Re: [pfaf] my HUUUUGE problem with S L U G S. Help!!!

  • Infowolf1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
      In a message dated 12/1/2007 5:45:22 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, ces@...
      writes:

      That would be the Muscovy -- a South American tree waterfowl. Very easy
      to keep. Doesn't need a pond either, just a little pool of water. Even
      without clipping their wings they tend to stay around your house.

      Where can I get them? Are they big enough cats would feel inhibited
      about attacking them?

    • Griselda Mussett
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
        Ducks also eat your precious plants, or walk on them, and they leave
        their slippery and smelly mess around too, so for a small garden (in my
        opinion) they would be as much of a menace as slugs. We had them at my
        parents' smallholding when I was a kid and I agree they like staying
        round the house. So it's very easy to walk the mess inside on your own
        shoes. It would be sad to see them penned up all the time.

        On 1 Dec 2007, at 18:17, Clarke Editing Services wrote:

        > .. .. there's one type of duck
        > >
        > > which sort of hisses rather than quacking, but I cannot remember
        > its name.
        > >

        > That would be the Muscovy -- a South American tree waterfowl. Very
        > easy
        > to keep. Doesn't need a pond either, just a little pool of water. Even
        > without clipping their wings they tend to stay around your house.

      • Niels Corfield
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
          It will have to be a multi-pronged assault unfortunately. Like plugging
          holes in a leaky dam with your fingers.
          That said some precautions as well as preparations I think can give success.

          From experience with a grower near Hebdon Bridge, near Halifax, in the
          Yorkshire Pennines, where climate is something comparable, to say the
          least, much success has been gained by rearing plants in a nursery till
          quite large, on tables. We have extended this model and started to
          include shelving units as well as tables. And you can take further
          action by placing the legs of these tables in deep troughs of water
          and/or wrapping copper wire around the legs. Though be sure to keep the
          grass down around shelves especially as it can easily grow above above
          these first-line defences. We raised much of our brassica crop into 2l
          pots before planting-out and they have survived into maturity (though
          are still affected by slugs).
          Both in the nursery and in your plantings there is no substitute for
          healthy, vigorous plants. With well supplied fertile planting media the
          final objective, whether in your soil in containers in the nursery. I
          would recommend the widespread application of rock dust,
          http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60_165_166&products_id=2546.
          It will be more economic to apply this product to growing media/composts
          in the nursery than in your beds. Though a one time high-level dose of
          rock dust is worthwhile, and if you operate a no-dig system, with
          widespread use of deep-rooting companion/fertility plants, you should
          never have to make again. Bearing in-mind though that the object is
          raise healthy plants (in a healthy soil) that well disposed to resist
          predation (by slugs or whatever). I remember well a garden I visited in
          Asturias, Spain, a very maritime, mountainous region with much rain and
          clay. The example that sticks in the mind is of one particularly mangy
          looking brassica bed, in dry panned earth. However what was most
          interesting about this bed was that only one of these plants was badly
          effected by slug attacks. So I like to think of these beasts as a little
          more discerning than perhaps they are painted.
          In addition to this there are nursery container technologies that
          promote healthy plants by encouraging root development and virtually
          eliminating the issue of circling roots. One brand is called
          Rootrainers, they are expensive but do represent a real advantage in the
          critical early months as well furnishing you with sturdy plants ready
          for the onslaught.
          There is always something going-on at the microscopic level that we are
          seldom sensitive to. With this in mind, I'd like to suggest some other
          techniques for building soil life, or "a healthy Soil Foodweb". Which
          some feel now, is the key to healthy plant systems. Much more than the
          more widely accepted soil chemistry model. That minerals and other plant
          "foods", and their availability, is governed much more by soil
          microbiology. So nurturing soil micro-organisms (MOs) (and culturing
          your own) is one route to improving soil and plant health.
          I offer two complementary methods to realise this aim, without a degree
          in biology and simple materials:
          _Effective Micro-organisms (EM)_:
          -laboratory-isolated and cultured complementary group of MOs easily
          multiplied and prepared for garden application at home
          -also very effective at processing pure kitchen waste (cooked food,
          meat, fish the lot)
          -a renewed interest in ferments, as an analogy for beneficial soil
          processes -NB no "bad smells" in the compost or in the soil.
          http://del.icio.us/entrailer/EM
          http://www.livingsoil.co.uk/learning/whatis.html
          _Actively Aerated Compost Teas_ ("Biobrews")
          -home-prepared soil-plant "feeds"
          -can be applied to leaves and soil
          Links: http://del.icio.us/entrailer/BioBrew
          Books: /"Teaming with Microbes" /by Jeff Lowenfels
          Yahoo group: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/compost_tea/

