Vanilla Bean production

  • Brian Brown
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
      Hello,

      I am starting to research techniques for growing Vanilla planifolia,
      and producing seed pods or vanilla beans.

      Does anyone know of good sources of information?

      Thanks Brian
    • Rick van Rein
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
        Richard,

        > I want to try natural than all the other stuff out there.
        > Any suggestions ?

        Have a look at the PFAF site, link "medicinal uses".
        You will found many things that are helpful.

        > My legs are swollen 2 to 2.5 normal size including feet.
        > Need a natural diuretic,

        Well-known ones (and easy to get to) are tea and coffee (a few pots
        a day) and dandelion (flowers, processed roots, leaves).

        Another is alcohol, but that's not advisable for other reasons :)

        > and something to help lose weight.

        Trivial. Excercise :) best as a fun part of your daily routine.

        Hope this works for you,

        Cheers,
        -Rick
      • Liz
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
          Dear Richard
          I'd recommend seeing a qualified herbalist to get the right combination of herbs for you & the range of ailments. Its ok to self-administer to a certain extent but if the situation is complex & you need different herbs, then a herbalist will know what combines well together. For example tea/coffee may be a good diuretic but the caffeine is not good for blood sugar. It would also be advisable to see a naturopath for diet advice.

          Good luck with it.
          > I want to try natural than all the other stuff out there.
          > Any suggestions ?

          Have a look at the PFAF site, link "medicinal uses".
          You will found many things that are helpful.

          > My legs are swollen 2 to 2.5 normal size including feet.
          > Need a natural diuretic,

          Well-known ones (and easy to get to) are tea and coffee (a few pots
          a day) and dandelion (flowers, processed roots, leaves).

          Another is alcohol, but that's not advisable for other reasons :)

          > and something to help lose weight.

          Trivial. Excercise :) best as a fun part of your daily routine.

          Hope this works for you,

          Cheers,
          -Rick

        • Traveler in Thyme
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
            I have sent a copy of your post to an online friend who has vanilla farm in
            Sri Lanka. You will enjoy his knowledge.

            ---Marcia Cash
            Traveler in Thyme
            http://www.travelerinthyme.com

          • Michael Porter
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
              Eating Prickly Pear Cactus Pads as a part of your diet will stabilize blood sugar, you can look up the reasearch on the net for your self, or look up Dr Michael Friedman. -if you want to know more you can contact me, Michael@...

              Robert Waldrop <bwaldrop@...> wrote: To help control blood sugar, I take two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar about 15 minutes before each meal, I mix it with tomato juice or apple juice.

              I have also heard that cinnamon helps in reducing blood sugar, if you do a google search for cinnamon and diabetes you will find a lot of info.

              Exercise is also critical, start gentle and slow and gradually build up.

              Green tea tends to be a diuretic for me.

              I don't know anything about blood clots.

              Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City
              www.bettertimesinfo.org

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                Thanks Marsha,
                Brian

                --- Traveler in Thyme <marcia@...> wrote:

                > I have sent a copy of your post to an online friend who has vanilla farm in
                > Sri Lanka. You will enjoy his knowledge.
                >
                > ---Marcia Cash
                > Traveler in Thyme
                > http://www.travelerinthyme.com

              • Martin Naylor
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                  I suggest you read Eat to Live Joel Furmann M.D. a U.S. doctor with over 20 years ex 10 years clinical ex Olympic skier for scientific proof and a complete dietary change he claims to have a 90% success rate getting people of diabetic asthma and a host of other medications in 6 weeks, raw fooders have smiler claims
                  martin

                  http://martin.eblogs.com/
                  Permaculture Peoples Party

                • Dee Harris
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 6, 2007
                    This would be something I would be interested in as well. May I put my request in as well?
                    Wolf

                    Brian Brown <boomerb7@...> wrote:

                    Thanks Marsha,
                    Brian

                    --- Traveler in Thyme <marcia@...> wrote:

