Re: [pfaf] Companion Planting

  • Griselda Mussett
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 14 1:19 AM
      Here in Kent UK apples have been grown for hundreds of years - along
      with Herefordshire, this is the main apple-producing area of the
      country. Apples are very hungry and are grown on the best and most
      fertile soil. In addition, nothing is grown under them. Farmers using
      modern industrial management spray (ugh) to keep the soil bare beneath
      the trees to give the apples exclusive root space. I am told that
      apples have their feeding roots quite near the surface. While I do not
      think you would want to have bare earth under your apples, you might
      plan to put your other crops slightly away from the apples, if you want
      apples to set and grow. I don't think this applies to cherries, pears
      or plums which are grown locally with grass round them.

      In addition, I found that planting berries (blackcurrants,
      strawberries, raspberries, loganberries ) in the partial shade of a
      wonderful old field maple tree had the effect of giving me little or no
      fruit. The fruits needed sunlight to grow, and also to help keep slugs
      away from the strawberries. The slugs and long grass liked the extra
      damp conditions of being in the shade.

      This was not exactly a forest garden but working on a fruit and
      vegetable garden which happened to be partly shaded by trees. I would
      not try to grow fruits etc in shade again! But it may be that under
      smaller fruit trees your shade would be more dappled. The very
      picturesque local tradition is to graze small flocks of sheep and lamb,
      or sometimes have flocks of hens in the orchards - the animals keep the
      grass low, and help fertilise the soil.

      Griselda

      On 13 Sep 2007, at 17:52, greenfingers999 wrote:

      > I am currently putting together a small "edible forest garden",
      > consisting initially of apples, pears, plums, and cherries, it will
      > also include understory species of elaeagnus, juneberry, plus many
      > other edibles. If you are doing the same, what problems, if any, have
      > you experienced concerning 'companion planting'? Have any of your
      > trees/shrubs reacted in any unusual way by beaing planted nearby
      > eachother?

    • Traveler in Thyme
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 14 6:16 AM
        Fruit trees are very shallow rooted, short lived trees (our peaches only
        live about 15 years before needing replacement). I know apple trees can
        live forever, I've seen trees reputed to have been planted by Johnny
        Appleseed, but they are heavy feeders.

        However, we do grow mints in the shade under our fruit trees --- catnip,
        spearmint, and other low ground cover varieites, which really seems to keep
        away the bugs.

        Trees feed heaviest at the drip line, so planting things right at the edge
        of their shade actually robs them of a lot of their food, unless your soil
        is so deep the trees can get down to nutrients the shrubs can't reach.

        Most fruit trees and berry vines are in the rose family.......and roses love
        companion garlic and onion varieties. We learned about the mints because
        our fields were infested with catnip. Don't plant grapes near roses, they
        give each other fungus. Blackberries, cherries, and peaches are also bad
        companions. But, if you do like we do and just mix everything up so it
        looks like forest instead of orchard, the plants are healthy enough, it's
        just hard to harvest them before the birds and squirrels get everything.

        I thought we had planted enough for everyone, sigh....but every year when
        the peaches are ALMOST ripe, dozens of squirrels move into the neighborhood
        and eat them all green. I hope they get a tummy ache.

        ---Marcia Cash
        Traveler in Thyme
        http://www.travelerinthyme.com

      • Gail Lloyd
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 14 7:38 AM
          There is a good website to tell you some edible plants to grow in shade. It is http://www.pfaf.org/leaflets/ProbPlac.php This site talks about edible berries to grow in shade and also fuschias, etc. You might also consider mushrooms also if you have lots of shade & moisture.
          Companion planting is important in helping keep insects away, like tansy will keep ants away and marigolds help keep insects away from your veggies, and herbs in general help keep insects away, etc. There is much information on this subject, but one good site is http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html.
          Plants under trees do compete with the trees roots for moisture & nutrients, so it's best to avoid planting anything under fruit trees - just use compost and mulch, and be sure to water your tree around the drip zone and not the trunk (after the first month of watering by the trunk to get the tree established). Water deeply (to 3 feet - test it with a probe) and less often (depending on how dry it is - test your soil & when the probe only goes down 3", it's time to water again). This is true for all trees. For shrubs, water 2 feet, & water again when probe only goes down 2". With flowers, water 1 foot, & water again when probe only goes down 1". A lot of plant problems are caused either by overwatering or underwatering.
          jg