          The other much overlooked and vitally important soil process is that of
          mycorrhizal fungi and their beneficial associations with plants. Their
          absence is almost guaranteed in a clean cultivated environment, yet they
          improve plant vigour significantly by extending root run, as much as
          100x; allowing further and more efficient gathering of nutrients and
          water by the plant, and in some cases by actually physically protecting
          the plant roots from attack, in this case by "snaring" parasitic
          nematodes while they forage in the root zone, looking to invade the
          roots thus weakening the plant. This phenomenon can apparently be seen
          in /Private Life of Plants/ BBC documentary series. Needless to say the
          action of these organisms will serve to weaken a plant making it more
          susceptible to slug damage.
          You can either make your own:
          http://www.sunseed.org.uk/downloads.asp?sid=Make%20your%20own%20Mycorrhizal
          http://www.sunseed.org.uk/downloads.asp?sid=Information%20Leaflets&id=106&dd=otherUploadeddocs/MycorrizhaMP08(E)_23.pdf
          http://www.sunseed.org.uk/downloads.asp?sid=Information%20Leaflets
          Or buy a product e.g.:
          http://www.fire1076.co.uk/rootgrowhome.php
          and then make your own.
          But remember they can't survive without living host plants (symbiosis).
          Links: http://del.icio.us/entrailer/mycorhizal

          The bottom-line here is that balanced ecosystems are not prone to the
          kind of explosive or destructive nature of slugs etc. The above measures
          promote health and balance in the garden.

          As for other techniques aimed directly at slugs: I have had good results
          with nematodes ("Nemaslug"). The main draw-back is the nematodes don't
          keep once the packet is open. One pack does 100 square metres. So my
          advice is to have enough plants to plant the whole area in one go. Or at
          least to have 100m2 worth of beds prepared for seeding. We had good
          success with direct seeding after nematode application also.
          I had satisfactory results with the organic slug pellets "Advanced Slug
          Killer". Best price B&Q. However they do end-up being an expensive
          solution as you will have to re-apply. They also seem not to be suitable
          for use with containers in the nursery, especially in the greenhouse, as
          they seem to act as a vector for fungi which seem to proliferate off
          them and all around the young seedlings, not good.
          Another option is copper tools. I have no experience of this directly
          but there seems some interest in these. They are expensive but from what
          I have seen, well-made.
          http://www.implementations.co.uk/
          The beer traps info provided by a previous respondent is useful. To this
          I would add, though perhaps implied earlier, that is very important to
          raise the level of the entrance holes above the soil. This will stop
          other creatures (beetle especially) from being drowned also. Also
          consider making the holes quite small, as I found a shrew in one of my
          traps last year.

          All these ideas, unfortunately, equate to more work and more learning.
          You might be lucky, one of these solutions used judiciously may give
          good results. Perhaps Nemaslug is the best candidate, but again you have
          to have things in place to make best use of its potential.

          Hope this helps.

          All the best,
          Niels

          My Bookmarks:
          http://del.icio.us/entrailer

          My Pics and Projects:
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/nielscorfield/
          http://picasaweb.google.com/mudguard

          Groups I Contribute to:

        • Light2uToo@aol.com
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
            "Travis Philp" _trphilp@... _
            (mailto:trphilp@...?Subject= Re:%20my%20HUUUUGE%20problem%20with%20S%20L%20U%20G%20S.%20Help!!!) wrote:

            << Cut a few one-inch square or triangular doors into the container sides
            and use the lid to deflect rain and prevent dilution of the beer. Position the
            holes just below the container rim and dig the container into the soil,
            leaving the cut holes at or just slightly above soil level. >>

            That was so well-explained. Thank you! We have a lot of trouble with slugs
            around here, which is southwestern Oklahoma. The odd thing is that it can get
            so, so hot and dry, especially in the summers, and yet we'll have problems
            with slugs. I only use plants that are fairly drought resistant, because we
            have to ration water sometimes. And still, the slugs will be a problem. They
            must be little creatures.

