Re: Slugs

  • Steve Sainsbury
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2007
      Hello everyone
      (this is Steve, previously of icculus2000@...)

      Slugs are tenacious and hardy, but they are limited in some ways which makes
      them easier to manage than some other "pests."

      One obvious way to deal with the problem is direct, mechanical disposal...
      ie - take a small, sharp knife and a flashlight out after dinner (maybe not
      too soon after dinner) and do it the old fashioned way. I realise that some
      of you will object to this method purely on moral grounds, but my point of
      view is that when we are trying to establish artificial ecosystems (gardens)
      in nature, we have to guard them until they are going strong..

      other ways to inflict death..
      beer traps, chickens, ducks, salt, salt water, flame (i actually have met
      someone who uses a bunsen burner..),

      I've got to go watch my daughter now, but I've got a good file called "50
      organic ways to get rid of slugs"
      - I'll send it in when I get back.

      peace

      Steve.

    • Adam Ormes Court
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2007
        These people claim that using copper tools prevents slugs..

        http://implementations.co.uk/main_pages/slugs_and_snails.html

        Interesting, but you should make them yourself - I think theirs are very
        expensive.

        ***
        A.
        --
        http://campaigntosavethehumans.blogspot.com/

        http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html
      • Michael Porter

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
            In a message dated 12/3/2007 4:05:24 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
            michaels4gardens@... writes:

            --using rings of copper pipe around the base of plants that are free
            standing will also deter snails and Slugs, but it only works if they must crawl over
            them to get to the plant, slugs and snails have a copper based system, [not
            iron] and they don't do well on copper, --Michael Porter

            gotta keep that copper tape clean and bright, once it tarnishes it
            doesn't work.

            Whaddya mean copper based? are these guys from Mars or something?

            Mary Christine

          • omoak108
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007
              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Ormes Court" <solar_wind@...> wrote:

              > These people claim that using copper tools prevents slugs..
              >
              > http://implementations.co.uk/main_pages/slugs_and_snails.html
              >
              > Interesting, but you should make them yourself - I think theirs are very
              > expensive.
              >
              > ***
              > A.
              > --
              > http://campaigntosavethehumans.blogspot.com/
              >
              > --
              > http://www.fastmail.fm - One of many happy users:
              > http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html

              Yes slugs can be a huge problem - nightmare! All the methods pushed by
              the organic gardening catalogue I've found just DO NOT work. The
              copper tape - total waste of money and effort and building up of false
              expectations with a totally priceless crop you **** *****'s!!!!!

              ...and ...so you have some 'blue' slug petals..so what? they still are
              totally usless more or less because they don't contain the nasty
              chemicals that kill and turn slugs to a revolting liquid and last for
              ages. (but will also kill anything that eats (enough) of them.)

              Grassland here in England is the slugs home - they are less keen on
              woodland including clearings, so maybe theres a pointer to a slug free
              reality. Otherwise big is beautiful when it comes to slug
              defence...but in bad season (like UK this summer just gone), the
              plague in some settings can only be stopped by large and regular doses
              of blue slug death.
            • omoak108
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 7, 2007
                --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "omoak108" <omoak108@...> wrote:

                > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Ormes Court" <solar_wind@> wrote:
                > >
                > > These people claim that using copper tools prevents slugs..
                > >
                > > http://implementations.co.uk/main_pages/slugs_and_snails.html
                > >
                > > Interesting, but you should make them yourself - I think theirs
                are very
                > > expensive.
                > >
                > > ***
                > > A.
                > > --
                > > http://campaigntosavethehumans.blogspot.com/
                > >
                > > --
                > > http://www.fastmail.fm - One of many happy users:
                > > http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html
                > >

                > Yes slugs can be a huge problem - nightmare! All the methods pushed by
                > the organic gardening catalogue I've found just DO NOT work. The
                > copper tape - total waste of money and effort and building up of false
                > expectations with a totally priceless crop you **** *****'s!!!!!
                >
                > ...and ...so you have some 'blue' slug petals..so what? they still are
                > totally usless more or less because they don't contain the nasty
                > chemicals that kill and turn slugs to a revolting liquid and last for
                > ages. (but will also kill anything that eats (enough) of them.)
                >
                > Grassland here in England is the slugs home - they are less keen on
                > woodland including clearings, so maybe theres a pointer to a slug free
                > reality. Otherwise big is beautiful when it comes to slug
                > defence...but in bad season (like UK this summer just gone), the
                > plague in some settings can only be stopped by large and regular doses
                > of blue slug death.

