Re: [pfaf] my HUUUUGE problem with S L U G S. Help!!!

  • Clarke Editing Services
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
      .. .. there's one type of duck

      > which sort of hisses rather than quacking, but I cannot remember its name.

      That would be the Muscovy -- a South American tree waterfowl. Very easy
      to keep. Doesn't need a pond either, just a little pool of water. Even
      without clipping their wings they tend to stay around your house.
    • Infowolf1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
        In a message dated 12/1/2007 5:45:22 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, ces@...
        writes:

        That would be the Muscovy -- a South American tree waterfowl. Very easy
        to keep. Doesn't need a pond either, just a little pool of water. Even
        without clipping their wings they tend to stay around your house.

        Where can I get them? Are they big enough cats would feel inhibited
        about attacking them?

      • Griselda Mussett
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
          Ducks also eat your precious plants, or walk on them, and they leave
          their slippery and smelly mess around too, so for a small garden (in my
          opinion) they would be as much of a menace as slugs. We had them at my
          parents' smallholding when I was a kid and I agree they like staying
          round the house. So it's very easy to walk the mess inside on your own
          shoes. It would be sad to see them penned up all the time.

          On 1 Dec 2007, at 18:17, Clarke Editing Services wrote:

          > .. .. there's one type of duck
          > >
          > > which sort of hisses rather than quacking, but I cannot remember
          > its name.
          > >

          > That would be the Muscovy -- a South American tree waterfowl. Very
          > easy
          > to keep. Doesn't need a pond either, just a little pool of water. Even
          > without clipping their wings they tend to stay around your house.

        • Niels Corfield
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
            It will have to be a multi-pronged assault unfortunately. Like plugging
            holes in a leaky dam with your fingers.
            That said some precautions as well as preparations I think can give success.

            From experience with a grower near Hebdon Bridge, near Halifax, in the
            Yorkshire Pennines, where climate is something comparable, to say the
            least, much success has been gained by rearing plants in a nursery till
            quite large, on tables. We have extended this model and started to
            include shelving units as well as tables. And you can take further
            action by placing the legs of these tables in deep troughs of water
            and/or wrapping copper wire around the legs. Though be sure to keep the
            grass down around shelves especially as it can easily grow above above
            these first-line defences. We raised much of our brassica crop into 2l
            pots before planting-out and they have survived into maturity (though
            are still affected by slugs).
            Both in the nursery and in your plantings there is no substitute for
            healthy, vigorous plants. With well supplied fertile planting media the
            final objective, whether in your soil in containers in the nursery. I
            would recommend the widespread application of rock dust,
            http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60_165_166&products_id=2546.
            It will be more economic to apply this product to growing media/composts
            in the nursery than in your beds. Though a one time high-level dose of
            rock dust is worthwhile, and if you operate a no-dig system, with
            widespread use of deep-rooting companion/fertility plants, you should
            never have to make again. Bearing in-mind though that the object is
            raise healthy plants (in a healthy soil) that well disposed to resist
            predation (by slugs or whatever). I remember well a garden I visited in
            Asturias, Spain, a very maritime, mountainous region with much rain and
            clay. The example that sticks in the mind is of one particularly mangy
            looking brassica bed, in dry panned earth. However what was most
            interesting about this bed was that only one of these plants was badly
            effected by slug attacks. So I like to think of these beasts as a little
            more discerning than perhaps they are painted.
            In addition to this there are nursery container technologies that
            promote healthy plants by encouraging root development and virtually
            eliminating the issue of circling roots. One brand is called
            Rootrainers, they are expensive but do represent a real advantage in the
            critical early months as well furnishing you with sturdy plants ready
            for the onslaught.
            There is always something going-on at the microscopic level that we are
            seldom sensitive to. With this in mind, I'd like to suggest some other
            techniques for building soil life, or "a healthy Soil Foodweb". Which
            some feel now, is the key to healthy plant systems. Much more than the
            more widely accepted soil chemistry model. That minerals and other plant
            "foods", and their availability, is governed much more by soil
            microbiology. So nurturing soil micro-organisms (MOs) (and culturing
            your own) is one route to improving soil and plant health.
            I offer two complementary methods to realise this aim, without a degree
            in biology and simple materials:
            _Effective Micro-organisms (EM)_:
            -laboratory-isolated and cultured complementary group of MOs easily
            multiplied and prepared for garden application at home
            -also very effective at processing pure kitchen waste (cooked food,
            meat, fish the lot)
            -a renewed interest in ferments, as an analogy for beneficial soil
            processes -NB no "bad smells" in the compost or in the soil.
            http://del.icio.us/entrailer/EM
            http://www.livingsoil.co.uk/learning/whatis.html
            _Actively Aerated Compost Teas_ ("Biobrews")
            -home-prepared soil-plant "feeds"
            -can be applied to leaves and soil
            Links: http://del.icio.us/entrailer/BioBrew
            Books: /"Teaming with Microbes" /by Jeff Lowenfels
            Yahoo group: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/compost_tea/