            I think the idea of killing them with beer is a really good one, even mock
            beer. Somehow it seems more humane than most other ways I've heard of.
            Probably the most humane way would be to quickly smash them with a shoe or
            something, but I can't deal with those sluggy guts. Bleecchhh.

            Lena

            _Click to Donate - Free donations to your favorite causes! _
            (http://www.care2.com/click2donate/)

          • ingrid glass
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
              Hi!

              I visited a wildlife friendly garden last year, run by Marc Carlton & his partner in SE London, and I remember him saying they didn't have a problem with slugs/snails eating their veg because they attracted sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a balanced ecosystem. It had taken many years to achieve this - seems like a sustainable (permaculture) way to approach the problem to me, tho' more of a long term approach I guess. His website is : http://www.foxleas.com/

              Ingrid

              ________________________________

              To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
              From: juliano8@...
              Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 08:49:35 +0000
              Subject: [pfaf] my HUUUUGE problem with S L U G S. Help!!!

              HI,

              This is my very first post here.

              I am TRYING to get as much inspiration as possible to try and create a
              permaculture garden where I live.
              It is a small garden and quite odd. But before I go off on a tangent, in
              order for me to even BEGIN the design--as it were--i need to know what
              to do about the slug problem we have here in Northwest UK, or at least I have.
              Manchester---well hwere I am anyway.

              I cannot tell you the amount of plants we have bought--not
              vegetables--that have simply become slug food. I have kept the garden
              organic, but in doing so kind of gave in to the slug problem by just
              keeping the plants they dont seem to eat!

              But...if I want to create an edible garden, I really need help with this
              first(?) MAJOR problem.

              I bought Michael Guerra's book Edible Container Garden, and before
              emailing you, I tried to find if he has a contact address (?) but cannot
              find one. because this is a question I would ask him.

              So I am looking for an idea or _IDEAS_ how to tackle this problem of slugs.

              Celeb spotting – Play CelebMashup and win cool prizes
              https://www.celebmashup.com
            • Allmende Verden
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                Hi everybody,
                here in Northgermany we get growing problems with slugs as the winters
                are getting warmer and fewer of the eggs are destroyed by frosts. So
                another method is to keep the soil without mulch over winter (what is
                bad for both, slugs and soil).

                In our project we`re trying to use only materials and technics that,
                at least in theory, can be made availible by smal groups of people
                under any economical circumstances.
                We`re using slug-fences. The overal principle of these can be seen here
                http://www.slugfence.com/slug_info/fence_info/hauptteil_fence_info.html

                It is an inteligence-barrier. To come over it the slug would have to
                climb in the opposite direction it wants to go.
                We built a fence from regional oak-wood which can be seen on the
                bottom of http://davyd.de/allmende/fotos3.html

                A good lute might be birch bark tar.

                still you`ll have the slugs and their eggs inside the fenced area and
                it`ll be ongoing reinfected by mulch or something. For these problems
                we found collecting of the slugs successful.
                for that we`re baiting them with selected rests from the kitchen:
                brassica, fruit, avocado, onion... (experiment what yours like best!).
                The best time for collecting is in the dark, when dew has fallen.
                Worse is in rain and daylight. In the sunlight you won`t find any.
                Best of all they like the cut and dead bodies of other slugs, so a
                second patrol over the area will be successful.
                greetings from Klaus

                Artilleriestr. 6
                D-27283 Verden
                Tel (+49) 4231- 90 50 30
                Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
                http://davyd.de/allmende
              • Travis Philp
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                  They themselves are not a problem but I had a problem with them. They produce a problem for me when they wipe out whole beds of plants.

