Re: Slugs

  • Adam Ormes Court
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2007
      These people claim that using copper tools prevents slugs..

      http://implementations.co.uk/main_pages/slugs_and_snails.html

      Interesting, but you should make them yourself - I think theirs are very
      expensive.

      ***
      A.
      --
      http://campaigntosavethehumans.blogspot.com/

      http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html
    • Michael Porter

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
          In a message dated 12/3/2007 4:05:24 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
          michaels4gardens@... writes:

          --using rings of copper pipe around the base of plants that are free
          standing will also deter snails and Slugs, but it only works if they must crawl over
          them to get to the plant, slugs and snails have a copper based system, [not
          iron] and they don't do well on copper, --Michael Porter

          gotta keep that copper tape clean and bright, once it tarnishes it
          doesn't work.

          Whaddya mean copper based? are these guys from Mars or something?

          Mary Christine

        • omoak108
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007
            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Ormes Court" <solar_wind@...> wrote:

            > These people claim that using copper tools prevents slugs..
            >
            > http://implementations.co.uk/main_pages/slugs_and_snails.html
            >
            > Interesting, but you should make them yourself - I think theirs are very
            > expensive.
            >
            > ***
            > A.
            > --
            > http://campaigntosavethehumans.blogspot.com/
            >
            > --
            > http://www.fastmail.fm - One of many happy users:
            > http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html

            Yes slugs can be a huge problem - nightmare! All the methods pushed by
            the organic gardening catalogue I've found just DO NOT work. The
            copper tape - total waste of money and effort and building up of false
            expectations with a totally priceless crop you **** *****'s!!!!!

            ...and ...so you have some 'blue' slug petals..so what? they still are
            totally usless more or less because they don't contain the nasty
            chemicals that kill and turn slugs to a revolting liquid and last for
            ages. (but will also kill anything that eats (enough) of them.)

            Grassland here in England is the slugs home - they are less keen on
            woodland including clearings, so maybe theres a pointer to a slug free
            reality. Otherwise big is beautiful when it comes to slug
            defence...but in bad season (like UK this summer just gone), the
            plague in some settings can only be stopped by large and regular doses
            of blue slug death.
          • omoak108
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 7, 2007
              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "omoak108" <omoak108@...> wrote:

              > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Ormes Court" <solar_wind@> wrote:
              > >
              > > These people claim that using copper tools prevents slugs..
              > >
              > > http://implementations.co.uk/main_pages/slugs_and_snails.html
              > >
              > > Interesting, but you should make them yourself - I think theirs
              are very
              > > expensive.
              > >
              > > ***
              > > A.
              > > --
              > > http://campaigntosavethehumans.blogspot.com/
              > >
              > > --
              > > http://www.fastmail.fm - One of many happy users:
              > > http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html
              > >

              > Yes slugs can be a huge problem - nightmare! All the methods pushed by
              > the organic gardening catalogue I've found just DO NOT work. The
              > copper tape - total waste of money and effort and building up of false
              > expectations with a totally priceless crop you **** *****'s!!!!!
              >
              > ...and ...so you have some 'blue' slug petals..so what? they still are
              > totally usless more or less because they don't contain the nasty
              > chemicals that kill and turn slugs to a revolting liquid and last for
              > ages. (but will also kill anything that eats (enough) of them.)
              >
              > Grassland here in England is the slugs home - they are less keen on
              > woodland including clearings, so maybe theres a pointer to a slug free
              > reality. Otherwise big is beautiful when it comes to slug
              > defence...but in bad season (like UK this summer just gone), the
              > plague in some settings can only be stopped by large and regular doses
              > of blue slug death.

              It was so rainy and cloudy this last season that I found in some
              locations that growth was retarded by low light levels and excessive
              damp - which also lead to spider mite problems...but they can be dealt
              with easily by 2/3 soap washes. All that anti-drought mulching effort
              - and we have one of the wettest summers on record!

              Back to slugs: I don't like using blue slug death...so I will try and
              avoid the situations where the use is inevitable to save the crop.
              They seem to communicate with each other (slugs) and once they have a
              soft target, millions more converge. So anyway, I was thinking about
              forget garden woodland clearings and strong study plants, and the
              presence of toads and frogs...birds also...don't wanna see then dieing
              in pain. What is the point in making a natural alchemic heaven for the
              creatures of the Mother (including human beings) and then throwing a
              deadly poison around causing horror and pain?
            • Infowolf1@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 7, 2007
                In a message dated 12/7/2007 6:41:38 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                omoak108@... writes:

                What is the point in making a natural alchemic heaven for the
                creatures of the Mother (including human beings) and then throwing a
                deadly poison around causing horror and pain?

                I am Christian and with a change of name of originator of
                the creatures, I would say the same thing, why make a heaven
                for these things YHVH made, and then poison them with
                something nasty? They have feelings too.

                I have noticed that they love my bear's britches, maybe these
                can be a substitute home for them, along with some predators
                if they leave or when the giant leaves are less. The leaves are
                also good for the throat and stomach.

                Mary Christine

              • Pat Meadows
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 7, 2007
                  On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 11:03:15 -0000, you wrote:

                  >Back to slugs: I don't like using blue slug death...so I will try and
                  >avoid the situations where the use is inevitable to save the crop.
                  >They seem to communicate with each other (slugs) and once they have a
                  >soft target, millions more converge. So anyway, I was thinking about
                  >forget garden woodland clearings and strong study plants, and the
                  >presence of toads and frogs...birds also...don't wanna see then dieing
                  >in pain. What is the point in making a natural alchemic heaven for the
                  >creatures of the Mother (including human beings) and then throwing a
                  >deadly poison around causing horror and pain?

                  I don't understand this.

                  Do you not have the iron phosphate-based slug bait in your country? It
                  works and is harmless to birds and animals. Iron-phosphate is a natural
                  substance, found in the soil anyway.

                  This is what I'm talking about; it is harmless to birds and wildlife:

                  http://www.pestproducts.com/sluggo.htm

                  Pat
                  -- Northern Pennsylvania

                  Good planets are hard to find; let's take care of
                  the one we have.
                • Infowolf1@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 7, 2007
                    It sounds to me sluggo clogs their guts and they die of
                    blockage and starvation. I don't know if that's much
                    better.

                    Just catch them all, and feed them to something. Or
                    let them fall into beer and die happy.

                    Mary Christine

                  • Pat Meadows
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 7, 2007
                      On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 11:58:42 EST, you wrote:

                      >It sounds to me sluggo clogs their guts and they die of
                      >blockage and starvation. I don't know if that's much
                      >better.

                      What's better about it is that it does not harm birds and other wildlife.

                      I'm not really concerned about the welfare of the slugs (sad but true) - my
                      garden comes first. On the other hand, if they don't eat my plants I leave
                      them alone.

                      >Just catch them all, and feed them to something. Or
                      >let them fall into beer and die happy.

                      I've tried beer and found it really ineffective.