            The other much overlooked and vitally important soil process is that of
            mycorrhizal fungi and their beneficial associations with plants. Their
            absence is almost guaranteed in a clean cultivated environment, yet they
            improve plant vigour significantly by extending root run, as much as
            100x; allowing further and more efficient gathering of nutrients and
            water by the plant, and in some cases by actually physically protecting
            the plant roots from attack, in this case by "snaring" parasitic
            nematodes while they forage in the root zone, looking to invade the
            roots thus weakening the plant. This phenomenon can apparently be seen
            in /Private Life of Plants/ BBC documentary series. Needless to say the
            action of these organisms will serve to weaken a plant making it more
            susceptible to slug damage.
            You can either make your own:
            http://www.sunseed.org.uk/downloads.asp?sid=Make%20your%20own%20Mycorrhizal
            http://www.sunseed.org.uk/downloads.asp?sid=Information%20Leaflets&id=106&dd=otherUploadeddocs/MycorrizhaMP08(E)_23.pdf
            http://www.sunseed.org.uk/downloads.asp?sid=Information%20Leaflets
            Or buy a product e.g.:
            http://www.fire1076.co.uk/rootgrowhome.php
            and then make your own.
            But remember they can't survive without living host plants (symbiosis).
            Links: http://del.icio.us/entrailer/mycorhizal

            The bottom-line here is that balanced ecosystems are not prone to the
            kind of explosive or destructive nature of slugs etc. The above measures
            promote health and balance in the garden.

            As for other techniques aimed directly at slugs: I have had good results
            with nematodes ("Nemaslug"). The main draw-back is the nematodes don't
            keep once the packet is open. One pack does 100 square metres. So my
            advice is to have enough plants to plant the whole area in one go. Or at
            least to have 100m2 worth of beds prepared for seeding. We had good
            success with direct seeding after nematode application also.
            I had satisfactory results with the organic slug pellets "Advanced Slug
            Killer". Best price B&Q. However they do end-up being an expensive
            solution as you will have to re-apply. They also seem not to be suitable
            for use with containers in the nursery, especially in the greenhouse, as
            they seem to act as a vector for fungi which seem to proliferate off
            them and all around the young seedlings, not good.
            Another option is copper tools. I have no experience of this directly
            but there seems some interest in these. They are expensive but from what
            I have seen, well-made.
            http://www.implementations.co.uk/
            The beer traps info provided by a previous respondent is useful. To this
            I would add, though perhaps implied earlier, that is very important to
            raise the level of the entrance holes above the soil. This will stop
            other creatures (beetle especially) from being drowned also. Also
            consider making the holes quite small, as I found a shrew in one of my
            traps last year.

            All these ideas, unfortunately, equate to more work and more learning.
            You might be lucky, one of these solutions used judiciously may give
            good results. Perhaps Nemaslug is the best candidate, but again you have
            to have things in place to make best use of its potential.

            Hope this helps.

