Permaculture garden for RHS Show

  • eatyourflowers
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 20, 2007
      Hi – The Edible Landscaping team are designing a garden for the RHS
      show in Cardiff April 18 - 20. It is a permaculture garden and will be
      based on the sorts of things you can eat in April. We are looking for
      lots of plants! If people could either loan or give us plants (the
      garden is currently self-financed although we are seeking sponsorship)
      we would be v. grateful. Cuttings are no good because the plants need
      to be reasonably big by April 18th. Plants would need to be dug up
      soon and put into containers so they could recover and be happy, good
      looking and productive in their containers by April 18 -20. We would
      prefer to have them sooner rather than later so we could take on the
      responsibility of getting them show standard. (this is one of the
      drawbacks of shows – everything needs to be perfect). Everything will
      remain in containers - nothing is planted into the ground.

      Our species list currently includes:
      Elaeagnus x ebbingei (we really need one which is fruiting)
      Any other fruiting Elaeagnus as second choice and / or as well as ebbingei
      Berberis buxifolia (preferably not 'Nana')
      Berberis Darwinii
      Mahonia Aquifolium
      Mahonia Repens
      Will consider other Mahonia
      Amelanchier lamarckii
      Amelanchier x grandiflora
      Gaultheria mucronata `Mulberry Wine'
      Will consider other Gaultheria which produce nice fruit
      Humulus lupulus `Aureus'
      Lindera benzoin
      Holboellia coriacea
      Hardenbergia violacea
      Passiflora edulis
      Akebia quinata
      Akebia x pentaphylla

      We are also compiling a list of herbaceous plants:
      Sweet violet
      Dog Violet
      Allium unifolium
      Allium triquetrum
      Wild garlic
      Allium christophii
      Allium Giganteum
      Allium paradoxum 'normale'
      Primroses
      Cowslips
      Muscari neglectum
      Cardamine pratensis
      Ornithogalum nutans
      Ornithogalum umbellatum
      Oxalis acetosella

      We are happy to consider other suggestions. Please reply to
      ms@... not yahoo as then we don't have to keep
      looking through to see if anyone has replied. Thanks very much for any
      help you can offer.
    • Infowolf1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 21, 2007
        In a message dated 10/20/2007 9:36:49 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        eatyourflowers@... writes:

        Primroses
        Cowslips

        I didn't know these were edible. Primrose is listed as toxic to
        cats, and so are daylily, but daylily is the only lily a human
        can eat.