Re: Re: [pfaf] my HUUUUGE problem with S L U G S. Help!!!

  • Travis Philp
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
      Slugs eh? I had a problem with slugs out in BC. We were losing whole brassica and squash sections of our two acre garden to slug damage.We had huge success with using mock beer traps. It was cheap, simple, highly effective, and you don't need to use real beer.

      Here's a recipe I found online at http://www.slugsandsalal.com/bookrevu/slugguide.html I have not used this exact recipe so I cannot vouch for its specific effectiveness but as long as you get that beer smell the slugs will make an exodus to your traps.

      According to Field Guide to the Slug some of the best slug traps using beer are made from plastic margarine tubs or sour cream type containers, "the depth of which makes it harder for satiated slugs to escape."

      Cut a few one-inch square or triangular doors into the container sides and use the lid to deflect rain and prevent dilution of the beer. Position the holes just below the container rim and dig the container into the soil, leaving the cut holes at or just slightly above soil level.

      It's the scent of malt and yeast that attracts the voracious creatures. Adding a dash of baker's yeast makes a beer trap more effective. For a less expensive effective substitute for the beer, a mixture of yeast, flour and water can be used. Field Guide to the Slug gives this recipe: "In lieu of beer, an equally potent attractant can be concocted from two tablespoons of flour, one-half teaspoon of brewer's yeast, and one teaspoon of sugar mixed in two cups of warm water."

      If your recipe doesn't work it may be too watery of a mixture. I also suspect humidity plays a part. Let me know how it goes.
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
        In a message dated 12/1/2007 5:40:04 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        pat@... writes:

        Also, I am told that ducks are wonderful for slugs; they eat them all.

        I understand moles eat snails and slugs too

      • Pat Meadows
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
          On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 09:38:02 EST, you wrote:

          >In a message dated 12/1/2007 5:40:04 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
          >pat@... writes:
          >
          >Also, I am told that ducks are wonderful for slugs; they eat them all.
          >

          > do they eat snails too?

          I don't have personal experience with them, but I have read that they do.
          They also lay eggs. :) Edible eggs.

          But they quack and maybe annoy neighbors..... there's one type of duck
          which sort of hisses rather than quacking, but I cannot remember its name.

          Pat
          -- Northern Pennsylvania

          Good planets are hard to find; let's take care of
          the one we have.
        • Traveler in Thyme
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
            Slugs are not a "problem" they are a symptom of the real problem, which is
            too much moisture and too much raw, rotting vegetation in your soil. Keep
            things a bit drier, compost your material more completely before mulching,
            and get some sun down there, and the slugs will go away.............

            ---Marcia Cash
            Traveler in Thyme
            http://www.travelerinthyme.com

          • Pat Meadows
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
              On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 10:13:10 -0600, you wrote:

              >Slugs are not a "problem" they are a symptom of the real problem, which is
              >too much moisture and too much raw, rotting vegetation in your soil. Keep
              >things a bit drier, compost your material more completely before mulching,
              >and get some sun down there, and the slugs will go away.............

              This is not always true. Also, it's difficult to keep things drier in a
              rainy place, such as where we live. Some springs, we have weeks and weeks
              on end of rain. (Thankfully, not every spring, but some springs we do.)

              I've had slugs in containers that were sitting on a paved (cement) path. No
              mulch. For that matter, no rotting vegetation either: I used all-purpose
              soilless mix in those particular containers. Still lots of slugs.

              Conditions differ from place to place - especially in gardening.

              Pat

              -- Northern Pennsylvania

              Good planets are hard to find; let's take care of
              the one we have.
            • Clarke Editing Services
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                .. .. there's one type of duck

                > which sort of hisses rather than quacking, but I cannot remember its name.

                That would be the Muscovy -- a South American tree waterfowl. Very easy
                to keep. Doesn't need a pond either, just a little pool of water. Even
                without clipping their wings they tend to stay around your house.
              • Infowolf1@aol.com
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                  In a message dated 12/1/2007 5:45:22 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, ces@...
                  writes:

                  That would be the Muscovy -- a South American tree waterfowl. Very easy
                  to keep. Doesn't need a pond either, just a little pool of water. Even
                  without clipping their wings they tend to stay around your house.