          Griselda Mussett <griselda1@...> wrote:
          Here in Kent UK apples have been grown for hundreds of years - along
          with Herefordshire, this is the main apple-producing area of the
          country. Apples are very hungry and are grown on the best and most
          fertile soil. In addition, nothing is grown under them. Farmers using
          modern industrial management spray (ugh) to keep the soil bare beneath
          the trees to give the apples exclusive root space. I am told that
          apples have their feeding roots quite near the surface. While I do not
          think you would want to have bare earth under your apples, you might
          plan to put your other crops slightly away from the apples, if you want
          apples to set and grow. I don't think this applies to cherries, pears
          or plums which are grown locally with grass round them.

          In addition, I found that planting berries (blackcurrants,
          strawberries, raspberries, loganberries ) in the partial shade of a
          wonderful old field maple tree had the effect of giving me little or no
          fruit. The fruits needed sunlight to grow, and also to help keep slugs
          away from the strawberries. The slugs and long grass liked the extra
          damp conditions of being in the shade.

          This was not exactly a forest garden but working on a fruit and
          vegetable garden which happened to be partly shaded by trees. I would
          not try to grow fruits etc in shade again! But it may be that under
          smaller fruit trees your shade would be more dappled. The very
          picturesque local tradition is to graze small flocks of sheep and lamb,
          or sometimes have flocks of hens in the orchards - the animals keep the
          grass low, and help fertilise the soil.

          Griselda

          On 13 Sep 2007, at 17:52, greenfingers999 wrote:

          > I am currently putting together a small "edible forest garden",
          > consisting initially of apples, pears, plums, and cherries, it will
          > also include understory species of elaeagnus, juneberry, plus many
          > other edibles. If you are doing the same, what problems, if any, have
          > you experienced concerning 'companion planting'? Have any of your
          > trees/shrubs reacted in any unusual way by beaing planted nearby
          > eachother?

        • Davidoff, Lorraine
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 14 7:54 AM
            I have been growing fruits, vegetables, and flowers successfully under
            pecan, oak, and elm trees for about 20 years. I can grow a wide variety
            (over 100 types of flowering plants) under the trees, even chili peppers
            and tomatoes (lower production but they also flower through the August
            heat when plants in full sun here stop flowering). I think more in
            lumens or foot-candles. If a plant wants full sun or half shade in
            England, I can sometimes grow it in north shade in Texas. If wants full
            sun in Mexico, it wants full sun in Texas as well.
            I also have very deep clay soil, which when kept amended with compost
            is extremely rich and supports closer planting. You didn't say where
            you are creating your food forest, but you can take a clue from any
            reasonably natural forest areas near you. I have many books, but one I
            It lists each major area and the main trees growing there, it lists some
            shrubs as well. I have another field guide to Eastern North American
            herbaceous layer. My area is naturally an Oak-Hickory forest. The
            books list the native trees and shrubs that grow in Oak-Hickory forests,
            and I keep "related" shrubs underneath. If I plant something and it
            looks sickly within a couple weeks, I move it quickly... it's hard to
            know all of the interactions.
            I wish you luck with your food forest, I love mine! I bought 14
            acres (hay field) last year and plan to move within a year. I have
            already started planting pecans, walnuts, oaks, maple, black cherries,
            etc. as my "top" layer. I have apple (they do well under wild black
            cherry), plum (do well under pecan), mulberry (do well under walnut),
            peach, etc. waiting to move to the "farm."
            I'm also writing a book! I didn't coin the term, but I've been food
            foresting for ages.

            ________________________________

            Here in Kent UK apples have been grown for hundreds of years - along
            with Herefordshire, this is the main apple-producing area of the
            country. Apples are very hungry and are grown on the best and most
            fertile soil. In addition, nothing is grown under them. Farmers using
            modern industrial management spray (ugh) to keep the soil bare beneath
            the trees to give the apples exclusive root space. I am told that
            apples have their feeding roots quite near the surface. While I do not
            think you would want to have bare earth under your apples, you might
            plan to put your other crops slightly away from the apples, if you want
            apples to set and grow. I don't think this applies to cherries, pears
            or plums which are grown locally with grass round them.

