RE: [pfaf] edible plants

  • Davidoff, Lorraine
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
      I have had good luck with the PFAF database, I also have Cornucopia II,
      a great book with lots of information. When trying something new, I
      look it up, and if it says edible, I try a little and see if I have any
      adverse reaction. I eat a wide variety of "wild" or nontraditional
      plants and plant parts along with a "normal" American diet. I will say
      that I had a large fibroid tumor encapsulate an ovarian cyst (all
      removed in January) and the doctors were astonished at how healthy and
      young-looking my organs were, even in the face of organ failure due to
      pressure from the tumor. They didn't need to remove anything other than
      the tumor/cyst. Both doctors, individually, came by after the surgery
      and said that was highly unusual and quizzed me at length about my diet.
      The scar across my stomach was no longer visible in 5 weeks, and the
      doctor was again astonished. I do not use supplements. I initially
      started eating this way due to curiosity, but also because everyone on
      one side of my family died young from cancer, but my great-grandfather
      who lived to 100 even though he also had cancer as a young man... when
      diagnosed, he went into the woods and started eating wild foods... and
      lived 30 years after diagnosis... the cancer faded away. I eat much
      less wild food than my grandfather, but am planting more nontraditional
      things all the time... I am over 50 and need the help :)
      My guess? Our bodies are designed to destroy cancer cells; however
      our diets do not provide sufficient nutrition to run the machine (like
      running a car on 2 cylinders). In part due to junk food, but also due
      to the fact that most of our "improved" varieties are "improved" by
      increasing the sugar and/or starch content... lowering the nutritional
      value of most of our crops.
      As for preserving, I have several books, but have found lots of useful
      information on the Internet for free. Check on amazon.com. Your local
      library will get any book through interlibrary loan for you to check out
      before you purchase it.

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 8, 2007
        of the native British trees you can eat lime, beech, hawthorn - when they are young & tender. Liz
        I want to post questions but I don't know where, so I tried it on this
        space.
        Here are my questions:
        Can humans eat green leaves from fruit trees and even grasses without
        cooking?
        Can we dry or process these leaves to preserve them for later use,
        say, during winter?
        Where can we find proff that we can eat leaves from fruit trees?

        Thank you very much.

        http://www.eset.com

      • Rick van Rein
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 14, 2007
          Hello Joseph Kuno,

          > Can humans eat green leaves from fruit trees and even grasses without
          > cooking?

          You should also consider weeds. Some are well-known to taste good,
          such as dandelion leaves before the flower comes up, stinging nettle
          after treatment such as cooking or freezing to remove the sting, and
          chickweed as a raw salad-substitute. You could also look into
          non-standard leaves like those of the root crop Scorzonera hispanica.
          I haven't tried the latter yet, but it is said to taste mild, like
          plain lettuce. And if you leave the root it grows as a perennial.
          I also like the leaves of Fagopyrum dibotrys, or perennial buckwheat.

          > Can we dry or process these leaves to preserve them for later use,
          > say, during winter?

          During winter you could use other leaves, such as Campanula spp.
          This is an article about winter salads:

          http://pfaf.org/leaflets/winsalad.php

          > Where can we find proff that we can eat leaves from fruit trees?

          Compare a number of reliable sources; try Richard Maybe's Food for Free,
          try Plants For A Future and similar books. It's up to you how much
          printed evidence you need before going for it. I find that PFAF is
          often quite good: http://www.pfaf.org/

          Bon apetit :)
          -Rick
        • Michael Porter
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 14, 2007
            I eat Chaya [my variety] and Moringa raw, -and Peach leaves to help with parasites, --Michael Porter

            Rick van Rein <rick@...> wrote: Hello Joseph Kuno,

            > Can humans eat green leaves from fruit trees and even grasses without
            > cooking?

            You should also consider weeds. Some are well-known to taste good,
            such as dandelion leaves before the flower comes up, stinging nettle
            after treatment such as cooking or freezing to remove the sting, and
            chickweed as a raw salad-substitute. You could also look into
            non-standard leaves like those of the root crop Scorzonera hispanica.
            I haven't tried the latter yet, but it is said to taste mild, like
            plain lettuce. And if you leave the root it grows as a perennial.
            I also like the leaves of Fagopyrum dibotrys, or perennial buckwheat.