            All the best,
            Niels

            My Bookmarks:
            http://del.icio.us/entrailer

            My Pics and Projects:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/nielscorfield/
            http://picasaweb.google.com/mudguard

            Groups I Contribute to:

          • Light2uToo@aol.com
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
              "Travis Philp" _trphilp@... _
              (mailto:trphilp@...?Subject= Re:%20my%20HUUUUGE%20problem%20with%20S%20L%20U%20G%20S.%20Help!!!) wrote:

              << Cut a few one-inch square or triangular doors into the container sides
              and use the lid to deflect rain and prevent dilution of the beer. Position the
              holes just below the container rim and dig the container into the soil,
              leaving the cut holes at or just slightly above soil level. >>

              That was so well-explained. Thank you! We have a lot of trouble with slugs
              around here, which is southwestern Oklahoma. The odd thing is that it can get
              so, so hot and dry, especially in the summers, and yet we'll have problems
              with slugs. I only use plants that are fairly drought resistant, because we
              have to ration water sometimes. And still, the slugs will be a problem. They
              must be little creatures.

              I think the idea of killing them with beer is a really good one, even mock
              beer. Somehow it seems more humane than most other ways I've heard of.
              Probably the most humane way would be to quickly smash them with a shoe or
              something, but I can't deal with those sluggy guts. Bleecchhh.

              Lena

              _Click to Donate - Free donations to your favorite causes! _
              (http://www.care2.com/click2donate/)

            • ingrid glass
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                Hi!

                I visited a wildlife friendly garden last year, run by Marc Carlton & his partner in SE London, and I remember him saying they didn't have a problem with slugs/snails eating their veg because they attracted sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a balanced ecosystem. It had taken many years to achieve this - seems like a sustainable (permaculture) way to approach the problem to me, tho' more of a long term approach I guess. His website is : http://www.foxleas.com/

                Ingrid

                ________________________________

                To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                From: juliano8@...
                Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 08:49:35 +0000
                Subject: [pfaf] my HUUUUGE problem with S L U G S. Help!!!

                HI,

                This is my very first post here.

                I am TRYING to get as much inspiration as possible to try and create a
                permaculture garden where I live.
                It is a small garden and quite odd. But before I go off on a tangent, in
                order for me to even BEGIN the design--as it were--i need to know what
                to do about the slug problem we have here in Northwest UK, or at least I have.
                Manchester---well hwere I am anyway.

                I cannot tell you the amount of plants we have bought--not
                vegetables--that have simply become slug food. I have kept the garden
                organic, but in doing so kind of gave in to the slug problem by just
                keeping the plants they dont seem to eat!

                But...if I want to create an edible garden, I really need help with this
                first(?) MAJOR problem.

                I bought Michael Guerra's book Edible Container Garden, and before
                emailing you, I tried to find if he has a contact address (?) but cannot
                find one. because this is a question I would ask him.

                So I am looking for an idea or _IDEAS_ how to tackle this problem of slugs.

                Celeb spotting – Play CelebMashup and win cool prizes
                https://www.celebmashup.com
              • Allmende Verden
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                  Hi everybody,
                  here in Northgermany we get growing problems with slugs as the winters
                  are getting warmer and fewer of the eggs are destroyed by frosts. So
                  another method is to keep the soil without mulch over winter (what is
                  bad for both, slugs and soil).

                  In our project we`re trying to use only materials and technics that,
                  at least in theory, can be made availible by smal groups of people
                  under any economical circumstances.
                  We`re using slug-fences. The overal principle of these can be seen here
                  http://www.slugfence.com/slug_info/fence_info/hauptteil_fence_info.html

                  It is an inteligence-barrier. To come over it the slug would have to
                  climb in the opposite direction it wants to go.
                  We built a fence from regional oak-wood which can be seen on the
                  bottom of http://davyd.de/allmende/fotos3.html

                  A good lute might be birch bark tar.

                  still you`ll have the slugs and their eggs inside the fenced area and
                  it`ll be ongoing reinfected by mulch or something. For these problems
                  we found collecting of the slugs successful.
                  for that we`re baiting them with selected rests from the kitchen:
                  brassica, fruit, avocado, onion... (experiment what yours like best!).
                  The best time for collecting is in the dark, when dew has fallen.
                  Worse is in rain and daylight. In the sunlight you won`t find any.
                  Best of all they like the cut and dead bodies of other slugs, so a
                  second patrol over the area will be successful.
                  greetings from Klaus

                  Artilleriestr. 6
                  D-27283 Verden
                  Tel (+49) 4231- 90 50 30
                  Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
                  http://davyd.de/allmende
                • Travis Philp
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                    They themselves are not a problem but I had a problem with them. They produce a problem for me when they wipe out whole beds of plants.

