Re: Arracacha -- Arracacia xanthorrhiza?

  • ericajung
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2007
      Thanks, Maikito...
      For what I've read so far the season would be long, a full year (with
      a new variety ripening at 7 months). Then again, the pictures I've
      seen of ripe tubers are much fatter than the ones I would buy at
      stores in Sao Paulo -- those were tender roots roughly the size of
      carrots or smaller.

      Best,

      Erica.

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, michael lasky <megamalito@...> wrote:

      > Erica,
      >
      > In regards to your querie re. aracacha. When I lived in the Yungas
      valleys of Bolivia we ate it all the time. I grew over a wide range,
      from the chilly highland valley above 10000 feet above sea level t the
      steamy lowland below 5000 feet. It was very easy to cultivate,
      digging wholes with a pick axe. It was often baked in large wholes,
      covered with heated rocks and banana leaves. One place i often ate
      it was Inqusivi (Inquisivi.com) and there there is a large quantiy of
      peaches grwon, so I think it could do well up north. As well as I
      recall, we'd plant it in Oct.and harvest in Feb./March.

      > Sincerely, "Maikito" Michael Lasky
      >

      > To: pfaf@...: ericajung@...: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:22:57 +0000Subject:
      [pfaf] Arracacha -- Arracacia xanthorrhiza?

      > Does anybody have any experience with this Andean root? I live in
      San Francisco but am from Sao Paulo in Brazil where it is apopular
      vegetable -- and one of my favorite -- called mandioquinha orbatata
      baroa over there.Apparently the cuttings need short days to root out
      though, so Iwonder how difficult propagation would be in northern
      latitudes.Thanks,Erica.