            > Can we dry or process these leaves to preserve them for later use,
            > say, during winter?

            During winter you could use other leaves, such as Campanula spp.
            This is an article about winter salads:

            http://pfaf.org/leaflets/winsalad.php

            > Where can we find proff that we can eat leaves from fruit trees?

            Compare a number of reliable sources; try Richard Maybe's Food for Free,
            try Plants For A Future and similar books. It's up to you how much
            printed evidence you need before going for it. I find that PFAF is
            often quite good: http://www.pfaf.org/

            Bon apetit :)
            -Rick

          • joseph kuno
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 16, 2007
              Thank you very very much for your unformation.

              Michael Porter <michaels4gardens@...> wrote: I eat Chaya [my variety] and Moringa raw, -and Peach leaves to help with parasites, --Michael Porter

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 16, 2007
                Wow!

                > Michael Porter <michaels4gardens@...> wrote:
                > I eat Chaya [my variety] and Moringa raw [...]

                Be careful with that. If you digest Chaya, you're supposed to release
                HCN in your intestines, which is poissonous. The cells of Chaya must be
                broken before consumption, so the HCN forms and evaporates in the air.

                One way of breaking the cells is cooking, another way is grinding the
                leaves and drying them.

                Source:
                http://echotech.org/technical/az/aztext/azch2veg.htm#Chay

                If your variety of Chaya has no such problems, let ECHO know!
                Does your variety lack the stinging underside?

                Cheers,

                Rick van Rein
              • Mat Coward
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 16, 2007
                  Hello - can anyone tell me how to tell when the fruits of Chaenomeles japonica are ready for harvest?
                  Thanks,
                  Mat (in Somerset, UK)

                • Dan Culbertson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 16, 2007
                    If you *know* a leaf type is not toxic (check the PFAF database) but it is
                    too tough or bitter to eat raw try this:
                    Collect a bunch of leaves from a bunch of plants, chop them up a bit, and
                    boil them slowly for about a half hour in a crock pot or rice cooker. If you
                    have any vegetable parings around from making salads (onion skins, celery
                    tops, carrot peels, etc.) add them too. Strain off the boiling water and
                    use it as a soup base. Can be frozen in an ice cube tray for latter use or,
                    possibly, boiled down into a thick base or powder to save for winter (I
                    haven't tried that). If you taste the leaves in the field and they are
                    really bitter you might want to boil them separately and see how they taste
                    boiled before dumping them in the mix. Make sure they are edible first (the
                    PFAF database or any good field guide for edible plants).

                    Yesterday I made a nice soup base out of the following leaves and stems and
                    such: wild Florida Betony leaves, wild celery stems and leaves (going to
                    seed), garden strawberry leaves, wild blackberry leaves, papaya tree leaves,
                    avocado tree leaves, squash vine leaves, bean vine leaves, wild grape vine
                    leaves, canna plant leaves, wild Bidens alba (Spanish Needle) leaves,
                    cockscomb flower (for color), pine needles (green), lemon grass leaves,
                    kaffir lime tree leaves, sweet potato leaves, and a handful of lawn grass
                    (and probably a few more things I can't remember). Only used a little of
                    each one and the overall flavor was generic green and slightly lemony (from
                    the lemon grass and lime leaves). With a bit of vegan "no-beef" base and
                    garlic along with barley and dried veggies added it was a good soup today.
                    Made the dried veggie soup taste much fresher than normal and I suspect it
                    had more vitamins and other good stuff. Hopefully none of those things are
                    going to kill me - but they are listed as "edible" one place or another.

                    Of course that all isn't "without cooking" but some of those things would
                    take a goat's gut to digest raw. Or a shredder/grinder and a compost heap.
                    Might have been able to dry them and powder them and turn them into munchie
                    kibbles - but cooking them is probably much more tasty. Anyhow, I agree
                    with the person who said we don't eat enough leaves. Eat more greens! They
                    won't kill you (usually).

                    Dan