riparian species - help me

  • | ®¡†ä sälgädö |
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 19, 2007
      Hi
      I'm working at a project (Stream/Watershed Projects) and i'm doing a
      research on riparian species along my study area.
      I found this nearby the river. It's a small shrub and has red branches.
      Does anyone knows what is this?

      Thanks

    • Andru J. Johnson
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 20, 2007

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 20, 2007
          The shrub appears near a river and my project work is in northen Portugal

          The photo is here

          By: arq_rita80 <http://profiles.yahoo.com/arq_rita80>
          thanks

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 20, 2007
            Small shrubs along riversides with red branches could at least be different

            Salix species and
            "Red osier" , Cornus alba sibirica ....

            Geir Flatab�

            2007/10/20, | (R)��� s�lg�d� | <rcatita@...>:

            > Hi
            > I'm working at a project (Stream/Watershed Projects) and i'm doing a
            > research on riparian species along my study area.
            > I found this nearby the river. It's a small shrub and has red branches.
            > Does anyone knows what is this?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > --

          • Pat Meadows
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 20, 2007
              On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 19:28:53 +0100, you wrote:

              >The shrub appears near a river and my project work is in northen Portugal
              >
              > The photo is here

              It looks like poke to me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokeweed

              Note this plant is NOT edible, with the possible exception of the very
              young leaves in spring. Better not to eat it at all, probably.

              Pat
              -- northern Pennsylvania
            • | ®¡†ä sälgädö |
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 20, 2007
                Thank's Pat, that's it.
                Rita

                On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 19:28:53 +0100, you wrote:

                >The shrub appears near a river and my project work is in northen Portugal
                >
                > The photo is here

                It looks like poke to me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokeweed

                Note this plant is NOT edible, with the possible exception of the very
                young leaves in spring. Better not to eat it at all, probably.

                Pat
                -- northern Pennsylvania

              • Dan Culbertson
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 20, 2007
                  I eat poke every spring. You can eat the shoots and leaves up to about a
                  foot long - sort of like spring asparagus. Folks say you have to boil it in
                  three changes of water but I just boil it once and I haven't died yet. As
                  the leaves get older they become tough and toxic but in spring they are
                  quite tasty. Once the stem gets reddish I consider it poisonous. The
                  roots are always toxic and the berries as well. But spring green shoots and
                  young tender leaves are not to be missed! Some folks even grow it
                  commercially up north for spring market sales- down here in the south it
                  grows wild and happy.

                  Dan

                  > It looks like poke to me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokeweed
                  >
                  > Note this plant is NOT edible, with the possible exception of the very
                  > young leaves in spring. Better not to eat it at all, probably.
                  >
                  > Pat
                • Pat Meadows
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 21, 2007
                    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 15:40:33 -0400, you wrote:

                    >On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 19:28:53 +0100, you wrote:
                    >
                    >>The shrub appears near a river and my project work is in northen Portugal
                    >>
                    >> The photo is here

                    >It looks like poke to me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokeweed
                    >
                    >Note this plant is NOT edible, with the possible exception of the very
                    >young leaves in spring. Better not to eat it at all, probably.

                    I want to correct this; although Wikipedia says 'young leaves' it is NOT
                    the young *leaves* that are eaten. It's the very young *shoots* that are
                    eaten, and only when they are less than about 6 inches tall.

                    http://tinyurl.com/2qwvvn

                    The rest of the plant is poisonous, as are the shoots when they are larger
                    than that.

                    Personally, I wouldn't eat it at all.

                    Pat
                    -- northern Pennsylvania
                  • Michael Porter
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 21, 2007
                      I agree with Dan, --I eat it also --it is very good, --Michael

                      Dan Culbertson <danculb@...> wrote: I eat poke every spring. You can eat the shoots and leaves up to about a