RE: [pfaf] amaranthus seeds

  • michael lasky
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 2007
      kleman,

      in bolivia there are several grains which are similar to amaranth in appearance, including quinoa and canllahua(sp?). the later one is usually toasted lightly and ground and mixed with warm water or milk and if desired, sugar. it is highly nutritious and delicious with a chocolate like flavor. the leaves are often eaten in salads or cooked and added to soups. i think toasting and grinding is the way to go.

      maikito

      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.comFrom: dva_wolk@...: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 23:30:56 +0200Subject: [pfaf] amaranthus seeds

      Hi, all!I have a few questions about amarnthus.I bought seeds of amaranthus plant and (almost) none started for a wholeweek. I have heard that the seeds are tought and it may be half of a centuryto sprout them. They do sprout when they are altered (buldozers, etc) so iwas thinking would it be a good idea just to throw the seeds on the groundand then beat the earth with a showel just to wound some seeds?! or is therea better way to do it, such as freezing the seeds or something simmilar?Since my amaranthus didn't grow much, i collected wild amaranthus seeds. Butit seems to me that they aren't palatable raw - to tough shell. So what isthe best way to prepare them? Cooking, baking, steaming, can i put them inbread? Grinding? I have heard that maiyas used amaranthus - how did theyprepare them?Anyone knows some good inet resources about amaranthus?Anyone heard about "extruding" amaranthus? I hope it is the right word - letme explain it. I am sure the majority of you knows about mikado chocolate.There is rice in it and it is extruded. So, anyone knows anything ofextruding amaranthus?I very look forward to your answers/hints.Best Regards,Klemen[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

    • greenman3220
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2007
        Greetings Klemen,

        I got a bag of amaranth from some health food store last Spring - it
        germinated quite easily in moist paper towels in a covered container (on
        top of the fridge to catch 'waste heat' - then it did fine out in the
        field (USDA Zone 7a, alkaline cherty clay soil) until the groundhogs or
        rabbits found my test patch, dammit [/:)]

        Extrusion sounds like a great idea to expand potential market - go for
        it. Maybe grind up some seed, make a 'fluffy' dough/paste and run it
        thru and old meat grinder sort of thing -- maybe better yet a pastry bag
        - should be good enough for trials anyway.

        good luck,
        Granger

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Klemen <dva_wolk@...> wrote:

        > Hi, all!
        >
        > I have a few questions about amarnthus.
        >
        > I bought seeds of amaranthus plant and (almost) none started for a
        whole
        > week. I have heard that the seeds are tought and it may be half of a
        century
        > to sprout them. They do sprout when they are altered (buldozers, etc)
        so i
        > was thinking would it be a good idea just to throw the seeds on the
        ground
        > and then beat the earth with a showel just to wound some seeds?! or is
        there
        > a better way to do it, such as freezing the seeds or something
        simmilar?

        > Since my amaranthus didn't grow much, i collected wild amaranthus
        seeds. But
        > it seems to me that they aren't palatable raw - to tough shell. So
        what is
        > the best way to prepare them? Cooking, baking, steaming, can i put
        them in
        > bread? Grinding? I have heard that maiyas used amaranthus - how did
        they
        > prepare them?
        >
        > Anyone knows some good inet resources about amaranthus?
        >
        > Anyone heard about "extruding" amaranthus? I hope it is the right word
        - let
        > me explain it. I am sure the majority of you knows about mikado
        chocolate.
        > There is rice in it and it is extruded. So, anyone knows anything of
        > extruding amaranthus?
        >

        > I very look forward to your answers/hints.
        >
        > Best Regards,
        > Klemen

      • Clinton McDowell
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2007
          Toast the seeds ...they ¨pop¨ open turning white(er,off white) here in Mexico it becomes a weed ..there is NO problem for them sprouting

          `round here they make something called ¨alegria¨...HAPPINESS... using honey to make it stick toigether...I´ve seen it done with chocolate too ..w/ vanilla seasoning uuuuummmmmm!!!!
          mix the two, or try nuts too, ingredients put in a mold into oven (low heat) & voila ...H A P P I N E S S....raisins work pumpkin seeds...etc

          Klemen <dva_wolk@...> escribió:
[...]

        • erez_00
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 13, 2007
            Hi Klemen,
            After reading your letter below I took commercial packaged-to-eat
            Amaranth seeds, sowed them on regular potting soil and watered them
            every other day. Within less than a week I have very many little
            seedlings. Perhaps there is something wrong with the seeds you bought.

            As for eating them, if you cook them 1 cup seeds in 2.5 cups water
            for 20 minutes on a low fire you get a thick porridge.

            Erez

            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Klemen <dva_wolk@...> wrote:
            > Hi, all!
            I have a few questions about amarnthus.
            I bought seeds of amaranthus plant and (almost) none started for a
            whole week. I have heard that the seeds are tought and it may be half
            of a century to sprout them. They do sprout when they are altered
            (buldozers, etc) so i was thinking would it be a good idea just to
            throw the seeds on the ground and then beat the earth with a showel
            just to wound some seeds?! or is there a better way to do it, such as
            freezing the seeds or something simmilar?

            Since my amaranthus didn't grow much, i collected wild amaranthus
            seeds. But it seems to me that they aren't palatable raw - to tough
            shell. So what is the best way to prepare them? Cooking, baking,
            steaming, can i put them in bread? Grinding? I have heard that maiyas
            used amaranthus - how did they prepare them?

            Anyone knows some good inet resources about amaranthus?
            Anyone heard about "extruding" amaranthus? I hope it is the right
            word - let me explain it. I am sure the majority of you knows about
            mikado chocolate. There is rice in it and it is extruded. So, anyone
            knows anything of extruding amaranthus?
            I very look forward to your answers/hints.
            Best Regards,
            Klemen
          • Rick van Rein
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 14, 2007
              Hello,

              > As for eating them, if you cook them 1 cup seeds in 2.5 cups water
              > for 20 minutes on a low fire you get a thick porridge.

              I know that Quinoa requires removal of the hulls; is that also the
              case with Amaranthus tricolor?

              -Rick