Re: Reichardia picroides - Common Eyebright

  • Hilary Robinson
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "fredericah_uk" <fredericah_uk@...> wrote:

      > Would anyone know where I can obtain seeds of this plant used for
      > winter salads? Reichardia picroides grows in Cornwall and in Italy
      > where it is called Grattalingua PFAF used to distribute the seed,
      > but don't now!

      I remember growing Reichardia years ago when PFAF were giving out the
      seeds to try.
      However, I don't remember it being eyebright, which is a little
      flowering plant of the southern chalk downs in England - the PFAF
      website says Reichardia picroides is in the Compositae faimily (daisies
      and dandelions etc) which eyebright most definitely is not!
      I've just looked up eyebright on the PFAF website, and it's in the
      family Scrophulariaceae, Latin name Euphrasia rostkoviana.
      I'm not sure how this confusion has arisen.
      Regards, Hilary
    • Frank Schuurmans
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2007
        Reichardia picroides looks a bit like a Dandelion but
        the taste is much milder, it is an excellent salad plant,
        but it very much wants to flower, and the flower stalks
        tend to slow picking the leaves. Slugs don't seem to like it.
        At the moment I'm in Portugal (it's native here),
        and growing some from seeds I took from The Field.
        In Portugal it grows very well in winter and I get
        lots of big leaves (about twice the size compared to
        the ones at The Field). I probably can get you some seeds,
        but I expect you to pay the shipping costs.

        Cheers,
        Frank

        On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 17:55 +0000, fredericah_uk wrote:
        > Would anyone know where I can obtain seeds of this plant used for
        > winter salads? Reichardia picroides grows in Cornwall and in Italy
        > where it is called Grattalingua PFAF used to distribute the seed,
        > but don't now!
      • jonathantellerelsberg
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 13, 2012
          For those in the US and Canada, Mapple Farm (yes, Mapple with two Ps) lists it in their catalog: http://www.mapplefarm.com/Mapple_Farm_12/____Mapple_Farm_Online___._Outside_Canada_files/4-2012MappleFarmBrochure-Seed.pdf