            In addition, I found that planting berries (blackcurrants,
            strawberries, raspberries, loganberries ) in the partial shade of a
            wonderful old field maple tree had the effect of giving me little or no
            fruit. The fruits needed sunlight to grow, and also to help keep slugs
            away from the strawberries. The slugs and long grass liked the extra
            damp conditions of being in the shade.

            This was not exactly a forest garden but working on a fruit and
            vegetable garden which happened to be partly shaded by trees. I would
            not try to grow fruits etc in shade again! But it may be that under
            smaller fruit trees your shade would be more dappled. The very
            picturesque local tradition is to graze small flocks of sheep and lamb,
            or sometimes have flocks of hens in the orchards - the animals keep the
            grass low, and help fertilise the soil.

            Griselda

            On 13 Sep 2007, at 17:52, greenfingers999 wrote:

            > I am currently putting together a small "edible forest garden",
            > consisting initially of apples, pears, plums, and cherries, it will
            > also include understory species of elaeagnus, juneberry, plus many
            > other edibles. If you are doing the same, what problems, if any, have
            > you experienced concerning 'companion planting'? Have any of your
            > trees/shrubs reacted in any unusual way by beaing planted nearby
            > eachother?

          • Griselda Mussett
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 17 3:26 AM
              Yesterday, in our town centre, a medium-height Hickory tree was
              shedding its conkers all around - for the first time in its life I
              think - or the first time that there were a few dozen on the ground.
              Cars were driving over them so I collected several to see if I can
              start growing some Hickory seedlings. This tree is not native to the
              UK, but is reminiscent of our Sweet Chestnut for size, and Horse
              Chestnut for leaf-shape and the shape of the 'nuts'.
              It's a pleasing coincidence that you mention Hickory this morning, so I
              thought I'd ask for any tips about how to start growing these and any
              other information you can easily send about Hickory trees.
              Griselda

              On 14 Sep 2007, at 15:54, Davidoff, Lorraine wrote:
              > My area is naturally an Oak-Hickory forest. The
              > books list the native trees and shrubs that grow in Oak-Hickory
              > forests,
              > and I keep "related" shrubs underneath. If I plant something and it
              > looks sickly within a couple weeks, I move it quickly... it's hard to
              > know all of the interactions.

            • Lawrence F. London, Jr.
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 17 3:45 AM
                Griselda Mussett wrote:

                > Yesterday, in our town centre, a medium-height Hickory tree was
                > shedding its conkers all around - for the first time in its life I
                > think - or the first time that there were a few dozen on the ground.
                > Cars were driving over them so I collected several to see if I can
                > start growing some Hickory seedlings. This tree is not native to the
                > UK, but is reminiscent of our Sweet Chestnut for size, and Horse
                > Chestnut for leaf-shape and the shape of the 'nuts'.
                > It's a pleasing coincidence that you mention Hickory this morning, so I
                > thought I'd ask for any tips about how to start growing these and any
                > other information you can easily send about Hickory trees.
                > Griselda

                Hickory is common around here and occasionally you see varieties with large oversize nuts.
                They self-seed readily where there is good soil. I would gather some good mineral-rich forest dirt plus
                a goodly quantity of aged organic matter from the ground's surface and plant the nuts you've collected in
                that, stratified in pots as would be found in Nature.

                Conkers is a good name for the "wild hickory nuts" (Ewell Gibbons).

                --
                Lawrence F. London, Jr.
                lflj@...
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 17 7:04 AM
                  nice! While your nuts are still moist and viable, pot them up in moist
                  potting soil and put outside. They need a month or so of warmth and a
                  couple months of cold stratification. Be sure to put a screen over the
                  top to keep squirrels, etc. from eating them. They get a deep taproot,
                  and do not transplant well unless started in a pot. Make it the deepest
                  pot you can find. In the winter they will get a root, and in the spring
                  they will sprout up and you can plant them out (quickly). Although the
                  books say you have to wait 10 years for a crop, mine seem to start
                  bearing much earlier, although not very many nuts in the beginning, of
                  course. I started about 20 of them last year from my current tree and
                  will plant all of them this fall. I planted 4 last fall. You should be
                  able to plant them any time of year in England; but due to extreme heat
                  in the summer, I plant in the fall.

