Re: [pfaf] Reichardia picroides - Common Eyebright

  • Lee Senior
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31 4:32 AM
      Have you tried - the seed company - Seeds of Italy? It
      may be worth a go?
      What is the taste like, and are they easy enough to
      grow?

      atb

      Lee

      --- fredericah_uk <fredericah_uk@...> wrote:

      > Would anyone know where I can obtain seeds of this
      > plant used for
      > winter salads? Reichardia picroides grows in
      > Cornwall and in Italy
      > where it is called Grattalingua PFAF used to
      > distribute the seed,
      > but don't now!

      now.
      http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/
    • stephen barstow
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
        The Agroforestry Seed Trust list Reichardia in their latest seed list
        (August 2007 � July 2008) which I received a week or so ago. However, it�s
        not on the Web site seed list yet: HYPERLINK
        "http://www.agroforestry.co.uk/"www.agroforestry.co.uk

        Stephen

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        17:21

      • Hilary Robinson
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "fredericah_uk" <fredericah_uk@...> wrote:

          > Would anyone know where I can obtain seeds of this plant used for
          > winter salads? Reichardia picroides grows in Cornwall and in Italy
          > where it is called Grattalingua PFAF used to distribute the seed,
          > but don't now!

          I remember growing Reichardia years ago when PFAF were giving out the
          seeds to try.
          However, I don't remember it being eyebright, which is a little
          flowering plant of the southern chalk downs in England - the PFAF
          website says Reichardia picroides is in the Compositae faimily (daisies
          and dandelions etc) which eyebright most definitely is not!
          I've just looked up eyebright on the PFAF website, and it's in the
          family Scrophulariaceae, Latin name Euphrasia rostkoviana.
          I'm not sure how this confusion has arisen.
          Regards, Hilary
        • Frank Schuurmans
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2007
            Reichardia picroides looks a bit like a Dandelion but
            the taste is much milder, it is an excellent salad plant,
            but it very much wants to flower, and the flower stalks
            tend to slow picking the leaves. Slugs don't seem to like it.
            At the moment I'm in Portugal (it's native here),
            and growing some from seeds I took from The Field.
            In Portugal it grows very well in winter and I get
            lots of big leaves (about twice the size compared to
            the ones at The Field). I probably can get you some seeds,
            but I expect you to pay the shipping costs.

            Cheers,
            Frank

            On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 17:55 +0000, fredericah_uk wrote:
            > Would anyone know where I can obtain seeds of this plant used for
            > winter salads? Reichardia picroides grows in Cornwall and in Italy
            > where it is called Grattalingua PFAF used to distribute the seed,
            > but don't now!
          • jonathantellerelsberg
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 13, 2012
              For those in the US and Canada, Mapple Farm (yes, Mapple with two Ps) lists it in their catalog: http://www.mapplefarm.com/Mapple_Farm_12/____Mapple_Farm_Online___._Outside_Canada_files/4-2012MappleFarmBrochure-Seed.pdf