                    > I have sent a copy of your post to an online friend who has vanilla farm in
                    > Sri Lanka. You will enjoy his knowledge.
                    >
                    > ---Marcia Cash
                    > Traveler in Thyme
                    > http://www.travelerinthyme.com

                    test'; ">

                  • Dee Harris
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 6, 2007
                      Richard, I back up Liz on this one. Enlarged legs and feet are a sign of edema and can be deadly. Plus you need a good masseuse. It will help bring down the swelling if done right. I know. I've done it before on patients who have had the same problem.
                      Wolf

                      Liz <liz7@...> wrote:
                      Dear Richard
                      I'd recommend seeing a qualified herbalist to get the right combination of herbs for you & the range of ailments. Its ok to self-administer to a certain extent but if the situation is complex & you need different herbs, then a herbalist will know what combines well together. For example tea/coffee may be a good diuretic but the caffeine is not good for blood sugar. It would also be advisable to see a naturopath for diet advice.

                      Good luck with it.
                      > I want to try natural than all the other stuff out there.
                      > Any suggestions ?

                      Have a look at the PFAF site, link "medicinal uses".
                      You will found many things that are helpful.

                      > My legs are swollen 2 to 2.5 normal size including feet.
                      > Need a natural diuretic,

                      Well-known ones (and easy to get to) are tea and coffee (a few pots
                      a day) and dandelion (flowers, processed roots, leaves).

                      Another is alcohol, but that's not advisable for other reasons :)

                      > and something to help lose weight.

                      Trivial. Excercise :) best as a fun part of your daily routine.

                      Hope this works for you,

                      Cheers,
                      -Rick

                      test'; ">

                    • michael lasky
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 6, 2007
                        me too, as ishould be returning tomy little home in the yungas of south
                        eastern bolivia, i think i would like my name added to the lists.
                        gracias!!!

                        inquisivi

                        >From: Dee Harris <corbywolf13@...>
                        >To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: Re: [pfaf] Re:Vanilla Bean production
                        >Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 17:32:44 -0700 (PDT)
                        >
                        >This would be something I would be interested in as well. May I put my
                        >request in as well?
                        > Wolf
                        >
                        >Brian Brown <boomerb7@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >Thanks Marsha,
                        >Brian
                        >
                        >--- Traveler in Thyme <marcia@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I have sent a copy of your post to an online friend who has vanilla farm
                        >in
                        > > Sri Lanka. You will enjoy his knowledge.
                        > >
                        > > ---Marcia Cash
                        > > Traveler in Thyme
                        > > http://www.travelerinthyme.com

                        >test'; ">

                        Can you find the hidden words?� Take a break and play Seekadoo!
                        http://club.live.com/seekadoo.aspx?icid=seek_hotmailtextlink1
                      • ingrid glass
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 16, 2007
                          I wouldn't mix it with apple juice, or even tomato juice. As a diabetic you
                          shouldn't have any fruit juice, it acts very quickly to raise blood sugar -
                          contains natural sugars without the fibre of the fruit and is therefore
                          absorbed straightaway. I speak as a Type 1 diabetic of 35 years (I'm 43).
                          The only time I drink fruit juice is when my blood sugar is dangerously low
                          and I need something sweet which will raise my blood sugar within 10
                          minutes...fruit juice acts almost as quickly as glucose tablets/pure
                          sugar/honey. Eat whole fruit if you want the 'healthy' option!

                          Ingrid

                          I am a 55 year young male located in Texas and I am a Type 2 Diabetic.
                          I want to try natural than all the other stuff out there.
                          Any suggestions ?
                          My legs are swollen 2 to 2.5 normal size including feet.
                          Need a natural diuretic, something to help with blood clots
                          and something to help lose weight. I am 6 ft and 273 ( about 15-20
                          pounds is fluid ).

                          Get Pimped! FREE emoticon packs from Windows Live -
                          http://www.pimpmylive.co.uk