RE: [pfaf] amaranthus seeds

  • michael lasky
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 2007
      kleman,

      in bolivia there are several grains which are similar to amaranth in appearance, including quinoa and canllahua(sp?). the later one is usually toasted lightly and ground and mixed with warm water or milk and if desired, sugar. it is highly nutritious and delicious with a chocolate like flavor. the leaves are often eaten in salads or cooked and added to soups. i think toasting and grinding is the way to go.

      maikito

      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.comFrom: dva_wolk@...: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 23:30:56 +0200Subject: [pfaf] amaranthus seeds

      Hi, all!I have a few questions about amarnthus.I bought seeds of amaranthus plant and (almost) none started for a wholeweek. I have heard that the seeds are tought and it may be half of a centuryto sprout them. They do sprout when they are altered (buldozers, etc) so iwas thinking would it be a good idea just to throw the seeds on the groundand then beat the earth with a showel just to wound some seeds?! or is therea better way to do it, such as freezing the seeds or something simmilar?Since my amaranthus didn't grow much, i collected wild amaranthus seeds. Butit seems to me that they aren't palatable raw - to tough shell. So what isthe best way to prepare them? Cooking, baking, steaming, can i put them inbread? Grinding? I have heard that maiyas used amaranthus - how did theyprepare them?Anyone knows some good inet resources about amaranthus?Anyone heard about "extruding" amaranthus? I hope it is the right word - letme explain it. I am sure the majority of you knows about mikado chocolate.There is rice in it and it is extruded. So, anyone knows anything ofextruding amaranthus?I very look forward to your answers/hints.Best Regards,Klemen[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

    • Clinton McDowell
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2007
        Toast the seeds ...they ¨pop¨ open turning white(er,off white) here in Mexico it becomes a weed ..there is NO problem for them sprouting

        `round here they make something called ¨alegria¨...HAPPINESS... using honey to make it stick toigether...I´ve seen it done with chocolate too ..w/ vanilla seasoning uuuuummmmmm!!!!
        mix the two, or try nuts too, ingredients put in a mold into oven (low heat) & voila ...H A P P I N E S S....raisins work pumpkin seeds...etc

        Klemen <dva_wolk@...> escribió:
[...]

      • erez_00
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 13, 2007
          Hi Klemen,
          After reading your letter below I took commercial packaged-to-eat
          Amaranth seeds, sowed them on regular potting soil and watered them
          every other day. Within less than a week I have very many little
          seedlings. Perhaps there is something wrong with the seeds you bought.

          As for eating them, if you cook them 1 cup seeds in 2.5 cups water
          for 20 minutes on a low fire you get a thick porridge.

          Erez

          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Klemen <dva_wolk@...> wrote:
          > Hi, all!
          I have a few questions about amarnthus.
          I bought seeds of amaranthus plant and (almost) none started for a
          whole week. I have heard that the seeds are tought and it may be half
          of a century to sprout them. They do sprout when they are altered
          (buldozers, etc) so i was thinking would it be a good idea just to
          throw the seeds on the ground and then beat the earth with a showel
          just to wound some seeds?! or is there a better way to do it, such as
          freezing the seeds or something simmilar?

          Since my amaranthus didn't grow much, i collected wild amaranthus
          seeds. But it seems to me that they aren't palatable raw - to tough
          shell. So what is the best way to prepare them? Cooking, baking,
          steaming, can i put them in bread? Grinding? I have heard that maiyas
          used amaranthus - how did they prepare them?

          Anyone knows some good inet resources about amaranthus?
          Anyone heard about "extruding" amaranthus? I hope it is the right
          word - let me explain it. I am sure the majority of you knows about
          mikado chocolate. There is rice in it and it is extruded. So, anyone
          knows anything of extruding amaranthus?
          I very look forward to your answers/hints.
          Best Regards,
          Klemen
        • Rick van Rein
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 14, 2007
            Hello,

            > As for eating them, if you cook them 1 cup seeds in 2.5 cups water
            > for 20 minutes on a low fire you get a thick porridge.

            I know that Quinoa requires removal of the hulls; is that also the
            case with Amaranthus tricolor?

            -Rick