                  Where can I get them? Are they big enough cats would feel inhibited
                  about attacking them?

                • Griselda Mussett
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                    Ducks also eat your precious plants, or walk on them, and they leave
                    their slippery and smelly mess around too, so for a small garden (in my
                    opinion) they would be as much of a menace as slugs. We had them at my
                    parents' smallholding when I was a kid and I agree they like staying
                    round the house. So it's very easy to walk the mess inside on your own
                    shoes. It would be sad to see them penned up all the time.

                    On 1 Dec 2007, at 18:17, Clarke Editing Services wrote:

                    > .. .. there's one type of duck
                    > >
                    > > which sort of hisses rather than quacking, but I cannot remember
                    > its name.
                    > >

                    > That would be the Muscovy -- a South American tree waterfowl. Very
                    > easy
                    > to keep. Doesn't need a pond either, just a little pool of water. Even
                    > without clipping their wings they tend to stay around your house.

                  • Niels Corfield
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                      It will have to be a multi-pronged assault unfortunately. Like plugging
                      holes in a leaky dam with your fingers.
                      That said some precautions as well as preparations I think can give success.

                      From experience with a grower near Hebdon Bridge, near Halifax, in the
                      Yorkshire Pennines, where climate is something comparable, to say the
                      least, much success has been gained by rearing plants in a nursery till
                      quite large, on tables. We have extended this model and started to
                      include shelving units as well as tables. And you can take further
                      action by placing the legs of these tables in deep troughs of water
                      and/or wrapping copper wire around the legs. Though be sure to keep the
                      grass down around shelves especially as it can easily grow above above
                      these first-line defences. We raised much of our brassica crop into 2l
                      pots before planting-out and they have survived into maturity (though
                      are still affected by slugs).
                      Both in the nursery and in your plantings there is no substitute for
                      healthy, vigorous plants. With well supplied fertile planting media the
                      final objective, whether in your soil in containers in the nursery. I
                      would recommend the widespread application of rock dust,
                      http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60_165_166&products_id=2546.
                      It will be more economic to apply this product to growing media/composts
                      in the nursery than in your beds. Though a one time high-level dose of
                      rock dust is worthwhile, and if you operate a no-dig system, with
                      widespread use of deep-rooting companion/fertility plants, you should
                      never have to make again. Bearing in-mind though that the object is
                      raise healthy plants (in a healthy soil) that well disposed to resist
                      predation (by slugs or whatever). I remember well a garden I visited in
                      Asturias, Spain, a very maritime, mountainous region with much rain and
                      clay. The example that sticks in the mind is of one particularly mangy
                      looking brassica bed, in dry panned earth. However what was most
                      interesting about this bed was that only one of these plants was badly
                      effected by slug attacks. So I like to think of these beasts as a little
                      more discerning than perhaps they are painted.
                      In addition to this there are nursery container technologies that
                      promote healthy plants by encouraging root development and virtually
                      eliminating the issue of circling roots. One brand is called
                      Rootrainers, they are expensive but do represent a real advantage in the
                      critical early months as well furnishing you with sturdy plants ready
                      for the onslaught.
                      There is always something going-on at the microscopic level that we are
                      seldom sensitive to. With this in mind, I'd like to suggest some other
                      techniques for building soil life, or "a healthy Soil Foodweb". Which
                      some feel now, is the key to healthy plant systems. Much more than the
                      more widely accepted soil chemistry model. That minerals and other plant
                      "foods", and their availability, is governed much more by soil
                      microbiology. So nurturing soil micro-organisms (MOs) (and culturing
                      your own) is one route to improving soil and plant health.
                      I offer two complementary methods to realise this aim, without a degree
                      in biology and simple materials:
                      _Effective Micro-organisms (EM)_:
                      -laboratory-isolated and cultured complementary group of MOs easily
                      multiplied and prepared for garden application at home
                      -also very effective at processing pure kitchen waste (cooked food,
                      meat, fish the lot)
                      -a renewed interest in ferments, as an analogy for beneficial soil
                      processes -NB no "bad smells" in the compost or in the soil.
                      http://del.icio.us/entrailer/EM
                      http://www.livingsoil.co.uk/learning/whatis.html
                      _Actively Aerated Compost Teas_ ("Biobrews")
                      -home-prepared soil-plant "feeds"
                      -can be applied to leaves and soil
                      Links: http://del.icio.us/entrailer/BioBrew
                      Books: /"Teaming with Microbes" /by Jeff Lowenfels
                      Yahoo group: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/compost_tea/

