vanilla growing

  • Traveler in Thyme
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 7, 2007
      My friend, Ananda, replies to everyone's questions about vanilla with these
      remarks:

      Vanilla is an Orchid. Doesn't like direct sunlight. They are propagated with
      cuttings. Even then it takes about two years to flower and fruit. Vanilla
      beans are dried in shade until it is dry but flexible.

      Vanilla plants may take up to 7 years to flower when they are propagated
      through seeds. Therefore cuttings are the best way of propagation.

      ~~~Traveler in Thyme~~~
      http://www.travelerinthyme.com

    • Dorothy
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 8, 2007
        EZEKIEL 47:12

        Along the bank of the river on this side and that, will grow all
        kinds of trees used for food; there leaves will not wither, and
        their fruit will not fail. They will bear fruit every month, because
        their water flows from the santuary. Their fruit will be for food and
        their leaves for medicine.
      • Brian Brown
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 11, 2007
          Thanks Marcia,
          brian

          --- Traveler in Thyme <marcia@...> wrote:

          > My friend, Ananda, replies to everyone's questions about vanilla with these
          > remarks:
          >
          > Vanilla is an Orchid. Doesn't like direct sunlight. They are propagated with
          > cuttings. Even then it takes about two years to flower and fruit. Vanilla
          > beans are dried in shade until it is dry but flexible.
          >
          > Vanilla plants may take up to 7 years to flower when they are propagated
          > through seeds. Therefore cuttings are the best way of propagation.
          >
          > ~~~Traveler in Thyme~~~
          > http://www.travelerinthyme.com

        • Alicia Rangel Avila
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 14, 2007
            Thank you a lot for the information!

            I have some vanilla cuttings, but they havent sprout...they have been like
            that around 9 months. They are still green tho, I am afraid of taking them
            out of the soil to check if there are any roots.

            Any idea what should I do?

            -Alicia