Re: [pfaf] Wikipedia's list of medicinal herbs

  • Infowolf1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 17, 2007
      In a message dated 7/16/2007 2:37:13 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      griselda1@... writes:

      The article I have here has lots more detail if you want it.

      Please post a copy here, and send me a copy
      Infowolf1 AT aol.com

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 17, 2007
        In a message dated 7/17/2007 5:42:20 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        martinwnaylor@... writes:

        It is also true that prescription medicine is the biggest killer in America
        2 years ago 700.000 people died from legal drugs [prescription medicine], 60
        % of prescription drugs have the essential ingredient derived from plant
        sources
        A lot of herbs don't have scientific proof because there hasn't been any
        investigations done
        also this is about chemical gangs like Monsanto controlling plans and seeds
        rights
        Martin

        which doesn't make herbs safe. You have to handle some of them carefully,
        but the most dangerous ones don't usually turn up in health food
        stores
        any more anyway.

        i think it is not the prescription meds so much as the mixing of
        them with
        things, that the doctor is not told about, or that the
        pharmacist is not told
        about, and these stupid people think if it is OTC it is
        harmless, and use it
        with prescription meds.

        Or with some herbs.

        Infowolf1

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 17, 2007
          Hello everyone,

          This thread opens up a huge topic relating to economic manipulation of medical practices.

          Drug companies cannot sell 'drugs' unless they own them. They cannot own them unless they are patented. A whole plant, herb, tree, mushroom, etc. in its natural form (unadulterated by man) cannot be patented because it is OF THE EARTH, not of a company's or individual's creating (see the neem issue). It has many components.

          This is where we come into the isolation of single constituents - which can be patented, due largely to Henry Kissinger, I believe, and the commodities market schemers.
          The drug company will not make as much money if it uses the WHOLE herb (or root, leaf, stem, mushroom, etc) because they do not OWN it. However, there is ample evidence pointing to the benefits of using the whole herb versus isolated constituents.

          Now companies can isolate constituents or compounds and synthesize them, cutting the earth and the grower out of the loop (this is without even getting into genetically engineered products - they can patent those, too). Then they can sell them. As soon as food items and drugs became part of the buying and selling game, the whole hypocratic oath went out the window, really. Think about it.. The doctor could prescribe an herb or other natural remedy for your condition, but the drug company is going to pay him to prescribe "x" amount of Ritalin or Paxil by the end of the year; so that's what you're getting.

          Oh, I know, there are a thousand stories about how little Jimmy was saved by the magical medicine, but look at who is doing the storytelling - at least in the mainstream.

          This leads us neatly back to Rich's request (you thought I had lost the plot, didn't you Rich?) - we have returned like a cycle on the land to the dire need for actual references to cases in which medicinal herbs worked and were documented in some sort of record.

          Please send anything you have in this theme to Rich at PFAF.
          (it wouldn't hurt to carbon copy us by clicking "reply to group" so that other people can hear about it.)

          I must bring up the fact that our present pharmacopia of drugs in the west comes predominantly from plants, many of them originating in the rainforest. But lets think of aspirin for a moment (that's paracetamol for you in the UK, I think). Doesn't Aspirin derive from the bark of willow roots? Surely there are numerous instances like this on record?
          Let's find them.

          I have to mention here that Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and Traditional Indian Medicine (Ayurveda) would also likely be prime sources. Thousands of years of practice has to reveal empirical evidence. Look at Tulsi, for instance.. Holy Basil (Ocimum sanctum) is one of the most prescribed whole-plant extracts in Ayurveda - Aswagandha (Withania somniferum) too. Both show evidence of being very safe stress relievers and adaptogenic herbs, among other uses.

          The trouble with this whole debate is that the traditional western medical community doesn't recognise anyone's evidence except their own. How do you prove the infallibility of the pope to a buddhist? Or explain life after death to a nihilist?

          Some of the writers in this thread suggest separating the listings of information in order to define the medical from the folkloric..
          Well i say that would be playing right in to the hands of the western critics of plant medicine - they'll claim we have backed off from our stance that medicinal herbs are a viable alternative to "drugs."

          I'll leave the thread there, because I need sleep.

          Peace and love,

          Steve

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 17, 2007
            In a message dated 7/17/2007 7:27:52 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
            icculus2000@... writes:

            Drug companies cannot sell 'drugs' unless they own them. They cannot own
            them unless they are patented. A whole plant, herb, tree, mushroom, etc. in its
            natural form (unadulterated by man) cannot be patented because it is OF THE
            EARTH, not of a company's or individual's creating (see the neem issue). It
            has many components.

            Actually, they can if they discover it and some are trying.

          • Rick van Rein
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 18, 2007
              Hi,

              > This thread opens up a huge topic relating to economic manipulation of medical practices.

              But on THIS list...?!?

              -Rick
            • Martin Naylor
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 18, 2007
                sorry mate
                but i am am stuck with a great person
                and quiting and again

                ProfesorRon Nielson

                The Little GREEN HANDBOOK [pg 40 ]

                The annual global market value of pharmaceutical products derived from the genetics's bank of of the earth's biodiversity has been $75 billion and $150 billion
                the annual global market for herbal medicines is 38 billion dollars of the top 150 top prescription drugs in the U S A IN 1997 WERE FROM BIOLOGICAL SOURCES

                So you are telling me
                that science knows the solution and our lives are nothing but a tool for society
                Your mate
                from the land down under
                Out of site out of mind
                martin

                Plant your plants and
                Let them grow

              • Dee Harris
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 19, 2007
                  Many of the so-called dangerous herbs are not as dangerous as you may think. It's the way that they are used and the amounts. Of course, a lot of study and practice goes into learning herbalism. I"ve spent years learning what I know about herbs and alot of the so called dangerous herbs I use quite often without any adverse affects. Learning and practice and more learning and practice is what is needed and study. Lots of study. Check everything out before using any herb. It's only common sense.
                  Wolf

                  martinwnaylor@... writes:

[...]

                  test'; ">

                • Dee Harris
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 19, 2007
                    Try Mrs Grieves Herbal. I don't have the full addy but all you need is the title I just gave. There are so many herbal sites that open up a whole new world on what's out there that is better than the patented medicines that the doctors are handing out like candy.
                    Wolf

                    Donald Sunday <donsonde20@...> wrote:
                    thanks for the information!It's really helpfull.

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_medicinal_herbs
                    A few people with a rather hard science atitude are trying to trash
                    the list, claiming its just unscientific fringe material.

                    Help could be needed in fleshing out the list finding good references
                    for the medicinal uses of the plants. Finding good authoritive
                    references could be really helpful.

                    test'; ">

                  • Dee Harris
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 19, 2007
                      May I suggest that they send these guys a copy of Culpepper's Herbal? LOL
                      Wolf

                      David Foale <anarchybob@...> wrote:
                      :D I love that attitude, sure, people have been using them for thousands of
                      years are just deluding themselves! I'm starting to think scientists even
                      misuse empirical evidence, the basis of their whole belief system...

                      David

                      --
                      Those who do not move, do not notice their chains.

                      phone: 0774 3917404
                      skype: daresbalat
                      msn: bobulatorm@...

                      test'; ">

                    • Martin Naylor
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 19, 2007
                        No 700,000 deaths are from the side effects, most drugs don't cure the alleviate, sure some herbs are dangerous and can kill, i am a qualified herbalist
                        we are a carbon based molecular system anything that affects that system is a drug
                        Martin

                        Plant your plants and
                        Let them grow
                        i'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
                        scorching this earth