                      The other much overlooked and vitally important soil process is that of
                      mycorrhizal fungi and their beneficial associations with plants. Their
                      absence is almost guaranteed in a clean cultivated environment, yet they
                      improve plant vigour significantly by extending root run, as much as
                      100x; allowing further and more efficient gathering of nutrients and
                      water by the plant, and in some cases by actually physically protecting
                      the plant roots from attack, in this case by "snaring" parasitic
                      nematodes while they forage in the root zone, looking to invade the
                      roots thus weakening the plant. This phenomenon can apparently be seen
                      in /Private Life of Plants/ BBC documentary series. Needless to say the
                      action of these organisms will serve to weaken a plant making it more
                      susceptible to slug damage.
                      You can either make your own:
                      http://www.sunseed.org.uk/downloads.asp?sid=Make%20your%20own%20Mycorrhizal
                      http://www.sunseed.org.uk/downloads.asp?sid=Information%20Leaflets&id=106&dd=otherUploadeddocs/MycorrizhaMP08(E)_23.pdf
                      http://www.sunseed.org.uk/downloads.asp?sid=Information%20Leaflets
                      Or buy a product e.g.:
                      http://www.fire1076.co.uk/rootgrowhome.php
                      and then make your own.
                      But remember they can't survive without living host plants (symbiosis).
                      Links: http://del.icio.us/entrailer/mycorhizal

                      The bottom-line here is that balanced ecosystems are not prone to the
                      kind of explosive or destructive nature of slugs etc. The above measures
                      promote health and balance in the garden.

                      As for other techniques aimed directly at slugs: I have had good results
                      with nematodes ("Nemaslug"). The main draw-back is the nematodes don't
                      keep once the packet is open. One pack does 100 square metres. So my
                      advice is to have enough plants to plant the whole area in one go. Or at
                      least to have 100m2 worth of beds prepared for seeding. We had good
                      success with direct seeding after nematode application also.
                      I had satisfactory results with the organic slug pellets "Advanced Slug
                      Killer". Best price B&Q. However they do end-up being an expensive
                      solution as you will have to re-apply. They also seem not to be suitable
                      for use with containers in the nursery, especially in the greenhouse, as
                      they seem to act as a vector for fungi which seem to proliferate off
                      them and all around the young seedlings, not good.
                      Another option is copper tools. I have no experience of this directly
                      but there seems some interest in these. They are expensive but from what
                      I have seen, well-made.
                      http://www.implementations.co.uk/
                      The beer traps info provided by a previous respondent is useful. To this
                      I would add, though perhaps implied earlier, that is very important to
                      raise the level of the entrance holes above the soil. This will stop
                      other creatures (beetle especially) from being drowned also. Also
                      consider making the holes quite small, as I found a shrew in one of my
                      traps last year.

                      All these ideas, unfortunately, equate to more work and more learning.
                      You might be lucky, one of these solutions used judiciously may give
                      good results. Perhaps Nemaslug is the best candidate, but again you have
                      to have things in place to make best use of its potential.

                      Hope this helps.

                      All the best,
                      Niels

                      My Bookmarks:
                      http://del.icio.us/entrailer

                      My Pics and Projects:
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/nielscorfield/
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/mudguard

                      Groups I Contribute to:

                    • Light2uToo@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                        "Travis Philp" _trphilp@... _
                        (mailto:trphilp@...?Subject= Re:%20my%20HUUUUGE%20problem%20with%20S%20L%20U%20G%20S.%20Help!!!) wrote:

                        << Cut a few one-inch square or triangular doors into the container sides
                        and use the lid to deflect rain and prevent dilution of the beer. Position the
                        holes just below the container rim and dig the container into the soil,
                        leaving the cut holes at or just slightly above soil level. >>

                        That was so well-explained. Thank you! We have a lot of trouble with slugs
                        around here, which is southwestern Oklahoma. The odd thing is that it can get
                        so, so hot and dry, especially in the summers, and yet we'll have problems
                        with slugs. I only use plants that are fairly drought resistant, because we
                        have to ration water sometimes. And still, the slugs will be a problem. They
                        must be little creatures.

