Re:Reichardia picroides - Common Eyebright

  • stephen barstow
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
      The Agroforestry Seed Trust list Reichardia in their latest seed list
      (August 2007 � July 2008) which I received a week or so ago. However, it�s
      not on the Web site seed list yet: HYPERLINK
      "http://www.agroforestry.co.uk/"www.agroforestry.co.uk

      Stephen

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      17:21

    • Hilary Robinson
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "fredericah_uk" <fredericah_uk@...> wrote:

        > Would anyone know where I can obtain seeds of this plant used for
        > winter salads? Reichardia picroides grows in Cornwall and in Italy
        > where it is called Grattalingua PFAF used to distribute the seed,
        > but don't now!

        I remember growing Reichardia years ago when PFAF were giving out the
        seeds to try.
        However, I don't remember it being eyebright, which is a little
        flowering plant of the southern chalk downs in England - the PFAF
        website says Reichardia picroides is in the Compositae faimily (daisies
        and dandelions etc) which eyebright most definitely is not!
        I've just looked up eyebright on the PFAF website, and it's in the
        family Scrophulariaceae, Latin name Euphrasia rostkoviana.
        I'm not sure how this confusion has arisen.
        Regards, Hilary
      • Frank Schuurmans
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2007
          Reichardia picroides looks a bit like a Dandelion but
          the taste is much milder, it is an excellent salad plant,
          but it very much wants to flower, and the flower stalks
          tend to slow picking the leaves. Slugs don't seem to like it.
          At the moment I'm in Portugal (it's native here),
          and growing some from seeds I took from The Field.
          In Portugal it grows very well in winter and I get
          lots of big leaves (about twice the size compared to
          the ones at The Field). I probably can get you some seeds,
          but I expect you to pay the shipping costs.

          Cheers,
          Frank

          On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 17:55 +0000, fredericah_uk wrote:
          > Would anyone know where I can obtain seeds of this plant used for
          > winter salads? Reichardia picroides grows in Cornwall and in Italy
          > where it is called Grattalingua PFAF used to distribute the seed,
          > but don't now!
        • jonathantellerelsberg
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 13, 2012
            For those in the US and Canada, Mapple Farm (yes, Mapple with two Ps) lists it in their catalog: http://www.mapplefarm.com/Mapple_Farm_12/____Mapple_Farm_Online___._Outside_Canada_files/4-2012MappleFarmBrochure-Seed.pdf