Reichardia picroides - Common Eyebright

  • fredericah_uk
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 30, 2007
      Would anyone know where I can obtain seeds of this plant used for
      winter salads? Reichardia picroides grows in Cornwall and in Italy
      where it is called Grattalingua PFAF used to distribute the seed,
      but don't now!
    • Lee Senior
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 31, 2007
        Have you tried - the seed company - Seeds of Italy? It
        may be worth a go?
        What is the taste like, and are they easy enough to
        grow?

        atb

        Lee

        --- fredericah_uk <fredericah_uk@...> wrote:

        > Would anyone know where I can obtain seeds of this
        > plant used for
        > winter salads? Reichardia picroides grows in
        > Cornwall and in Italy
        > where it is called Grattalingua PFAF used to
        > distribute the seed,
        > but don't now!

        now.
        http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/
      • stephen barstow
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
          The Agroforestry Seed Trust list Reichardia in their latest seed list
          (August 2007 � July 2008) which I received a week or so ago. However, it�s
          not on the Web site seed list yet: HYPERLINK
          "http://www.agroforestry.co.uk/"www.agroforestry.co.uk

          Stephen

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          17:21

        • Hilary Robinson
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "fredericah_uk" <fredericah_uk@...> wrote:

            > Would anyone know where I can obtain seeds of this plant used for
            > winter salads? Reichardia picroides grows in Cornwall and in Italy
            > where it is called Grattalingua PFAF used to distribute the seed,
            > but don't now!

            I remember growing Reichardia years ago when PFAF were giving out the
            seeds to try.
            However, I don't remember it being eyebright, which is a little
            flowering plant of the southern chalk downs in England - the PFAF
            website says Reichardia picroides is in the Compositae faimily (daisies
            and dandelions etc) which eyebright most definitely is not!
            I've just looked up eyebright on the PFAF website, and it's in the
            family Scrophulariaceae, Latin name Euphrasia rostkoviana.
            I'm not sure how this confusion has arisen.
            Regards, Hilary
          • Frank Schuurmans
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5, 2007
              Reichardia picroides looks a bit like a Dandelion but
              the taste is much milder, it is an excellent salad plant,
              but it very much wants to flower, and the flower stalks
              tend to slow picking the leaves. Slugs don't seem to like it.
              At the moment I'm in Portugal (it's native here),
              and growing some from seeds I took from The Field.
              In Portugal it grows very well in winter and I get
              lots of big leaves (about twice the size compared to
              the ones at The Field). I probably can get you some seeds,
              but I expect you to pay the shipping costs.

              Cheers,
              Frank

              On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 17:55 +0000, fredericah_uk wrote:
              > Would anyone know where I can obtain seeds of this plant used for
              > winter salads? Reichardia picroides grows in Cornwall and in Italy
              > where it is called Grattalingua PFAF used to distribute the seed,
              > but don't now!
            • jonathantellerelsberg
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 13 6:46 AM
                For those in the US and Canada, Mapple Farm (yes, Mapple with two Ps) lists it in their catalog: http://www.mapplefarm.com/Mapple_Farm_12/____Mapple_Farm_Online___._Outside_Canada_files/4-2012MappleFarmBrochure-Seed.pdf