                  ________________________________

                  Yesterday, in our town centre, a medium-height Hickory tree was
                  shedding its conkers all around - for the first time in its life I
                  think - or the first time that there were a few dozen on the ground.
                  Cars were driving over them so I collected several to see if I can
                  start growing some Hickory seedlings. This tree is not native to the
                  UK, but is reminiscent of our Sweet Chestnut for size, and Horse
                  Chestnut for leaf-shape and the shape of the 'nuts'.
                  It's a pleasing coincidence that you mention Hickory this morning, so I
                  thought I'd ask for any tips about how to start growing these and any
                  other information you can easily send about Hickory trees.
                  Griselda

                  On 14 Sep 2007, at 15:54, Davidoff, Lorraine wrote:
                  > My area is naturally an Oak-Hickory forest. The
                  > books list the native trees and shrubs that grow in Oak-Hickory
                  > forests,
                  > and I keep "related" shrubs underneath. If I plant something and it
                  > looks sickly within a couple weeks, I move it quickly... it's hard to
                  > know all of the interactions.

                • Diane Lee Long
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 17 8:53 PM
                    If my memory serves me right, it will take about sixteen years to get nuts from that tree. You might be further ahead taking a cutting and put some rooting hormone on it to try to start it that way.

                    Diane

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 19 7:21 AM
                      I have read 10 years, 15 years, 20 years. My personal experience has
                      not been that. Many things are put out by industry that are not true,
                      and get repeated ad infinitum. I have read "Yes, you can grow that
                      apple tree from seed, but what kind of fruit will you get 15 years from
                      now when it finally bears fruit?" There are people today who think you
                      may not get apples! Trees grown from seed have better root systems and
                      survive drought and other climate stressors better than cuttings. The
                      desirable thing about cuttings is getting a genetically identical
                      tree... and that is the downfall also. It is desirable if not overdone,
                      but one virus or bacteria can wipe out an entire population of identical
                      anything.

                      ________________________________

                    • Infowolf1@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 19 10:25 AM
                        In a message dated 9/19/2007 7:12:35 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                        firstwhitelight@... writes:

                        If my memory serves me right, it will take about sixteen years to get nuts
                        from that tree. You might be further ahead taking a cutting and put some
                        rooting hormone on it to try to start it that way.

                        Diane

                        Or go to a nursery that has baby trees, and get one that's a few
                        years old already.

                        Mary Christine

                      • Dee Harris
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 19 4:51 PM
                          Hickory nuts are all well and good but what I miss and what should be put on the endangered species list is the black walnut tree. I'm going to have to go back to Oklahoma just to find a sapling now.
                          Wolf

                          Diane Lee Long <firstwhitelight@...> wrote:
                          If my memory serves me right, it will take about sixteen years to get nuts from that tree. You might be further ahead taking a cutting and put some rooting hormone on it to try to start it that way.

                          Diane

                          Griselda Mussett <griselda1@...> wrote:
                          Yesterday, in our town centre, a medium-height Hickory tree was
                          shedding its conkers all around - for the first time in its life I
                          think - or the first time that there were a few dozen on the ground.
                          Cars were driving over them so I collected several to see if I can
                          start growing some Hickory seedlings. This tree is not native to the
                          UK, but is reminiscent of our Sweet Chestnut for size, and Horse
                          Chestnut for leaf-shape and the shape of the 'nuts'.
                          It's a pleasing coincidence that you mention Hickory this morning, so I
                          thought I'd ask for any tips about how to start growing these and any
                          other information you can easily send about Hickory trees.
                          Griselda

                          On 14 Sep 2007, at 15:54, Davidoff, Lorraine wrote:
                          > My area is naturally an Oak-Hickory forest. The
                          > books list the native trees and shrubs that grow in Oak-Hickory
                          > forests,
                          > and I keep "related" shrubs underneath. If I plant something and it
                          > looks sickly within a couple weeks, I move it quickly... it's hard to
                          > know all of the interactions.

                          test'; ">

                        • Diane Lee Long
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 19 6:16 PM
                            Dear Wolf,

                            I have a few saplings of Black Walnut that need to be moved. I do not have the heart to run them over. Back e-mail me with your address and I will send them to you.

                            Diane

                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 20 6:51 AM
                              go to www.arborday.org, the National Arbor Day Foundation sells them for
                              $7-$10.50 each (they will not put enough chemicals on the trees to ship
                              to Texas).
                              I recently got Wild Black Cherry tree seedlings at Shooting Star Nursery
                              online, nice & in pots, but didn't see Black Walnut, they have a lot of
                              nice natives, though.