                It was so rainy and cloudy this last season that I found in some
                locations that growth was retarded by low light levels and excessive
                damp - which also lead to spider mite problems...but they can be dealt
                with easily by 2/3 soap washes. All that anti-drought mulching effort
                - and we have one of the wettest summers on record!

                Back to slugs: I don't like using blue slug death...so I will try and
                avoid the situations where the use is inevitable to save the crop.
                They seem to communicate with each other (slugs) and once they have a
                soft target, millions more converge. So anyway, I was thinking about
                forget garden woodland clearings and strong study plants, and the
                presence of toads and frogs...birds also...don't wanna see then dieing
                in pain. What is the point in making a natural alchemic heaven for the
                creatures of the Mother (including human beings) and then throwing a
                deadly poison around causing horror and pain?
              • Infowolf1@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 7, 2007
                  In a message dated 12/7/2007 6:41:38 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                  omoak108@... writes:

                  What is the point in making a natural alchemic heaven for the
                  creatures of the Mother (including human beings) and then throwing a
                  deadly poison around causing horror and pain?

                  I am Christian and with a change of name of originator of
                  the creatures, I would say the same thing, why make a heaven
                  for these things YHVH made, and then poison them with
                  something nasty? They have feelings too.

                  I have noticed that they love my bear's britches, maybe these
                  can be a substitute home for them, along with some predators
                  if they leave or when the giant leaves are less. The leaves are
                  also good for the throat and stomach.

                  Mary Christine

                • Pat Meadows
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 7, 2007
                    On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 11:03:15 -0000, you wrote:

                    >Back to slugs: I don't like using blue slug death...so I will try and
                    >avoid the situations where the use is inevitable to save the crop.
                    >They seem to communicate with each other (slugs) and once they have a
                    >soft target, millions more converge. So anyway, I was thinking about
                    >forget garden woodland clearings and strong study plants, and the
                    >presence of toads and frogs...birds also...don't wanna see then dieing
                    >in pain. What is the point in making a natural alchemic heaven for the
                    >creatures of the Mother (including human beings) and then throwing a
                    >deadly poison around causing horror and pain?

                    I don't understand this.

                    Do you not have the iron phosphate-based slug bait in your country? It
                    works and is harmless to birds and animals. Iron-phosphate is a natural
                    substance, found in the soil anyway.

                    This is what I'm talking about; it is harmless to birds and wildlife:

                    http://www.pestproducts.com/sluggo.htm

                    Pat
                    -- Northern Pennsylvania

                    Good planets are hard to find; let's take care of
                    the one we have.
                  • Infowolf1@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 7, 2007
                      It sounds to me sluggo clogs their guts and they die of
                      blockage and starvation. I don't know if that's much
                      better.

                      Just catch them all, and feed them to something. Or
                      let them fall into beer and die happy.

                      Mary Christine

                    • Pat Meadows
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 7, 2007
                        On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 11:58:42 EST, you wrote:

                        >It sounds to me sluggo clogs their guts and they die of
                        >blockage and starvation. I don't know if that's much
                        >better.

                        What's better about it is that it does not harm birds and other wildlife.

                        I'm not really concerned about the welfare of the slugs (sad but true) - my
                        garden comes first. On the other hand, if they don't eat my plants I leave
                        them alone.

                        >Just catch them all, and feed them to something. Or
                        >let them fall into beer and die happy.

                        I've tried beer and found it really ineffective.