                    Too much moisture is impossible to avoid in the Frasier Valley except for freakishly dry seasons which are rare. We used only well rotted compost so that wasn't a factor...As for getting "some sun down there", I'm not sure what else I can do. The sun doesn't take my requests, and believe me I've asked for it. When slugs are in small numbers I let them do their thing but in a garden that is only two years old their population is too great. We knocked their population back and then once they stopped decimating our crops we left them alone. I think that taking 2 acres and leaving with them with about 78 isn't asking too much.

                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                      You're welcome. I don't know if I mentioned the spacing of the traps. I cant say what is optimal but I put them every 15 feet or so.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                        In a message dated 12/3/2007 6:10:56 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                        ingrid_glass@... writes:

                        sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a balanced
                        ecosystem.

                        I would love to have a cute little hedgehog, but they are illegal
                        in California and my cats might get hurt pouncing on it. Also,
                        I might run over it in the driveway. Frogs would get eaten. Birds
                        are my best bet.

                        Do you know if rats eat slugs and snails? there is enough of a rat
                        population here in the ivy to support owls who barf the results.

                        Mary Christine

                      • Allmende Verden
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 4, 2007
                          Hi!
                          We do not have good experiences in using beer traps. The beer doesn't
                          only attrack the slugs you've got in your garden, it also attracks
                          every slug in the neighbourhood. So you are always going on catching
                          them, while the next ones are arriving.
                          The other thing I did not like was that not only slugs got drowned in
                          the beer, but also flys, worms, beetles, and other small animals.
                          And that happened although the hole of the traps was above soil level.

                          Greets from northern Germany,
                          Alex

                          Zitat von Light2uToo@...:

                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 4, 2007
                            I´d support what Alex says. Before we startet baiting/collecting we
                            used beertraps for years in a way that they where always at the outer
                            boarders of the bed (hoping to catch the slugs coming from outside),
                            though always slugs were caught in control-traps in the center. And in
                            the end maybe we breeded beer-resistant slugs: this year when the
                            population aroused enormous, the number of slugs in the traps didn´t.
                            greets from Klaus

                            Artilleriestr. 6
                            D-27283 Verden
                            Tel (+49) 4231- 90 50 30
                            Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
                            http://davyd.de/allmende
                          • veronica giselle lescano
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 4, 2007
                              Hi,
                              If releasing the slug´s natural predator do not work, perhaps you can try with trap crops ( these are plants which are known to be attractive to the pest and which are used to lure the pest away from the actual crop), or intercropping (two crops are grown together, either intimately within the same row or in adjacent rows, when onions and carrots are grown together , the strong smell of the onions masks that of the carrots which are thus given protection from the carrot rrot fly, for example, some plants are known to be repellent to some invertebrates pests. Here in South America, as the soil is very humid, we usually use some of these techniques to protect crops from being damage by invertebrates,
                              Greetings
                              Veronica

                              ingrid_glass@... writes:

                              sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a balanced
                              ecosystem.

                              I would love to have a cute little hedgehog, but they are illegal
                              in California and my cats might get hurt pouncing on it. Also,
                              I might run over it in the driveway. Frogs would get eaten. Birds
                              are my best bet.

                              Do you know if rats eat slugs and snails? there is enough of a rat
                              population here in the ivy to support owls who barf the results.

                              Mary Christine

                            • vic_doyle
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 11, 2008
                                --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Infowolf1@... wrote:

                                > In a message dated 12/3/2007 6:10:56 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                > ingrid_glass@... writes:
                                >
                                > sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a
                                balanced
                                > ecosystem.
                                >

                                > I would love to have a cute little hedgehog, but they are
                                illegal
                                > in California and my cats might get hurt pouncing on it.
                                Also,
                                > I might run over it in the driveway. Frogs would get
                                eaten. Birds
                                > are my best bet.
                                >
                                > Do you know if rats eat slugs and snails? there is enough
                                of a rat
                                > population here in the ivy to support owls who barf the
                                results.

                                > Mary Christine

                                Reply-

                                Hi Im new here, but I can recommend that you manage a small flock of
                                Khaki Campbell ducks as they eat all slugs in the area and they lay
                                lots of eggs, so go get ducking!!!