                        I think the idea of killing them with beer is a really good one, even mock
                        beer. Somehow it seems more humane than most other ways I've heard of.
                        Probably the most humane way would be to quickly smash them with a shoe or
                        something, but I can't deal with those sluggy guts. Bleecchhh.

                        Lena

                        _Click to Donate - Free donations to your favorite causes! _
                        (http://www.care2.com/click2donate/)

                      • ingrid glass
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                          Hi!

                          I visited a wildlife friendly garden last year, run by Marc Carlton & his partner in SE London, and I remember him saying they didn't have a problem with slugs/snails eating their veg because they attracted sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a balanced ecosystem. It had taken many years to achieve this - seems like a sustainable (permaculture) way to approach the problem to me, tho' more of a long term approach I guess. His website is : http://www.foxleas.com/

                          Ingrid

                          ________________________________

                          To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                          From: juliano8@...
                          Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 08:49:35 +0000
                          Subject: [pfaf] my HUUUUGE problem with S L U G S. Help!!!

                          HI,

                          This is my very first post here.

                          I am TRYING to get as much inspiration as possible to try and create a
                          permaculture garden where I live.
                          It is a small garden and quite odd. But before I go off on a tangent, in
                          order for me to even BEGIN the design--as it were--i need to know what
                          to do about the slug problem we have here in Northwest UK, or at least I have.
                          Manchester---well hwere I am anyway.

                          I cannot tell you the amount of plants we have bought--not
                          vegetables--that have simply become slug food. I have kept the garden
                          organic, but in doing so kind of gave in to the slug problem by just
                          keeping the plants they dont seem to eat!

                          But...if I want to create an edible garden, I really need help with this
                          first(?) MAJOR problem.

                          I bought Michael Guerra's book Edible Container Garden, and before
                          emailing you, I tried to find if he has a contact address (?) but cannot
                          find one. because this is a question I would ask him.

                          So I am looking for an idea or _IDEAS_ how to tackle this problem of slugs.

                          Celeb spotting – Play CelebMashup and win cool prizes
                          https://www.celebmashup.com
                        • Allmende Verden
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                            Hi everybody,
                            here in Northgermany we get growing problems with slugs as the winters
                            are getting warmer and fewer of the eggs are destroyed by frosts. So
                            another method is to keep the soil without mulch over winter (what is
                            bad for both, slugs and soil).

                            In our project we`re trying to use only materials and technics that,
                            at least in theory, can be made availible by smal groups of people
                            under any economical circumstances.
                            We`re using slug-fences. The overal principle of these can be seen here
                            http://www.slugfence.com/slug_info/fence_info/hauptteil_fence_info.html

                            It is an inteligence-barrier. To come over it the slug would have to
                            climb in the opposite direction it wants to go.
                            We built a fence from regional oak-wood which can be seen on the
                            bottom of http://davyd.de/allmende/fotos3.html

                            A good lute might be birch bark tar.

                            still you`ll have the slugs and their eggs inside the fenced area and
                            it`ll be ongoing reinfected by mulch or something. For these problems
                            we found collecting of the slugs successful.
                            for that we`re baiting them with selected rests from the kitchen:
                            brassica, fruit, avocado, onion... (experiment what yours like best!).
                            The best time for collecting is in the dark, when dew has fallen.
                            Worse is in rain and daylight. In the sunlight you won`t find any.
                            Best of all they like the cut and dead bodies of other slugs, so a
                            second patrol over the area will be successful.
                            greetings from Klaus

                            Artilleriestr. 6
                            D-27283 Verden
                            Tel (+49) 4231- 90 50 30
                            Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
                            http://davyd.de/allmende
                          • Travis Philp
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                              They themselves are not a problem but I had a problem with them. They produce a problem for me when they wipe out whole beds of plants.

