Re: [pfaf] A question from Argentina (fwd)

  • hill8628
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 25, 2001
      from Bradford Angier's FIELD GUIDE TO EDIBLE WILD PLANTS:

      Hawthorn (Crataegus)

      ....Although readily distinguished as a genus, the numerous species are
      difficult in the extreme to differentiate among, although this is not too
      important to the individual seeking wild food. The fruit of all is edible,
      although it does differ greatly in quality when eaten raw.

      ...Taste differs greatly, however, and the only way to determine the
      palatableness of the particular fruit you've come across is by sampling it.

      Jackie from NY
      Hill8628@...
      Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 19:03:49 -0300
      From: Andrea Cordone <drakaika@...>
      To: Richard Morris <webmaster@...>
      Subject: A question from Argentina

      Dear Richard,

      I write you now because I need this information: Are all the species of
      Crataegus edible? I´m look in books, internet and ask to some people, but I
      not find the answer. Can you help me, please?

      I identify these species of Crataegus in my area: C.crus-galli and C.
      lavallei, but there are more species in my country.

      Thank you, Richard (and sorry for my english)

      Andrea Cordone

      NetZero Platinum
      Only $9.95 per month!
      Sign up in September to win one of 30 Hawaiian Vacations for 2!
    • Joanie MacPhee
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 26, 2001
        Crataegus, Hawthorne, is a genus in the Rosacea, a family of edible fruit,
        but with also medicinal and even toxic aspects (the seeds of many can be
        toxic in quantity). Crataegus is closely related to the apple tree, and as
        far as I know, like those of the apple, the fruits are all edible, but some
        are reportedly too bitter to eat or to bland to be of much interest. But,
        this is also a well known medicinal plant genus, so, the leaves, twigs,
        bark, roots and other parts, and even the fruit in large enough quantities,
        varying according to species, could have adverse effects upon some people.
        Here is an HerbMed page on Crataegus
        http://www.herbmed.org/herbs/Crataegus.htm
        with links to studies in several languages on the effects of preparations of
        Crataegus.

        But, in general, I would think that the fruit of all species of Crataegus
        would be edible, just not all are pleasant. Apples are all edible, but some
        are too bitter to eat. So, I guess this makes them inedible. So, I guess
        that my answer is that the fruit of Hawthorne is as edible as is the fruit
        of the Apple tree. I am not familiar with the species in Argentina,
        though...I would just taste them to tell.

        Joanie
        Massachusetts, US
        macphee@...

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 26, 2001
          Andrea,
          I can only speak of the Hawthorns here in North America and of the 26 or so
          that are according to Elias and Dykeman distinguishable, they all have
          edible fruit and list no poisonous look alikes.
          Linda in Georgia, USA