugs: this year when the
                    population aroused enormous, the number of slugs in the traps didn´t.
                    greets from Klaus

                    Artilleriestr. 6
                    D-27283 Verden
                    Tel (+49) 4231- 90 50 30
                    Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
                    http://davyd.de/allmende
                  • veronica giselle lescano
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 4, 2007
                      Hi,
                      If releasing the slug´s natural predator do not work, perhaps you can try with trap crops ( these are plants which are known to be attractive to the pest and which are used to lure the pest away from the actual crop), or intercropping (two crops are grown together, either intimately within the same row or in adjacent rows, when onions and carrots are grown together , the strong smell of the onions masks that of the carrots which are thus given protection from the carrot rrot fly, for example, some plants are known to be repellent to some invertebrates pests. Here in South America, as the soil is very humid, we usually use some of these techniques to protect crops from being damage by invertebrates,
                      Greetings
                      Veronica

                      ingrid_glass@... writes:

                      sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a balanced
                      ecosystem.

                      I would love to have a cute little hedgehog, but they are illegal
                      in California and my cats might get hurt pouncing on it. Also,
                      I might run over it in the driveway. Frogs would get eaten. Birds
                      are my best bet.

                      Do you know if rats eat slugs and snails? there is enough of a rat
                      population here in the ivy to support owls who barf the results.

                      Mary Christine

                    • vic_doyle
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 11, 2008
                        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Infowolf1@... wrote:

                        > In a message dated 12/3/2007 6:10:56 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                        > ingrid_glass@... writes:
                        >
                        > sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a
                        balanced
                        > ecosystem.
                        >

                        > I would love to have a cute little hedgehog, but they are
                        illegal
                        > in California and my cats might get hurt pouncing on it.
                        Also,
                        > I might run over it in the driveway. Frogs would get
                        eaten. Birds
                        > are my best bet.
                        >
                        > Do you know if rats eat slugs and snails? there is enough
                        of a rat
                        > population here in the ivy to support owls who barf the
                        results.

                        > Mary Christine

                        Reply-

                        Hi Im new here, but I can recommend that you manage a small flock of
                        Khaki Campbell ducks as they eat all slugs in the area and they lay
                        lots of eggs, so go get ducking!!!