                  Too much moisture is impossible to avoid in the Frasier Valley except for freakishly dry seasons which are rare. We used only well rotted compost so that wasn't a factor...As for getting "some sun down there", I'm not sure what else I can do. The sun doesn't take my requests, and believe me I've asked for it. When slugs are in small numbers I let them do their thing but in a garden that is only two years old their population is too great. We knocked their population back and then once they stopped decimating our crops we left them alone. I think that taking 2 acres and leaving with them with about 78 isn't asking too much.

                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                      In a message dated 12/3/2007 6:10:56 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                      ingrid_glass@... writes:

                      sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a balanced
                      ecosystem.

                      I would love to have a cute little hedgehog, but they are illegal
                      in California and my cats might get hurt pouncing on it. Also,
                      I might run over it in the driveway. Frogs would get eaten. Birds
                      are my best bet.

                      Do you know if rats eat slugs and snails? there is enough of a rat
                      population here in the ivy to support owls who barf the results.

                      Mary Christine

                    • Allmende Verden
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 4, 2007
                        Hi!
                        We do not have good experiences in using beer traps. The beer doesn't
                        only attrack the slugs you've got in your garden, it also attracks
                        every slug in the neighbourhood. So you are always going on catching
                        them, while the next ones are arriving.
                        The other thing I did not like was that not only slugs got drowned in
                        the beer, but also flys, worms, beetles, and other small animals.
                        And that happened although the hole of the traps was above soil level.

                        Greets from northern Germany,
                        Alex

                        Zitat von Light2uToo@...:

                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 4, 2007
                          I´d support what Alex says. Before we startet baiting/collecting we
                          used beertraps for years in a way that they where always at the outer
                          boarders of the bed (hoping to catch the slugs coming from outside),
                          though always slugs were caught in control-traps in the center. And in
                          the end maybe we breeded beer-resistant slugs: this year when the
                          population aroused enormous, the number of slugs in the traps didn´t.
                          greets from Klaus

                          Artilleriestr. 6
                          D-27283 Verden
                          Tel (+49) 4231- 90 50 30
                          Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
                          http://davyd.de/allmende
                        • veronica giselle lescano
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 4, 2007
                            Hi,
                            If releasing the slug´s natural predator do not work, perhaps you can try with trap crops ( these are plants which are known to be attractive to the pest and which are used to lure the pest away from the actual crop), or intercropping (two crops are grown together, either intimately within the same row or in adjacent rows, when onions and carrots are grown together , the strong smell of the onions masks that of the carrots which are thus given protection from the carrot rrot fly, for example, some plants are known to be repellent to some invertebrates pests. Here in South America, as the soil is very humid, we usually use some of these techniques to protect crops from being damage by invertebrates,
                            Greetings
                            Veronica

                            ingrid_glass@... writes:

                            sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a balanced
                            ecosystem.

                            I would love to have a cute little hedgehog, but they are illegal
                            in California and my cats might get hurt pouncing on it. Also,
                            I might run over it in the driveway. Frogs would get eaten. Birds
                            are my best bet.

                            Do you know if rats eat slugs and snails? there is enough of a rat
                            population here in the ivy to support owls who barf the results.

                            Mary Christine

                          • vic_doyle
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 11, 2008
                              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Infowolf1@... wrote:

                              > In a message dated 12/3/2007 6:10:56 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                              > ingrid_glass@... writes:
                              >
                              > sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a
                              balanced
                              > ecosystem.
                              >

                              > I would love to have a cute little hedgehog, but they are
                              illegal
                              > in California and my cats might get hurt pouncing on it.
                              Also,
                              > I might run over it in the driveway. Frogs would get
                              eaten. Birds
                              > are my best bet.
                              >
                              > Do you know if rats eat slugs and snails? there is enough
                              of a rat
                              > population here in the ivy to support owls who barf the
                              results.

                              > Mary Christine

                              Reply-

                              Hi Im new here, but I can recommend that you manage a small flock of
                              Khaki Campbell ducks as they eat all slugs in the area and they lay
                              lots of eggs, so go get ducking!!!