                              Too much moisture is impossible to avoid in the Frasier Valley except for freakishly dry seasons which are rare. We used only well rotted compost so that wasn't a factor...As for getting "some sun down there", I'm not sure what else I can do. The sun doesn't take my requests, and believe me I've asked for it. When slugs are in small numbers I let them do their thing but in a garden that is only two years old their population is too great. We knocked their population back and then once they stopped decimating our crops we left them alone. I think that taking 2 acres and leaving with them with about 78 isn't asking too much.

                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                                You're welcome. I don't know if I mentioned the spacing of the traps. I cant say what is optimal but I put them every 15 feet or so.

                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                                  In a message dated 12/3/2007 6:10:56 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                  ingrid_glass@... writes:

                                  sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a balanced
                                  ecosystem.

                                  I would love to have a cute little hedgehog, but they are illegal
                                  in California and my cats might get hurt pouncing on it. Also,
                                  I might run over it in the driveway. Frogs would get eaten. Birds
                                  are my best bet.

                                  Do you know if rats eat slugs and snails? there is enough of a rat
                                  population here in the ivy to support owls who barf the results.

                                  Mary Christine

                                • Allmende Verden
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 4, 2007
                                    Hi!
                                    We do not have good experiences in using beer traps. The beer doesn't
                                    only attrack the slugs you've got in your garden, it also attracks
                                    every slug in the neighbourhood. So you are always going on catching
                                    them, while the next ones are arriving.
                                    The other thing I did not like was that not only slugs got drowned in
                                    the beer, but also flys, worms, beetles, and other small animals.
                                    And that happened although the hole of the traps was above soil level.

                                    Greets from northern Germany,
                                    Alex

                                    Zitat von Light2uToo@...:

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Dec 4, 2007
                                      I´d support what Alex says. Before we startet baiting/collecting we
                                      used beertraps for years in a way that they where always at the outer
                                      boarders of the bed (hoping to catch the slugs coming from outside),
                                      though always slugs were caught in control-traps in the center. And in
                                      the end maybe we breeded beer-resistant slugs: this year when the
                                      population aroused enormous, the number of slugs in the traps didn´t.
                                      greets from Klaus

                                      Artilleriestr. 6
                                      D-27283 Verden
                                      Tel (+49) 4231- 90 50 30
                                      Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
                                      http://davyd.de/allmende
                                    • veronica giselle lescano
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Dec 4, 2007
                                        Hi,
                                        If releasing the slug´s natural predator do not work, perhaps you can try with trap crops ( these are plants which are known to be attractive to the pest and which are used to lure the pest away from the actual crop), or intercropping (two crops are grown together, either intimately within the same row or in adjacent rows, when onions and carrots are grown together , the strong smell of the onions masks that of the carrots which are thus given protection from the carrot rrot fly, for example, some plants are known to be repellent to some invertebrates pests. Here in South America, as the soil is very humid, we usually use some of these techniques to protect crops from being damage by invertebrates,
                                        Greetings
                                        Veronica

                                        ingrid_glass@... writes:

                                        sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a balanced
                                        ecosystem.

                                        I would love to have a cute little hedgehog, but they are illegal
                                        in California and my cats might get hurt pouncing on it. Also,
                                        I might run over it in the driveway. Frogs would get eaten. Birds
                                        are my best bet.

                                        Do you know if rats eat slugs and snails? there is enough of a rat
                                        population here in the ivy to support owls who barf the results.

                                        Mary Christine

                                      • vic_doyle
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jan 11, 2008
                                          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Infowolf1@... wrote:

                                          > In a message dated 12/3/2007 6:10:56 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                          > ingrid_glass@... writes:
                                          >
                                          > sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a
                                          balanced
                                          > ecosystem.
                                          >

                                          > I would love to have a cute little hedgehog, but they are
                                          illegal
                                          > in California and my cats might get hurt pouncing on it.
                                          Also,
                                          > I might run over it in the driveway. Frogs would get
                                          eaten. Birds
                                          > are my best bet.
                                          >
                                          > Do you know if rats eat slugs and snails? there is enough
                                          of a rat
                                          > population here in the ivy to support owls who barf the
                                          results.

                                          > Mary Christine

                                          Reply-

                                          Hi Im new here, but I can recommend that you manage a small flock of
                                          Khaki Campbell ducks as they eat all slugs in the area and they lay
                                          lots of eggs, so go get ducking!!!