Perennial Kale

  • sandermathias
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 22, 2007
      Can anybody tell me where I could get some specimens of Brassica
      oleracea ramosa variety Daubenton? I live in Birmingham, and this plant
      can only be propagated by cuttings since it never flowers. Thanks
    • sandermathias
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 26, 2007
        Hello Stephen,
        thanks very much for your valuable information. I shall try and get
        some of those plants here in the UK. Do you know of any retailer who
        is likely to sell them?
        Mathias
        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Stephe <stephenb@...> wrote:

        > One of the oldest plants in my garden here near Trondheim in Norway
        at 63.5N
        > is a Sea Kale (Crambe maritima) (bought as so-called "thongs" or
        root
        > cuttings from the UK probably around 1982-83), so this plant is
        some 23
        > years old now! I protect in the winter using spruce branches, but I
        had
        > another plant that lasted 10-years without protection, so I don't
        think it
        > is necessary (just a precaution). I also now have another cultivar
        Lily
        > White. There was another cultivar offered in the UK
        magazine "Kitchen
        > Gardener" - anybody know the name of that one?
        >
        > I am also growing the 9-star brocolli for the first time here - but
        I'm
        > overwintering in a cold cellar as I suspect it's not hardy enough
        (even
        > hardy kales do not often survive the winter here - Sea Kale is more
        hardy in
        > my experience).
        >
        > I also tried Couve Tronchuda (Portuguese or Sea-Kale Cabbage) but
        it didn't
        > germinate (is this perennial?)
        >
        > Has anyone tried Crambe tatarica (Tatar Bread Plant)? Again the
        seed I had
        > didn't germinate.
        >
        > I will also try Crambe orientalis next year as I've just received
        seed.

        > Stephen

      • Mohammed Alal Khan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 26, 2007
          Can you inform me where can I get Veratrum album dry planrt?
          Thank you
          Alal