Re: [pfaf] edible plants

  • Rick van Rein
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 14, 2007
      Hello Joseph Kuno,

      > Can humans eat green leaves from fruit trees and even grasses without
      > cooking?

      You should also consider weeds. Some are well-known to taste good,
      such as dandelion leaves before the flower comes up, stinging nettle
      after treatment such as cooking or freezing to remove the sting, and
      chickweed as a raw salad-substitute. You could also look into
      non-standard leaves like those of the root crop Scorzonera hispanica.
      I haven't tried the latter yet, but it is said to taste mild, like
      plain lettuce. And if you leave the root it grows as a perennial.
      I also like the leaves of Fagopyrum dibotrys, or perennial buckwheat.

      > Can we dry or process these leaves to preserve them for later use,
      > say, during winter?

      During winter you could use other leaves, such as Campanula spp.
      This is an article about winter salads:

      http://pfaf.org/leaflets/winsalad.php

      > Where can we find proff that we can eat leaves from fruit trees?

      Compare a number of reliable sources; try Richard Maybe's Food for Free,
      try Plants For A Future and similar books. It's up to you how much
      printed evidence you need before going for it. I find that PFAF is
      often quite good: http://www.pfaf.org/

      Bon apetit :)
      -Rick
    • Michael Porter
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 14, 2007
        I eat Chaya [my variety] and Moringa raw, -and Peach leaves to help with parasites, --Michael Porter

        Rick van Rein <rick@...> wrote: Hello Joseph Kuno,

        > Can humans eat green leaves from fruit trees and even grasses without
        > cooking?

        You should also consider weeds. Some are well-known to taste good,
        such as dandelion leaves before the flower comes up, stinging nettle
        after treatment such as cooking or freezing to remove the sting, and
        chickweed as a raw salad-substitute. You could also look into
        non-standard leaves like those of the root crop Scorzonera hispanica.
        I haven't tried the latter yet, but it is said to taste mild, like
        plain lettuce. And if you leave the root it grows as a perennial.
        I also like the leaves of Fagopyrum dibotrys, or perennial buckwheat.

        > Can we dry or process these leaves to preserve them for later use,
        > say, during winter?

        During winter you could use other leaves, such as Campanula spp.
        This is an article about winter salads:

        http://pfaf.org/leaflets/winsalad.php

        > Where can we find proff that we can eat leaves from fruit trees?

        Compare a number of reliable sources; try Richard Maybe's Food for Free,
        try Plants For A Future and similar books. It's up to you how much
        printed evidence you need before going for it. I find that PFAF is
        often quite good: http://www.pfaf.org/

        Bon apetit :)
        -Rick

      • joseph kuno
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 16, 2007
          Thank you very very much for your unformation.

          Michael Porter <michaels4gardens@...> wrote: I eat Chaya [my variety] and Moringa raw, -and Peach leaves to help with parasites, --Michael Porter

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 16, 2007
            Wow!

            > Michael Porter <michaels4gardens@...> wrote:
            > I eat Chaya [my variety] and Moringa raw [...]

            Be careful with that. If you digest Chaya, you're supposed to release
            HCN in your intestines, which is poissonous. The cells of Chaya must be
            broken before consumption, so the HCN forms and evaporates in the air.

            One way of breaking the cells is cooking, another way is grinding the
            leaves and drying them.

            Source:
            http://echotech.org/technical/az/aztext/azch2veg.htm#Chay

            If your variety of Chaya has no such problems, let ECHO know!
            Does your variety lack the stinging underside?

            Cheers,

            Rick van Rein
          • Mat Coward
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 16, 2007
              Hello - can anyone tell me how to tell when the fruits of Chaenomeles japonica are ready for harvest?
              Thanks,
              Mat (in Somerset, UK)

            • Dan Culbertson
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 16, 2007
                If you *know* a leaf type is not toxic (check the PFAF database) but it is
                too tough or bitter to eat raw try this:
                Collect a bunch of leaves from a bunch of plants, chop them up a bit, and
                boil them slowly for about a half hour in a crock pot or rice cooker. If you
                have any vegetable parings around from making salads (onion skins, celery
                tops, carrot peels, etc.) add them too. Strain off the boiling water and
                use it as a soup base. Can be frozen in an ice cube tray for latter use or,
                possibly, boiled down into a thick base or powder to save for winter (I
                haven't tried that). If you taste the leaves in the field and they are
                really bitter you might want to boil them separately and see how they taste
                boiled before dumping them in the mix. Make sure they are edible first (the
                PFAF database or any good field guide for edible plants).

                Yesterday I made a nice soup base out of the following leaves and stems and
                such: wild Florida Betony leaves, wild celery stems and leaves (going to
                seed), garden strawberry leaves, wild blackberry leaves, papaya tree leaves,
                avocado tree leaves, squash vine leaves, bean vine leaves, wild grape vine
                leaves, canna plant leaves, wild Bidens alba (Spanish Needle) leaves,
                cockscomb flower (for color), pine needles (green), lemon grass leaves,
                kaffir lime tree leaves, sweet potato leaves, and a handful of lawn grass
                (and probably a few more things I can't remember). Only used a little of
                each one and the overall flavor was generic green and slightly lemony (from
                the lemon grass and lime leaves). With a bit of vegan "no-beef" base and
                garlic along with barley and dried veggies added it was a good soup today.
                Made the dried veggie soup taste much fresher than normal and I suspect it
                had more vitamins and other good stuff. Hopefully none of those things are
                going to kill me - but they are listed as "edible" one place or another.

                Of course that all isn't "without cooking" but some of those things would
                take a goat's gut to digest raw. Or a shredder/grinder and a compost heap.
                Might have been able to dry them and powder them and turn them into munchie
                kibbles - but cooking them is probably much more tasty. Anyhow, I agree
                with the person who said we don't eat enough leaves. Eat more greens! They
                won't kill you (usually).

                Dan