Re: Muscovy ducks

  • Gail
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2007
      That would be the Muscovy -- a South American tree waterfowl. Very easy
      to keep. Doesn't need a pond either, just a little pool of water. Even
      without clipping their wings they tend to stay around your house.

      Where can I get them? Are they big enough cats would feel inhibited
      about attacking them?

      Almost any good hatchery will have Muscovy ducklings, or, if you
      know/can find someone who already has them they reproduce prolifically.
      We keep ONE in the yard as a pet/insect and mollusk controller, and have
      many more out in the pen. They are great egg layers and good meat birds
      as well. The adults are far too large for most cats to bother, even the
      'possums and 'coons shy away from them here and go for the smaller birds
      like Mallards.
      If you are near Houston, Texas I usually have a few for sale.
      Gail